Author Topic: Want to wire this motor to the wall  (Read 2560 times)

Offline railstopTopic starter

Want to wire this motor to the wall
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:57:08 am »
I got this motor with squirrel fans, as you can see in the pictures, the label is clear and I do have the capacitor that came with it. That  leaves the black (H), white (L), and the blue wire. How should I hook this up? I will hook this up via 120v and a high low off switch. Thanks for help, its much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:58:59 am by railstop »

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Want to wire this motor to the wall
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:12:15 am »
What's not clear about the schematic on the label?

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:17:24 am »

Not the comment I came here for. Especially when posted in the "Beginners" section

I don't do motors, I do board replacements.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:45 am »
"wire this motor to the wall" implies a permanent installation, which (if your country flag is correct) must be done in compliance with the NEC.  I think its perfectly reasonable to ask:
to get you to explain your problems with the proposed installation and assess your competence to undertake it.

Depending on your reply, our help may vary from step by step instructions to "Get a licensed electrician"!

The following users thanked this post: railstop

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:34:06 am »
It's a two-speed motor. Blue is the common wire, which would normally be connected to neutral. Live is switched to either White (for low speed) or Black (for high speed). This could be done with a single pole, double throw switch, if there are ways to cut the power if the switch fails to disconnect. In permanently wired installations, you need to use contactors rated for the motor size to satisfy safety requirements.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:38:23 am »
It's a two-speed motor. Blue is the common wire, which would normally be connected to neutral. Live is switched to either White (for low speed) or Black (for high speed). This could be done with a single pole, double throw switch, if there are ways to cut the power if the switch fails to disconnect. In permanently wired installations, you need to use contactors rated for the motor size to satisfy safety requirements.
Plus:
Don't forget to attach a mains ground connection to the metalwork.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:00 am »
When people ask questions about connect something to the mains, members here will be rather guarded in their replies.  Telling someone to do something that they don't have any fundamental sense of what they are doing is risky - and when mains is involved, that risk includes injury or even death.

The first thing I will say is that, if there is ANY - and I mean ANY - possibility, no matter how remote, that someone could come into contact with the metal casing of the motor, I would be grounding it to mains earth.

Second, the connection to the mains is pretty much as illustrated on the label.  Blue goes to mains and the three circles around the black and white leads are representative of a switch.  With the black connected to the other side of the mains through the switch, the white will be disconnected and the motor will run at "High".  With the white connected to the other side of the mains through the switch, the black will be disconnected and the motor will run at "Low".

Third. Make sure any wiring you make is safe.  If you are not sure about how to do this, then you should not even attempt this.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:41:17 am by Brumby »

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:50:31 am »
Thank you for the replies. I'll be wiring this via a plug, not permanent. I am comfortable with wiring to 120v. The reason I ask this mainly is to make sure I don't screw it up. It's actually a perfect fan to make a solder hood fan. Taking in those fumes isn't good  ;) My solder station and IR station need something to help evacuate the smoke/fumes. I will be properly grounding and isolating.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:52:17 am by railstop »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:00:43 am »
Make sure your speed switch is break before make and is rated for inductive loads.  ;)

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:12:46 pm »

Not the comment I came here for. Especially when posted in the "Beginners" section

I don't do motors, I do board replacements.
Sorry, it wasn't intended to belittle  you.
But the schematic is quite simple so I just wanted to know what you needed to have explained.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf