Electronics > Beginners

Using AC terminal blocks on DC project.

(1/2) > >>

rickey1990:
Hi I am currently in the design phase of a "Micro" solar junction board/ distribution box for 12v DC. The board will feature a 12v 20a non fused terminal for kettles and a 20a fused side (25A Fuse) with 4 10a pluggable 5.08mm connectors.

I have picked out some connectors PCB-8 / K14 , for the power in and kettle out. They say they are rated 40A but there's not really much info on them. Would anyone know the maximum amps at 12v or have used them before.

Also I had a look at some images of 60A solar charge controllers but to me they look alot like the 5.08mm 300v 10A terminal blocks. Obviously 12@10a is 120W , 300v@10a is 3000W. But I assume there's some sort of rule when using them for DC. Or is it as simple as saying  you can run 3000w at 12v through it.

Kind regards ,
Rick

BrokenYugo:
Amps are amps for the most part. AC/DC ratings are for things like switch and relay contacts.

WattsThat:

--- Quote ---Or is it as simple as saying  you can run 3000w at 12v through it.
--- End quote ---

No. 10 amps is the limit, not 250 (3000/12). AC or DC does not matter for a non-switching device, amps are amps as the previous posted stated. Think current = heat.

rickey1990:
Okay thankyou for your both your responses 😊.

exmadscientist:
Part of the reason you see terminal blocks marked as "AC" or "DC" is that the clearance (spacing) rules are different for AC compared to DC. So when they test and certify it, they need to tell you not just the test voltage but the type as well. If you are truly (extra) low voltage you can safely ignore all of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version