Author Topic: VGA cable to IDC-10 cant get it right.  (Read 1020 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
VGA cable to IDC-10 cant get it right.
« on: April 22, 2021, 01:50:29 am »
Hello, I am trying to make one of these cables so I can use a monitor, keyboard and mouse to successfully use a repurposed firewall machine as a regular computer with ten gigabit ethernet network interfaces.. I'm on my third try. This is what I want so I can use the machines internal VGA headers.. (it has two, one for the server part and one for the LOM which I know literally nothing about.. But I'm curious what I can do with this harware which wasnt that expensive (although I bet the electricityit uses will be unles I can slow down the fan, which is super loud..Proably can be controlled if I can just bring up the bios.. )  This is the cable I need to make.  to adapt the internal header to a standard VGA monitor ..

https://pinoutguide.com/Audio-Video-Hardware/checkpoint_utm-1_pinout.shtml

Ive tried two kinds of ribbon cable some light blue ribbon cable made by BERG electronics (a dupont company).. and rainbow ribbon cable. Both are kind of old. But they are the exact kinds of cable other people use, as far as I can see.. successfully.

my problem is when I have finished making it the way it seems supposed to go, many but not all, not all of the connections have continuity..

So, you IDC cable experts, I know you are here, what are the magic things I need to do to make a great 10 conductor IDC cable. (often used for JTAG cables, and serial interconnects too.. at least I have used them for that..in the past. I have a bag of IDC connectors with little teeth in them its supposed to pinch the ribbon cable. I was using my vise grip pliers to squeeze it shut. I used a plastic T-square to get the angle right, pretty much.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:34:29 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
Re: VGA cable to IDC-10 cant get it right.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 02:15:12 am »
Just make sure the key on the connector points the same way.  That is if the first one points away from you, the second one should too.  For "setting" the connector, press evenly.  I like to tap it with a hammer, but put something like wood in between the hammer and the connector.  This will distribute the force and apply it evenly.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 02:41:58 am »
you can always get one of these IDC crimp tools if you have a few to do
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3195121.pdf

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 03:56:04 pm »
I've always just used a nice hardwood block on top and a hammer.
PanaVise (and others) make small arbor presses for doing this.
3M makes (expensive) presses: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/3640/248519
If you have a beefy drill press (and you won't hurt it) you could even use that.

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:23:59 pm »
And one size fits all, presumably, right?

you can always get one of these IDC crimp tools if you have a few to do
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3195121.pdf
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 07:33:56 pm »
I just use one of those small vices that clamp to the edge of the bench. Pressing is always going to be more controllable and accurate than hitting, where a lot of the energy is lost in the rebound, block of wood or no.

Offline fordem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 07:26:47 pm »
Make sure that the IDC connector you are using matches the conductor spacing of the cable - I use a small panavise vise and gently tighten it down to squeeze the cable between the connector and the back.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 09:57:29 am »
I've always pressed them in a vice, just an ordinary metalworking vice with smooth jaws.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf