Author Topic: USB-C only working in 1 orentitation  (Read 1660 times)

Offline horse_ebookmarkletTopic starter

• Contributor
USB-C only working in 1 orentitation
« on: May 09, 2023, 01:13:56 pm »
Hey. I've got a USB2 thing I want to have a USB-C connector on.
I have a problem where the device only enumerates in 1 orientation on the sink side. Both orientations power up the board, only the USB data channel is not working in one orientation.
I have a USB-C laptop (mac), a USB Type-C to Type-C 2.0 Cable, and the below circuit on the sink side.

What is required to have the cable be 'flippable'?
I have DP1+DP2 and DN1+DN2 wired together, and 5.1k CC resistors on the CC pins.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: USB-C only working in 1 orentitation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 03:40:09 pm »
Your schematic is correct, so you may have either bad soldering or a bad connector.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, sokoloff

Offline horse_ebookmarkletTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 01:54:52 am »
Oh yep, bad solder joint. Thanks!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55:17 am »
So you make a thread before even doing basic checks like continuity testing? Humm...
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 11:22:59 am »
So you make a thread before even doing basic checks like continuity testing? Humm...
In beginners. Posting the schematics. Clearly enumerating the problem statement and asking for guidance.

Seems entirely appropriate to me and something that I'd do, assuming that I misunderstood something and that the error was a design error rather a physical one. ataradov's response gave them confidence to eliminate that half of the problem space and guided them to the solution.

This is exactly what forums are great for. Bouncing a problem off other people who will bring a fresh perspective and help.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, CatalinaWOW, newbrain, Jacon, JustMeHere, soldar, meshtron

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:18:11 pm »
In beginners. Posting the schematics. Clearly enumerating the problem statement and asking for guidance.

Seems entirely appropriate to me and something that I'd do, assuming that I misunderstood something and that the error was a design error rather a physical one. ataradov's response gave them confidence to eliminate that half of the problem space and guided them to the solution.

This is exactly what forums are great for. Bouncing a problem off other people who will bring a fresh perspective and help.
There's always "cannot see the wood for the tree's" problem which a fresh mind or set of eyes might help with. Always worth the ask I say :-)

darkspr1te

Offline sparkydog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 06:57:56 pm »

There's always "cannot see the wood for the tree's" problem which a fresh mind or set of eyes might help with. Always worth the ask I say :-)

As a professional software developer, I have to concur. I've run into the situation many times where one developer is beating their head against a wall trying to solve some other problem and another developer spots the (often "stupid") solution immediately.

So... please be gentle. Most of us have been in the situation of struggling to solve a problem whose solution is, in retrospect, "obvious".

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 10:25:57 pm »
I'm sick of all the different USB connectors, I still prefer the big standard type, they seem to last longer, are easier to clean the contacts, and are the easiest to replace.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:27:29 pm by MathWizard »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 10:33:03 pm »
I've entirely switched to USB-C, no issues at all. And the footprint shown here is the most universal one. At least for general purpose use. Laptops would always find a way to use some obscure variant available from one vendor. But this is not new for USB-C.

In all my life I've only seen one USB connector fail. It was a micro-USB on early version of Atmel-ICE debugger, which was used daily for years. This was one of the early boards because almost immediately Atmel started putting epoxy around the  connector to add mechanical rigidity. I guess I don't abuse connectors, since they don't seem to fail for me.
Alex

Offline halfmoonmissing

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 02:36:09 am »

That is a little harsh. Someone wants to do and wants to learn comes to the beginner channel, publicly asks for help and your best offering is to try humiliate them rather than just not responding at all?

Had to respond. I loath bullies and you have to be called out.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 02:38:41 am by halfmoonmissing »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 02:23:26 pm »
I have nothing against newbies, of course I also slam my head from time to time to very dumb things!
Not really trying to be harsh at all, but I see a lack of attitude / self-discipline, anyone's task when having issues in a new built circuit is to make sure connections/soldering are good, *then* ask if nothing obvious appears, because if course he could have wired something wrong.
Checking this circuit takes 1 minute...  ;)
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline halfmoonmissing

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 01:39:12 pm »
I have nothing against newbies, of course I also slam my head from time to time to very dumb things!
Not really trying to be harsh at all, but I see a lack of attitude / self-discipline, anyone's task when having issues in a new built circuit is to make sure connections/soldering are good, *then* ask if nothing obvious appears, because if course he could have wired something wrong.
Checking this circuit takes 1 minute...  ;)

You CAN actually choose to help this person if you wish to rather than making them feel stupid for not having knowledge by osmosis or not having learnt good troubleshooting skills. You could ask or suggest to them "Do you know to run a continuity test and did you run one. If you don't try this Youtube video. It may be XY or Z". That is a much better response than making assumptions about the writers personality and their 'self-discipline' (whatever that means). Why the need to put them down publicly....... what is it that they have done to you personally to deserve that?

The following users thanked this post: tooki, sparkydog

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 09:20:49 pm »
Stop being over dramatic, this wasn't a public execution:

I just said in like "c´mon dude, you can do your homework better", not "WTF you lazy bastard".  :-DD

The rest is just me trying to explain myself in a non-native language so it might sound more rude or whatever.

My point of view is simple!
- Designed and built a circuit.
- Not working. Run to the forum.
- Check you soldered everything correctly, do point-to-point continuity checks, ensure the're no shorts.
- Everything ok? Now ask at forum.

Not humilliation-intented at all, it's just "fight for it, don't be so dependant, be resolutive".

I'm usually assalted like that, too often.

"Help! Not working!!"
"Did you read the manual?"
"No, I just connected it randomly"
"... RTFM!!!"

But this was not the case, neither my intention  :-DD.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:22:33 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline halfmoonmissing

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 10:26:11 pm »
Stop being over dramatic, this wasn't a public execution:

I just said in like "c´mon dude, you can do your homework better", not "WTF you lazy bastard".  :-DD

The rest is just me trying to explain myself in a non-native language so it might sound more rude or whatever.

My point of view is simple!
- Designed and built a circuit.
- Not working. Run to the forum.
- Check you soldered everything correctly, do point-to-point continuity checks, ensure the're no shorts.
- Everything ok? Now ask at forum.

Not humilliation-intented at all, it's just "fight for it, don't be so dependant, be resolutive".

I'm usually assalted like that, too often.

"Help! Not working!!"
"Did you read the manual?"
"No, I just connected it randomly"
"... RTFM!!!"

But this was not the case, neither my intention  :-DD.

I am very well travelled mate. The rude response you gave is personality. We have all seen it from schoolyard to workplace. That one person that puts others down. Its not geography, not cultural, not second language. It is a choice.

Just try learn to be nice to people. All people have different skill levels and learn at different rates. People are coming here for help and other long term members have provided help with no rudeness or attitude. You can do so too or choose to ignore. No need to put down newbies in the beginners chanell of a public forum meant..... well meant for newbies.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:32:31 pm by halfmoonmissing »

Offline hubi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2023, 01:53:47 am »
I am very well travelled mate. The rude response you gave is personality. We have all seen it from schoolyard to workplace. That one person that puts others down. Its not geography, not cultural, not second language. It is a choice.
A choice you have to make yourself as well, regardless of how well traveled you may be. Seems to me like you are trying to teach somebody to be nice by being rude and publicly attacking their personality and character. Maybe you should read through the CFW for KSGER thread, seems to me that David is a pretty nice guy and goes out of his way to help people. Based on the posts I've seen from him, I would tend to believe that he did not mean to humiliate the OP and let it rest.

Offline sparkydog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 06:05:43 pm »
@DavidAlfa, please re-read darkspr1te's comment about forests and trees and give it some more thought.

It's not unusual, when trying to solve a problem, to develop a sort of "tunnel vision" and get stuck focusing on where you think the problem is to the exclusion of checking anything else. Sometimes that includes the "obvious" things. A better (and IMHO correct) response when that happens is to pat the other person on the shoulder and remind them that most of us have done something similarly bone-headed. It's pretty hard to see your reply as anything other than insulting.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 06:15:13 pm »
I'm not having any tunnel vision lol, just check your work twice before asking for help, simple as that.

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 12:34:10 pm »
Odly Enough a recent event I had was just that,Story time

So my current project is hacking a OBD2 device from the usual sellers and everything was going well until one day i set to adding some features to the CANBUS side of the device and then spent the next two week debugging the heck out of the system, none of my new code was working and the old code worked sometimes and always after full power down, power up. I had just got to the end of my tether and had doubled checked wiring , code, backups of code known to work, everything. On the day i decided to park the project for a while as i was loosing the will to carry on a friend came to visit , He's a automotive technician and on my request had a look over the project in case i missed something, he had barley looked at the setup and just turned to me and said "Where's the terminating resistors" , You can insert the collective headslap gif here, Yes i had missed out the external 2x 120ohm terminating resistors in my testbench setup and wasted two weeks and blaming connectors or my code and a fresh pair of eyes took less than a minute. I didnt even both to confirm this and just added two 120ohms resistor to the first can point i could a re-ran the code and it worked.
Anyway the point is despite all i still could not see the wood for the tree's and a fresh look solved it. True i could have a eureka moment down the line but the fact was i missed the obvious and assumed much.

I can laugh today as I now see not all the time was wasted,i did write working code but h/w failed me but it's usable now.

darkspr1te

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 08:19:13 am »

You might want to check the forum rules:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/newbies-please-read-before-posting-24542/

Quote from: EEVblog
Regulars, please be extra nice to beginners asking questions. Do not deride them for anything, if you can't be nice, don't post.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf