Author Topic: Voltage regulators - Exact meaning of min/reg/max output voltage in data sheet  (Read 1120 times)

Offline 9voltbrainTopic starter

• Contributor
I need a fixed voltage reference for my circuit. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's the same all the time, so I can design my circuit around it.

I'm looking at a cheap voltage regulator that says the output voltage is anywhere between 4.8 and 5.2 volts. My question is, is it going to fluctuate between those values depending on circuit conditions, or will it always be a fixed specific value somewhere in that range, that's just different between units?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
It will be mostly fixed in that range. There will be some dependency on the load and input voltage too, but that is usually specified separately and may or may not be included in that range, it depends on the part.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: 9voltbrain

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
I need a fixed voltage reference for my circuit. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's the same all the time, so I can design my circuit around it.

I'm looking at a cheap voltage regulator that says the output voltage is anywhere between 4.8 and 5.2 volts. My question is, is it going to fluctuate between those values depending on circuit conditions, or will it always be a fixed specific value somewhere in that range, that's just different between units?
If you check the datasheet you will probably find that the specified range of 4.8 to 5.2V applies for a range of operating conditions:
  • Input voltage ranging from minimum usable operating voltage to maximum specified operating voltage
  • Load current from minimum specified load current to maximum permissible load current
  • Junction operating temperature less than maximum allowable
The manufacturer typically specifies the performance in this way to give the design engineer the required information for performing worst case design analysis.

However, for a given fixed set of operating conditions, the regulator will stay moderately constant in its output voltage in normal operation. You can determine any deviations by looking at the following spec figures:
  • Load regulation will show the variation of O/P voltage as the load current is varied
  • Line regulation will show the variation of O/P voltage as the input voltage is varied
  • Temperature coefficient will show the variation O/P voltage as a function of junction temperature
Also affecting the O/P voltage are ripple rejection, noise and long term drift. You need to take into account all of these figures before you can determine whether your regulator will provide a sufficiently stable O/P voltage for your purposes.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Regulators have a voltage reference in them, common values for such references are 1.25v and 0.6v  - the regulator uses the output of the voltage reference to adjust the output voltage and keep it as fixed as possible.

These voltage references are factory calibrated up to some limit so you get some variation from chip to chip but usually very small
These references are also affected by temperature so as the regulator heats up the output of the reference could drift a tiny bit - fancier regulators will have internal compensation for this, cheaper ones won't.

So it's normal for a datasheet to specify a minimum , typical , maximum even on a fixed output regulator.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
If you need a voltage reference, use a voltage reference.  TL431 is the classic jellybean reference.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Contributor
If you need a voltage reference, use a voltage reference.  TL431 is the classic jellybean reference.

Actually, if I just need a voltage reference to stay at the same voltage over time, and don't care much what that voltage actually is, can't I just pick any diode for the job, and then design my circuit around its exact voltage drop?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Diode forward voltage drop decreases 2mV per °C, so they are more often used as thermometers than voltage references.

TL431 is good enough for nondemanding applications, as is any voltage regulator (mind that they often have minimum load current for correct operation).

• Contributor
Diode forward voltage drop decreases 2mV per °C, so they are more often used as thermometers than voltage references.

TL431 is good enough for nondemanding applications, as is any voltage regulator (mind that they often have minimum load current for correct operation).

My application is just to feed the voltage into the + input of an OP-AMP, so I don't really need any constant current. Do all regulators/references have minimum load current, or just the diode-based ones?

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor

My application is just to feed the voltage into the + input of an OP-AMP, so I don't really need any constant current. Do all regulators/references have minimum load current, or just the diode-based ones?
The TL431 is  a shunt regulator, which requires 1mA to work properly.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl431.pdf

No not all regulaors and references require a minimum load current. Read the data sheets for more information.

• Contributor
So I bought this LM285-1.2 shunt reference. https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm285-1.2-n.pdf

I made this circuit to test it, and I'm not able to get it to stay at the same output voltage when the input voltage changes. A 2 volt Vin difference results in something like 20mV difference in Vout. Is it supposed to be like that? Is there a specific ratio between the resistor and the load resistance I'm supposed to use?

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
So I bought this LM285-1.2 shunt reference. https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm285-1.2-n.pdf

I made this circuit to test it, and I'm not able to get it to stay at the same output voltage when the input voltage changes. A 2 volt Vin difference results in something like 20mV difference in Vout. Is it supposed to be like that? Is there a specific ratio between the resistor and the load resistance I'm supposed to use?
The change you are seeing is a little bit excessive. Are you sure it is a genuine part and not counterfeit?

You will get better performance with a little bit more reverse current through the LM285. I would recommend you should aim for at least 100uA current through it. Slightly better performance is obtained with up to 1mA reverse current but there lesser gains above that figure.

So, allowing for the load current with Rload = 300k, you need to reduce R1 to:

(6V - 1.23V)/(100uA +1.23V/300k) = 45.8k, say 47k.

• Contributor
That made it a little better, but not much. 10mV change per 1v Vin change. It also seems to have a mind of its own, where if I slightly touch or move a cable back and fourth, during the course of the next 10 seconds it's going to gradually take a trip up to 1.24v, dance around between 1.24 and 1.23, and if I touch a cable again it (maybe) comes to its senses and goes back to 1.225.

Meanwhile the LM317 (voltage regulator) isn't even budging 1mV when I do the same change in input voltage, and it's not even supposed to be accurate. Another question regarding that, if I just want the 1.25 reference voltage from it, can I just ignore the resistors and connect the adjust pin to ground?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:15:58 pm by 9voltbrain »

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
This is interesting. I have some LM385-1.2 which is essentialy the same IC as LM285 but rated for a narrower temperature range. I'll test and see how it works tomorrow.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
This is interesting. I have some LM385-1.2 which is essentialy the same IC as LM285 but rated for a narrower temperature range. I'll test and see how it works tomorrow.
Ok, so yes, it seems like there's something wrong with your LM285 or, maybe, the way you perform measurements.

I built the same circuit with LM385Z-1.2, R1=100k, Load=300k and measured the drop across the reference with Brymen BM869s in the 500k counts mode while changing V1 from 3.0V to 15.0V:

3.0V -> 1.22525V
15.0V -> 1.22527V

Last digit is fluctuating within a range of approx. +/- 2, so I specified what seems to be the middle point. Either way, it is obvious that it is very stable across a wide range of input voltage, or, to put it correctly, the current flowing through the reference.

p.s. any chance you mixed up the anode and cathode? Make sure that you identify the pins correctly, onsemi datasheet shows a front view pinout that's hard to misunderstand, unlike the TI's bottom view one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:43:21 pm by shapirus »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Contributor
Yep, I goofed. Completely missed the "bottom view" text, and connected it in reverse. Never considered that I had connected it wrong because I figured I shouldn't have gotten anywhere close to the correct voltage if it was the other way around.

Now it's stable at 2.222v 1.222v with any input voltage over 2-3v.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:52:01 pm by 9voltbrain »

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Now it's stable at 2.222v with any input voltage over 2-3v.
Something's wrong there again. Where does that extra volt come from? :)
LM285-1.2 has a nominal Vbr voltage of 1.235 V, that's what you should be seeing on a voltmeter connected between its cathode and anode.

• Contributor
Now it's stable at 2.222v with any input voltage over 2-3v.
Something's wrong there again. Where does that extra volt come from? :)
LM285-1.2 has a nominal Vbr voltage of 1.235 V, that's what you should be seeing on a voltmeter connected between its cathode and anode.

The extra volt came from me mistyping.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf