Author Topic: Was this an inappropriate choice of power switch?  (Read 594 times)

Offline jameswilddevTopic starter

• Contributor
Was this an inappropriate choice of power switch?
« on: March 13, 2021, 08:10:54 am »
Hello.  Working on a project, just assembled a PCB and found that the power switch (a BS800L - might be a clone) doesn't seem to be working very well; the weight of the button cap is enough to make the switch open circuit if I turn the device upside down, and the power supply to the rest of the PCB can be disturbed just by nudging it with your finger.  The flickering here isn't auto gain, it's visible to the naked eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsSiMqcsq5s&feature=youtu.be

I'm pretty sure it's well soldered to the board - joints look good and I can see that it's followed the PTHs through to the other side.

The power draw at present is about 12mA, so within the 100mA spec of the switch.

The possibilities I can see here are:

- This might have been an inappropriate choice of switch.  Are there any specific things I should be looking for on a datasheet to avoid this in future?
- This might be a defective clone.  I have some of the non-latching variety from another vendor and the plastics are noticeably different between the two.   Could this be the problem?
- It's possible I damaged the switch by overheating it.  I'll note that I was careful to be quick when soldering its contacts and give cooling time between contacts.  Its mechanical action doesn't appear to have changed.  I've since replaced the switch with another from the same batch and it seems to act identically.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:16:10 am by jameswilddev »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Was this an inappropriate choice of power switch?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 10:53:54 am »
It's probably just a cheap dodgy clone switch if you bought it off ebay. It's possible to damage any plastic switch if you overheat or distort it during soldering.

Of the alternatives you listed, it's probably pretty much take your pick.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline jameswilddevTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Was this an inappropriate choice of power switch?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 06:07:14 pm »
Just to follow up on this: I found another supplier for the switch and the switches I got from them are noticeably different - plastics and contacts quite different.  Don't exhibit this problem at all and as a bonus the stabilization is considerably better.

So all good!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf