Electronics > Beginners

Use an induction cooking element to solder a TV backlight LED bead on a strip?

(1/4) > >>

t1d:
I see lots of DIY induction forge circuits, but I am wondering if I can use a cabinet top single element induction cooker and solder paste to reflow on a single new LED bead. Seems like that would get around massively heating the aluminum heat sink strip. I am thinking that the only thing that would heat would be the solder.

I have lots of other equipment, skills and techniques, but I am wondering about this one, particularly. So, there's no need to cover other methods. I also understand the hazards of having leaded solder paste around cooking equipment.

Thoughts and suggestions, please and thank you.

Berni:
It is a bad idea because it is difficult to control the amount of heating and the heating will not be evenly distributed over the board.

Induction heaters work by well... induction. So since you need a loop area to have induced current this means that the most current flows close to the edge of the object you are inductively heating since that is where the loop area is the largest. You can see this for yourself if you put a small thin metal plate on a induction cooker, the rim of the plate will get smoking hot and perhaps even glow, while the middle does nothing.

If an induction cooker is all you have then i would recommend placing a thick metal plate on top of the cooker and then placing your board on top of that. This turns it into a good ol electric hot plate that does work well for reflowing boards.

perieanuo:
short answer, no

Caliaxy:

--- Quote from: t1d on October 13, 2021, 06:07:13 am ---I am thinking that the only thing that would heat would be the solder.

--- End quote ---
Is your solder magnetic?

Jwillis:
Induction only heats magnetic metals . Typically ferrous metals like iron , steel , and nickel steel alloys . Tin , Silver and Lead are not magnetic .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version