Author Topic: USA (110V) Electrical Question: Can't find LED light dimmer with GFCI outlet?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline petrezaTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi,

I have spent more than an hour searching for such a thing and this is the only place I know to ask. It seems to be rarer than the teeth of a unicorn riding hen.

Basically I need this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-125-Volt-Combo-Self-Test-Tamper-Resistant-GFCI-Outlet-and-Switch-White-GFSW1-0KW/206000203

but with a little dimmer slider like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Toggler-600-Watt-Single-Pole-3-Way-Eco-Dimmer-White-TG-603PGH-WH/100663449

that is LED compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end.
Thanks!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
I don't know that they would make such a thing.

Can you not just get a dimmer and mount it next to your outlet?

• Contributor
It's for the bathroom. There is only one switch hole in the wall and modifications are impossible. So the only choice is to find a replacement.
Thanks!

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Hole?  Lol.

Just install a double device remodel box. If there's no room between stud location for a double box, install two single boxes vertically. Not ideal, but works, and allowes for the installation of two standard devices, switch, dimmer, recep., etc...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
I am imagining he doesn't want to try and cut a tile on the wall.

• Contributor
The wall is made of some kind of cement mix with a metal mesh for support half way through the wall - its not hollow. Also I am renting this place and if I did what you suggest the landlord will evict me.
Thanks though! But replacing the switch is the only way.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
You'll have to go without a dimmer. They can't fit a receptacle and all the dimmer electronics plus heatsink into a single combination device.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
One other thought... since you're renting, you shouldn't be messing with anything electrical for liability reasons. Just be careful. ;)

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Use the GFCI+switch you found, plus an in-line dimmer: http://www.truevalue.com/thumbnail/Electrical-Lighting/Switches-Outlets/Dimmer-Switches-In-Line-Cords/pc/4/c/58/497.uts

Ummmm, I'm guessing he's trying to control some canlight or a hardwired light fixture...

• Contributor
Yes, the dimming should be for the hardwired light fixture that is connected to the flip switch. The outlet is for general 110V use.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
If it's a standard light socket, perhaps buy an LED bulb with remote control
Just a thought

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
run a long cord for the plug :D

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
Would it be such a nuisance to run the light at 100% with no dimmer ?    That is what I have in my newly remodeled master bathroom.

Offline Doofenshmirtz

• Contributor
Make the problem easier?  Move the GFCI breaker to an outlet upstream in the circuit.  Then you only need to source a dimmer/outlet.

I'd hesitate to do this as a renter; as a landlord, I wouldn't be too happy if a renter did it without asking, but I'd be cooperative if they checked first and the work was done to code (i.e., a licensed electrician, at their expense).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf