Author Topic: Use some computer Hard Drive help.  (Read 521 times)

Offline CramboneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Use some computer Hard Drive help.
« on: March 09, 2024, 09:04:12 pm »
If you look at the picture hard drive 1 is being replaced with 2, I’m not sure what adapter or cables I will require to swap over. I’m a Computer idiot so be kind.

Thanks , Drew

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: Use some computer Hard Drive help.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 09:07:33 pm »
Why?
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 09:20:43 pm »
Drive 1 is SATA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA
Drive 2 most likely is 2.5" IDE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#IDE_and_ATA-1

Even if an adapter exists, it may be cheaper (and simpler) to get a new SATA drive.

The following users thanked this post: Crambone

Online selcuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 09:29:33 pm »
Looks like your mother board has both SATA and IDE connectors. If you have spare connector on that IDE cable (Normally they have 3 heads, 1 to mother board, 2 to devices), you can plug that and a spare power cable to the hard drive.

I agree that new SATA drive may be better as IDE drive is probably old tech.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 09:30:16 pm »
Drive 1 is SATA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA
Drive 2 most likely is 2.5" IDE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#IDE_and_ATA-1

Even if an adapter exists, it may be cheaper (and simpler) to get a new SATA drive.
I cannot imagine a scenario where it would make sense to install an old IDE drive today and much less as replacement for SATA.

Probably the sensible thing to do is install an SSD if the SATA drive needs to be replaced.

But we would need to know more and why.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 10:53:14 pm »
If you have to install an IDE drive and, there is no IDE port on the motherboard, you can use an IDE(PATA) to SATA adapter card. See attached. The required cable is a 80 wire, 40 pin PATA IDE ribbon cable.

Edit: For future finders, the adapter needs to be a bi-directional Parallel ATA(IDE) to SATA type. That's SATA into the motherboard and PATA(IDE) out to the HDD. The HDD should be visible in the BIOS as a SATA HDD. Deployment of a Secondary IDE device, which is normally the legacy CD-ROM drive attached to the same ribbon cable, might not be available via your adapter. Generally, one adapter per IDE device.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:08:49 pm by AndyBeez »

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 05:26:31 pm »
Those parallel interfaces (No 2) have been obsolete for 15 to 20 years, and it makes no sense whatsoever to use them. Those things are very slow, have little storage, and their age makes them unreliable. You can get second hand SATA drives for about the same price as an adapter. Those adapters also mostly make sense if you want to recover data from such an old drive.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:19:40 pm »
I have maybe 15 or more old IDE drives that I have taken from scrapped computers over the years. I have USB adapters so I can plug them in to a USB port and I use them for backups. They are good for that purpose. Plug 'n copy. Unplug 'n store.

And they are free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf