Author Topic: Upgrading Rigol DS1074Z (1000Z series) to unlock options  (Read 87417 times)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Upgrading Rigol DS1074Z (1000Z series) to unlock options
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2016, 09:39:52 pm »
WARNING !! .....I used the unlock code DSER with my DS1074Z-S running Software ver.00.04.03.SP2, and it ulocked all the features OK, but it turned the scpoe into a DS1010Z, and disabled the Signal Generator.
I needed to send it back to the manufacturer to revert it back to a DS1074Z-S.
Has anybody been successful unlocking options on their DS1074Z-S without killing the Signal Generator?

I'm wondering if one of the 3 unspecified bits enables the signal generator?

Code: [Select]
   DSER - 00011 10000 00100 01111 - All options except 500uV/div
                      ^^ ^

i.e.  DSWR or DSNR or DSGR.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:41:57 pm by MarkF »

Offline stessl

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2016, 03:27:13 am »
I don’t know if the :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall, would have worked because I’m still new at this stuff, and was unaware of any workarounds at the time. I was able return it to the dealer in Sydney, and they had to send it back to China to be reset.
Has anyone else tried the “… :UNINSTall” to recover the Signal generator?
All the pre-installed trial Options have now disappeared from my scope. I don’t know if Rigol deleted them, or if they simply disappear after the trial period?
I would like to have go at unlocking individual options (assuming they’re still there)?
I’m guessing that unlocking the 100MHz option is what caused my problem.
But I’m reluctant to try it just yet ...
Has anyone had any feedback unlocking the scopes with Signal Generator?

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
news ?

Offline Odolyte

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2017, 03:04:06 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just got my DS1074Z plus.
Software : 00.04.04.SP1
Board : 2.1.4

This is very different from the previous posts !

Did anyone with the same machine managed to unlock all the features ? I'd like to know before doing something wreckless...

I tried "Gotroot" website, but it didn't worked (even on my local machine (got the same serials)). So i thought i might need to chill out a bit and check with all of you fabulous people before doing anything!!

Thanks!

Odo

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor

Offline Gluk

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:04 pm »
Hi!

I have MSO1074z with 2.1.4 board and 4.03.SP2 soft.  I am trying to open options.
1. Try to use riglol 1.03d Windows: enter the key and get "wrong licence" once. Then, with other codes "licence avoid for 12 hours". I have The same message  when send keys by USB or LAN.
What does it mean?

2. Trying to get dump. I have Olimex  arm-usb-ocd-h. When starting openOCD:

Code: [Select]
C:\openocd-0.10.0>bin-x64\openocd.exe -d1 -f scripts\interface\ftdi\olimex-arm-u
sb-ocd-h.cfg -f scripts\target\imx28.cfg
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
        http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
debug_level: 1
adapter speed: 5000 kHz
trst_and_srst separate srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_de
assert_srst
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
jtag_ntrst_delay: 100
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: JTAG scan chain interrogation failed: all ones
Error: Check JTAG interface, timings, target power, etc.
Error: Trying to use configured scan chain anyway...
Error: imx28.cpu: IR capture error; saw 0x0f not 0x01
Warn : Bypassing JTAG setup events due to errors
Error: unknown EmbeddedICE version (comms ctrl: 0xffffffff)
Warn : WARNING: unknown debug reason: 0xf
Warn : ThumbEE -- incomplete support

The board didn't has JTAG pins and I solderer it.
How to set up and use the openOCD properly?

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2017, 12:40:23 am »
Did you try just enter the code ?

It's very simple,Just generate the code and enter

Go to http://web.archive.org/web/20131215225141/http://riglol.3owl.com/

Offline Gluk

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:59 pm »
I used windows version of RIGLOL.
At first time i had msg "wrong license".

Trying now  i have msg 'license avoid for 12 h'. Now i enter the code by multi-functional knob.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:51:56 pm by Gluk »

Offline Gluk

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2017, 03:40:54 pm »
and now i have - 'invalid license'...

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2017, 04:02:55 pm »
Just follow instructions without change, that way works

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:08 pm »
Did you try just enter the code ?
It's very simple,Just generate the code and enter

Go to http://web.archive.org/web/20131215225141/http://riglol.3owl.com/

NO, it is not that simple! Please note that Gluk has an MSO1074Z. Hacking the MSO models, and the DS1000Z-plus models, is much more complex. I believe the relevant info is in this thread (but it's a long thread): www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/

Offline Homer1952

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2017, 01:10:25 pm »
Anyone have a failed Calibration routine after "upgrading"? - Bob

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »

Certainly not something I have experienced personally, and I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned in the main DS1054Z thread in the "test equipment" section. Have you tried power-cycling the scope, letting it warm up a bit, and making sure that nothing is connected to the inputs?

Offline Homer1952

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »
Yes, power cycled & no probes or other connections.  I have not tried it again, for fear that it may mess stuff up.  I figured that since new features were added, that the Cal process was in order.  Maybe there is a conflict between the software & hardware or maybe the "upgrade" does not update all players. 

This is a late ( I think) DS1074Z.  I did the website based upgrade & entered the code using the Utility selection.  The Board is Ver 0.1.1 & the SW is 00.04.03.SP2.  Options window shows all options installed & now shows the model as DS1104Z.  - Thanx Bob

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2017, 06:05:44 pm »
Yes, power cycled & no probes or other connections.  I have not tried it again, for fear that it may mess stuff up.  I figured that since new features were added, that the Cal process was in order.  Maybe there is a conflict between the software & hardware or maybe the "upgrade" does not update all players. 

This is a late ( I think) DS1074Z.  I did the website based upgrade & entered the code using the Utility selection.  The Board is Ver 0.1.1 & the SW is 00.04.03.SP2.  Options window shows all options installed & now shows the model as DS1104Z.  - Thanx Bob

Hmm, strange. I would simply try it again; don't think that this can make things worse. Maybe there was a power glitch or such which derailed the self-calibration, quite unrelated to the options upgrade?

I assume you chose the DSER option for Riglol, not the DSFR? DSFR comprises the 500µV sensitivity option, which is known not to work on the DS1000Z scope. Even when the 500µV option is installed inadvertently, I have not read about side effects affecting calibration. But if you should have installed it and if the calibration problems persist, de-installing that option might be worth a try.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2017, 06:38:36 pm »

Certainly not something I have experienced personally, and I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned in the main DS1054Z thread in the "test equipment" section. Have you tried power-cycling the scope, letting it warm up a bit, and making sure that nothing is connected to the inputs?
I did experience something like that in the past (I haven't tried this latest f/w yet) and I also remember that it has been reported in one of the 1054Z threads. Re-running it again right away, in the same conditions, and cal passed.

Offline Homer1952

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:10 pm »
OK, I may risk trying it again.  And yes I installed all options.  The 500uV option was the main impetus for me to do the Cal.  I wonder if the others who had bug issues, did the cal after the install??  And BTW, I have not read this entire blog and am a newbie here as well as with my Rigol.  Quite the departure from my old Tek 465. I am still on a steep learning curve.  I'll report back later today or tomorrow when I get a chance to try again. - Bob

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2017, 07:55:49 pm »
OK, I may risk trying it again.  And yes I installed all options.  The 500uV option was the main impetus for me to do the Cal.  I wonder if the others who had bug issues, did the cal after the install??  And BTW, I have not read this entire blog and am a newbie here as well as with my Rigol.  Quite the departure from my old Tek 465. I am still on a steep learning curve.  I'll report back later today or tomorrow when I get a chance to try again. - Bob

Yes, please do try the calibration again. But if it fails again, I strongly suggest that you uninstall all the options (via the :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall command) and start over with just the DSER option set.

The 500µV mode, besides being known to be buggy, should be pretty worthless. Already at the 1mV setting, the DS1000Z scopes do not increase the inut amplification any further, but just double the digital output values of the input ADC. I suspect that you just get more of the same at 500µV, i.e. 64 bits of input resolution scaled up to the full screen.

Offline Homer1952

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 12:27:04 am »
OK, I tried the auto cal again & it completed and said to restart.  Good news.
Maybe someone can expound on the buggy 500uV issue.  Does just its availability have a collateral effect on other functions/performance or is it just an issue when using that sensitivity?
Thanx - Bob

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 06:49:32 am »
OK, I tried the auto cal again & it completed and said to restart.  Good news.
Maybe someone can expound on the buggy 500uV issue.  Does just its availability have a collateral effect on other functions/performance or is it just an issue when using that sensitivity?
Thanx - Bob

The only problems I have seen described refer to operation at 500µV/div sensitivity; apparently there is a large DC offset in that mode, and maybe other issues. Not sure whether anybody has proven self-cal problems to be related to this option. But I would not be surprised if they occur when the scope tries to calibrate the flaky 500µV/div mode.

I would suggest cleaning this up, via the :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall command and a proper DSER "upgrade".

Offline Homer1952

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 11:49:18 am »
OK, thanx for the help.  I'll just deselect the 500uV should I have issues with that range.  I am not familiar with Telnet & I figure that poses a bigger risk should I screw that up and re-install. If I do have issues w/500uV, I will report my findings & reconsider uninstalling. - Bob

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
I did experience something like that in the past (I haven't tried this latest f/w yet) and I also remember that it has been reported in one of the 1054Z threads. Re-running it again right away, in the same conditions, and cal passed.
Update: I have now applied the f/w upgrade (with the extra options unlocked) and I've got a successful self-can only at the 3rd attempt.
- scope upgraded, power cycle
- self-cal -> failed
- retry self-cal -> failed again
- power cycle
- self-cal -> success

Offline dellsam34

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2019, 04:17:44 am »
I ordered the DS1074Z-S few days ago from Rigol website because it was the cheapest price I could find on the net however I guess I have to wait for a while to be made and sent out from China to USA. Anyway I have a question about upgrading the features, I mostly work on audio and old video equipment, Do I really need those upgrades or not?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:27 am »
I don‘t think Rigol builds these scopes to order, so you might get yours faster than you think. :-)

But to answer your question: Realistically you will have little use for the extra features. Maybe the advanced triggers can come in handy for some video signal glitch at some point? Anyway, no need to rush things. I would recommend that you use your scope as is to get familiar with it. If you encounter an application that would benefit from the advanced triggers, more memory, etc., you can always unlock them later.

Offline dellsam34

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2019, 08:22:36 am »
Thanks ebastler,
The order e-mail says lead time 8 weeks. Anyway, You're right I should probably use it and if I get to its limitation then it's time to upgrade.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf