Author Topic: Welding work  (Read 2437 times)

Offline electromateria

• Regular Contributor
Re: Welding work
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 06:33:34 pm »
I made a small vibrating parts cleaner that uses an orbital sander and $4 plastic container
sheer genius,added bonus  is most  sanders use velcro to attach the sheets so no need to make things permanent

It really is an amazing solution! There's a really nice satisfaction that comes from taking dirty rusty parts (most people consider it "garbage") and making it brand new again with zero effort. I learned it from this fella, his channel is worth checking out:

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 03:40:41 am »
A lot of the machinist YouTube channels use Evapo-Rust® to remove rust. 
Just soak overnight and wash off.  I don't know how well it works on paint.
Note that a lot of them are sponsored by evaporust, or at least some restoration channels are.  Not saying it's bad, or the channels are doing anything wrong, as most seem to properly disclose the paid placement. But keep the facts in mind. If evaporust was going to ship me a 55gal drum of it to use, I would wouldn't pay much mind to price/performance, or any minor oddities it has during use.

Now I will say what works to remove rust that I've used has been citric acid in hot water. Had a pair of scissors that build up rust between the blades. Dunk in a hot citric acid solution, and it ate up the rust fast... But it doesn't leave shiny metal steel, but instead a black oxide finish. Dry it off and oil it if that's your thing. If not, other treatments will be better.  Scissors were nickel plated other than the faces touching each other and the cutting edge, which blackened and look pretty good now, imo.

Citric acid can also be used for pickling/passivation of stainless steel. Eats the iron near the surface, leaves the chromium, which makes a passivation film that doesn't rust. 

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 02:18:42 am »
A lot of the machinist YouTube channels use Evapo-Rust® to remove rust. 
Just soak overnight and wash off.  I don't know how well it works on paint.
Note that a lot of them are sponsored by evaporust, or at least some restoration channels are.  Not saying it's bad, or the channels are doing anything wrong, as most seem to properly disclose the paid placement. But keep the facts in mind. If evaporust was going to ship me a 55gal drum of it to use, I would wouldn't pay much mind to price/performance, or any minor oddities it has during use.

Now I will say what works to remove rust that I've used has been citric acid in hot water. Had a pair of scissors that build up rust between the blades. Dunk in a hot citric acid solution, and it ate up the rust fast... But it doesn't leave shiny metal steel, but instead a black oxide finish. Dry it off and oil it if that's your thing. If not, other treatments will be better.  Scissors were nickel plated other than the faces touching each other and the cutting edge, which blackened and look pretty good now, imo.

Citric acid can also be used for pickling/passivation of stainless steel. Eats the iron near the surface, leaves the chromium, which makes a passivation film that doesn't rust.

+1 for citric acid.

Phosphoric acid is also amazing:  it reacts with rust and forms a new compound that resists further corrosion.  Phosphoric acid can be found in some paint prep products,  I like Klean-Strip Prep and Etch, a little goes a long way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf