Author Topic: Voltage boost circuit to constant current (solved:User error)  (Read 509 times)

Offline RajTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
So I tried to turn a voltage boost circuit to a constant current one and ended up charring the current sense resistor
I intended to mod an mt3608 by replacing the R1 with a LED that needs 600mA and had 1ohms for R2 as in diagram
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 05:47:12 pm by Raj »

Offline RajTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voltage boost circuit to constant current
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:10:55 pm »
When I put it to test, the resistor started to glow brighter than the led (cause the led was an IR one  :-DD)
The voltage across it was 2 volts and current through it was 1.5A. Luckily the LED survived somehow.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:14:27 pm by Raj »

Offline RajTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 04:15:32 pm »
Stupid me realized that input voltage was higher than output and it's a boost circuit. Please delete the thread. case closed  :-DD  Realized while I was typing my input voltage. I intended to use a 15V LED but tested the circuit with a 1.5v led as a stand in.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 04:21:38 pm by Raj »

Online CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 07:47:44 pm »
They don't make 15 volt LED's. And you don't put 600ma through a LED.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:26 pm »
Why be so pedantic?

One can buy power LEDs which are really multiple LEDs connected in series and parallel. A forward voltage of 15V would be five LEDs in series and there are power LEDs which can easily handle 600mA, even single dies.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline RajTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 03:58:22 am »

Cob cluster of LEDs indeed, but the seller didn't use an 's' after led(s) either. :scared:
anyway, tested it with the intended led and it works...just need to stress test it now. :bullshit: :-BROKE need to make a water cooled mount for it first.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 04:04:28 am by Raj »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 12:36:03 pm »

Cob cluster of LEDs indeed, but the seller didn't use an 's' after led(s) either. :scared:
anyway, tested it with the intended led and it works...just need to stress test it now. :bullshit: :-BROKE need to make a water cooled mount for it first.
I wouldn't recommend running it at the maximum rating current continuously. LEDs are less efficient at higher currents, so run at 75% or 80% of the maximum for long life and you'll barely notice the reduction in brightness.

Online CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 02:08:21 pm »
With 600ma through the resistor it would radiate .36 watts of heat so you need a 1/2W or even a 1W resistor for good measure. I missed the fact that the LED was the load your were driving. I though you were using it as a regulation element for an external load connected to VOUT. Now it all makes more sense. When I saw the node called VOUT it looked like you were driving something not shown in the schematic. If that LED really does drop 15 volts at 600ma you have 9 watts of heat in a tiny area. How many lumens does that LED make?
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline RajTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 05:40:13 pm »
With 600ma through the resistor it would radiate .36 watts of heat so you need a 1/2W or even a 1W resistor for good measure. I missed the fact that the LED was the load your were driving. I though you were using it as a regulation element for an external load connected to VOUT. Now it all makes more sense. When I saw the node called VOUT it looked like you were driving something not shown in the schematic. If that LED really does drop 15 volts at 600ma you have 9 watts of heat in a tiny area. How many lumens does that LED make?

oh, another omission of facts, the led I used to test it was-https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803465818683.html

While final wil have -https://quartzcomponents.com/products/5w-led-chip-high-power-cool-white-cob-light-300ma?_pos=2&_sid=79840cc95&_ss=r
and
https://quartzcomponents.com/products/10w-led-chip-high-power-cool-white-cob-light-300ma

Since I doubted that modifying a constant voltage circuit into a constant current circuit will work, I wanted to test out with LEDs that I no longer need.
so final will be 0.6v across and 300mA through the resistor, (180mW) which will work out fine for 250mW resistor, though I won't mind using 4 resistor to get same resistance just to make cooling them easier.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 05:43:27 pm by Raj »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf