Author Topic: Voip telephone ringing signal, trying to make a rotary phone ring!  (Read 3837 times)

Offline belzrebuthTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voip telephone ringing signal, trying to make a rotary phone ring!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2022, 02:23:24 pm »
what you need is a voip gateway with a FXS port. connect the ethernet port to your network, FXS port to your old rotary phone. configure the gateway for pulse dialing.. and that's all you need.
Nice! But this phone is not mine to keep; it's meant to be a birthday present to someone that doesn't have a clue about what you're saying.
It should be plug and play into the typical modem/router voip scenario that everyone's got at home nowadays.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2022, 03:36:42 pm »
Ah a gift, that is nice. But the schematic you showed has some flaws.

It needs a series protection diode and resistor in the supply line. It depends a bit on what the off hook voltage level is before the regulator on how big the resistor needs to be. I would also add a 10, 22, or 47uF capacitor before the regulator. Make sure it has sufficient voltage rating.

Also make sure that the circuit is only under power when the phone is off the hook. For this it needs to be connected after the hook switch.

Furthermore to make the dial disc work I would recommend the filter circuit used in the other schematic on the site you linked to. It needs at least pull up resistors to the 5V. Something like 10K, 4K7 or 2K2. Depends on what works best.

What is also missing is the audio output for the tones to do the dialing. So you have to combine the two schematics to make it work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 03:48:23 pm »
Ah a gift, that is nice. But the schematic you showed has some flaws.

If I manage to get it working that is, otherwise maybe a box of chocolates will do..
The schematic is supposed to be working if the wiring is properly adapted to the device.
It needs a series protection diode and resistor in the supply line. It depends a bit on what the off hook voltage level is before the regulator on how big the resistor needs to be. I would also add a 10, 22, or 47uF capacitor before the regulator. Make sure it has sufficient voltage rating.

Also make sure that the circuit is only under power when the phone is off the hook. For this it needs to be connected after the hook switch.
So GND of the whole circuit should be switched since I don't think that the positive line is switched anywhere, could be wrong on that though.
Furthermore to make the dial disc work I would recommend the filter circuit used in the other schematic on the site you linked to. It needs at least pull up resistors to the 5V. Something like 10K, 4K7 or 2K2. Depends on what works best.

What is also missing is the audio output for the tones to do the dialing. So you have to combine the two schematics to make it work.
I'm wondering how the author cut down on the first schematic and still managed to make it work.
I'll see what I can do and report back on my progress.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 04:29:23 pm »
what you need is a voip gateway with a FXS port. connect the ethernet port to your network, FXS port to your old rotary phone. configure the gateway for pulse dialing.. and that's all you need.
Nice! But this phone is not mine to keep; it's meant to be a birthday present to someone that doesn't have a clue about what you're saying.
It should be plug and play into the typical modem/router voip scenario that everyone's got at home nowadays.

it won't get any more plug & play than the gw with a FXS port... sorry.

if you just want to make it ring for shits & giggles then it's 20Hz AC 60V RMS on top of a 48V DC what makes it ring (in other words 20Hz 60V AC with a 48V DC offset).

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 05:49:11 pm »

VoIP capable routers come with a built-in VoIP ATA with FXS ports (for telephones). The VoIP ATA provides all required signals, like ringing and MWI. Many support the configuration of specific voltages and frequencies, some support pulse dialing. No need for additional circuitry to make the telephone ring!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 06:07:52 pm »
I've already made it ring!
It's on the first page.
I'm now in the process of figuring out how to make it call..
Perhaps rob77 didn't read the thread from the start and I didn't understand that he was talking about ringing only.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 07:24:41 pm »
Possibly the Vodfone router doesn't support pulse dialing. In this case you can add a pulse to tone converter to the old phone.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2022, 07:07:24 pm »
Okay I found the points I need to use.
The pulse point is the yellow wire (marked 12 on the schematic) and the dial switch is the green wire marked 14.
Disconnecting either of these from the phone PCB makes the phone dead when it's picked up. No dial tone is heard from the speaker.I thought I should disconnect the dial from the rest of the telephone circuit in order to isolate the pulse sending duties to the MCU and have the rest of the functions intact but doing that renders the rest useless.
What am I missing here?
It seems that yellow is connected to the line (+) on the bottom schematic ?
I don't understand the weird switch contact symbols on the schematic :scared:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:11:44 pm by belzrebuth »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2022, 09:34:24 pm »
Top is the wiring diagram, which should match the physical unit we can't see. Bottom is the schematic, which is a lot easier to look at to understand the circuit. There's a one-to-one relationship between similarly marked points, although not all points are labeled on both.

If it's not obvious, R=receiver, M=microphone, Bz=buzzer/ringer. AS = hook switch, contacts closed when off-hook. D = dial switch, and it looks like the microphone spring contacts to the carbon mic are shown on the wiring diagram (the M's in the D area). I'd say isolating the dialer is non-trivial from the mechanical and wiring point of view.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2022, 10:00:40 pm »
Thanks for the info Nusa.
What I'm trying to do is compare my phone to the simplified schematic posted here:
https://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~lester/pv/Rotatone3.pdf
This a rotatone installation manual.This device perfoms a task similar to the one I DIYed.
The guy who made the circuit I'm trying to install in the phone says that it should work if wired like a Rotatone.
As I understand it the dialer circuit needs to be on the +ve side of the phone as well in order to short it out and transmit the pulses.
So that's where the connection brakes and the receiving end of the phone dies out when the dial is disconnected.
I think that the yellow cable connects to the +ve side thru a transformer as it's not reading as a straight short. I don't yet know what the dial switch (green cable) does.
My reasoning of hotwiring these somehow would be that when you pick up the phone to receive a call you don't mess with the dial at all; so there must be a way of taking it out of circuit and keeping the rest of functionality the same, besides there are already a lot of people that have already done it!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2022, 10:14:44 am »
Okay there's some progress.
I connected the yellow to green (the ends that go to the switch) and the receiver end still worked so I connected the points where yellow and green used to go to the MCU and it's actually doing something now!
It seems to be dialing but I always get that the subscriber I've called does not exist.
So there's something that confuses it.
I know I'm a lot closer than before but maybe I missed something yet again.
There's another pair of cables; brown and yellow those are normally closed and they go open when the dial is turned.
I don't know what I should about those yet.
I guess it prevents the phone from ringing when you dial?!
Maybe I shouldn't bother with that pair at all.
Any ideas of what might be the culprit of wrong numbers?
Provided that the circuit I'm using works..
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:28:30 am by belzrebuth »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf