Author Topic: Voltage on LED driver chasis  (Read 700 times)

Offline CranberryFireTopic starter

• Contributor
Voltage on LED driver chasis
« on: January 17, 2022, 03:01:13 am »
I have some meanwell HLG drivers and I am measuring about 1.3v from me to the chasis(touching it with a sensitive part of the skin like the wrist gives a slight shock). Chasis is grounded, and live and neutral are not reversed. Any ideas whats going on?

Offline Munyua44

• Contributor
  • !
Re: Voltage on LED driver chasis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 04:37:32 am »
i think there is a discontinuation of the grounding somewhere in the chassis. You should try doing it at random places in the chassis and see the reactions that you get.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 07:48:54 am »
Sounds like it's not grounded or maybe grounded to neutral or your mains ground is not actually grounded? :o

That being said, I wouldn't touch random parts of the chassis to see where it kicks you the most but inspect the device and/or check continuity with DMM (disconnected from mains).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:54:32 am by magic »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 10:28:49 am »
Have you checked the earth connection? If it's good, then don't worry. It's normal and is due to the tiny leakage current through the Y-capacitor.

Offline CranberryFireTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 06:17:29 pm »
Sounds like it's not grounded or maybe grounded to neutral or your mains ground is not actually grounded? :o

That being said, I wouldn't touch random parts of the chassis to see where it kicks you the most but inspect the device and/or check continuity with DMM (disconnected from mains).

The chassis is grounded to the ground prong of the plug, I had checked that already with my DMM.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:13 pm »
That's weird, I would expect to feel nothing when touching a truly grounded object, unless simultaneously touching some other ungrounded object with some voltage on it.

I had one of those "tingling" ungrounded power supplies and it only tingled when I touched it with one hand and grounded stuff with the other.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf