Author Topic: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?  (Read 119021 times)

Offline CharlotteSwissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Charlotte,

Do not kill yourself trying to choose which burger to get from a McDonald's fast food place, they all are equally poorly cooked. Just write the scopes model numbers on pieces of paper, put them in a hat, shake and pull one. Start your projects, let it ride and in a year you will know better what you need for what you are doing and hopefully will have some money saved and can upgrade to a proper scope.
thanks bud: rest assured that I don't kill myself for the choice; I still choose entry level models  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
having no experience of buying online for the oscilloscope ... I saw that the models I aspire to, I could buy them either on Batronix or on batterfly.com (the prices are about the same)
Are both stores reliable? have you had negative experiences?
thanks, good night
Charlotte

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Both respected dealers, pick the one closest to you.
https://www.siglenteu.com/how-to-buy/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Sure, usually one will only need one channel, or one channel and an external trigger input, or two channels with ext trigger. So a scope with separate vertical controls will have some front panel space, knobs, and buttons that aren't used very often. But think of it this way: You have extra probes!

I think the most versatile scope I ever used was a 4 channel LeCroy wave-something. It ran a version of Windows as operating system, and the oscilloscope application ran under that. It connected to the lab's LAN with a normal ethernet cable. You could actually pause or exit the scope application and surf the internet, watch YouTube videos, check your email, all while it was connected to a DUT.

(Another minus for the Rigol DS1054z is that it does not have an external trigger input. If you need external triggering, it becomes a three channel scope with the 4th used for trigger.)
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
having no experience of buying online for the oscilloscope ... I saw that the models I aspire to, I could buy them either on Batronix or on batterfly.com (the prices are about the same)
Are both stores reliable? have you had negative experiences?
thanks, good night
Charlotte

Check the vendor's return policy. If there is anything wrong with your scope when it arrives, it is far better to be able to return to the vendor for quick replacement, than to deal with the factory long-term warranty service.

I also recommend "burning in" your new purchase. That is, leave it turned on long enough to reveal any faults, and put it through all its paces, early in your ownership period. You don't want to let the scope sit there unused while the vendor's return warranty (30 days maybe?) runs out, then find out the scope has a fault later on.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
curiosity:
I'd like to know if it is possible to check with the oscilloscope if a microcomputer works well?
For example in my audio amplifier I have this SINGLE-CHIP 16-BIT CMOS MICROCOMPUTER:

If you are familiar with the chip you can check whether pins are acting weird.

Is there a clock signal? A stuck reset pin? Is there bus activity?

Provided the activity seems to be reasonable, does the clock signal look reasonable? (Although for modern processors you would need a higher bandwidth scope and proper active probes to check for signal integrity).

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
thanks borjam  ;)
I currently believe that 4 ch I don't need
you have two models that I have in the list..
just to speak, if you had to keep only one of the two, what would be the choice? (rigol1054vssiglent1202)
Right now it would be the Siglent. After a serious mistake they made with quality control and warranty service they have evolved and now they  look like a proper, adult company rather than an obscure soviet directorate. ;)

Offline ste222

cheap digital scopes are small and  work but are prone to noise especially if used with switch mode stuff  i like my old analogue tektronics 475  ok its old but the triggering is  so much better and can handle   the difficult waveforms  and copes with almost everything  i want it to do  my digital scope stays in the box most of the time the only draw back with old is be prepared to fix it once in awhile the good news is it is fixable unlike the digital ones  get a cheap  s/h analogue  and good probes and it wont cost a fortune if you do decide digital  go for the best you can afford   my digital  suffers from terrible noise when working on switch mode power supplies.

• Frequent Contributor
Both respected dealers, pick the one closest to you.
https://www.siglenteu.com/how-to-buy/
thanks, both seem reliable as stores  ;)

Sure, usually one will only need one channel, or one channel and an external trigger input, or two channels with ext trigger. So a scope with separate vertical controls will have some front panel space, knobs, and buttons that aren't used very often. But think of it this way: You have extra probes!
(Another minus for the Rigol DS1054z is that it does not have an external trigger input. If you need external triggering, it becomes a three channel scope with the 4th used for trigger.)
sure, but I think 2 channels is the best choice for a beginner like me (who doesn't work with projects that need 4 channels)
I see that you're talking about external trigger; if I look at the specifications for example of the siglent 1202, I read:
Trigger Type: Edge, Slope, Pulse Width, Window, Runt, Interval, Dropout, Pattern, Video
 :o maybe I'm falling from the moon, but then with trigger can you apply a signal to the circuit? (which would make a signal generator useless ...)

Check the vendor's return policy. If there is anything wrong with your scope when it arrives, it is far better to be able to return to the vendor for quick replacement, than to deal with the factory long-term warranty service.
I also recommend "burning in" your new purchase. That is, leave it turned on long enough to reveal any faults, and put it through all its paces, early in your ownership period. You don't want to let the scope sit there unused while the vendor's return warranty (30 days maybe?) runs out, then find out the scope has a fault later on.
I will definitely look, even if for online purchases the return is guaranteed by law (I asked here for these stores, because I see that many buy from them, maybe they gave me reassurance).
Batronix seems to have twice the time to return in comparison to batterfly...
I will try to use all the functions and understand if it has problems, but for this I will need your help here on this topic: I am totally inexperienced with oscilloscopes!  :-[

curiosity:
I'd like to know if it is possible to check with the oscilloscope if a microcomputer works well?
For example in my audio amplifier I have this SINGLE-CHIP 16-BIT CMOS MICROCOMPUTER:

If you are familiar with the chip you can check whether pins are acting weird.
Is there a clock signal? A stuck reset pin? Is there bus activity?
Provided the activity seems to be reasonable, does the clock signal look reasonable? (Although for modern processors you would need a higher bandwidth scope and proper active probes to check for signal integrity).
thanks, well anyway I see that something can be done anyway: certainly new microprocessors will have higher bandwidth, this seems to me about 20mhz therefore controllable. Of course, I guess it's not a walk to touch only one pin...

Right now it would be the Siglent. After a serious mistake they made with quality control and warranty service they have evolved and now they  look like a proper, adult company rather than an obscure soviet directorate. ;)
ok, thanks for your opinion  ^-^

cheap digital scopes are small and  work but are prone to noise especially if used with switch mode stuff  i like my old analogue tektronics 475  ok its old but the triggering is  so much better and can handle   the difficult waveforms  and copes with almost everything  i want it to do  my digital scope stays in the box most of the time the only draw back with old is be prepared to fix it once in awhile the good news is it is fixable unlike the digital ones  get a cheap  s/h analogue  and good probes and it wont cost a fortune if you do decide digital  go for the best you can afford   my digital  suffers from terrible noise when working on switch mode power supplies.

ste, your speech is reasonable; I believe, however, that for a beginner it is perhaps better to have an entry level digital oscilloscope and in any case I would not be able to repair even an analog one
 ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:25:54 am by CharlotteSwiss »

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
No matter in which e-forum, as long as it is a topic published by women(I am not sexist), everyone will be very enthusiastic, ha ha ha
I use the DS1104Z, with logic analysis function, can do more things, and use the DSLogic logic analyzer.

• Frequent Contributor
No matter in which e-forum, as long as it is a topic published by women(I am not sexist), everyone will be very enthusiastic, ha ha ha

I don't think I'm the only woman on the forum; there are simply women who don't just love gossip or stoves ... there is a world full of electrons to seduce
 ;)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
I don't think I'm the only woman on the forum

You aren't the only woman here.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
In fact I'm surprised none of of our female members has objected on the thread title yet!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:22:32 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
In fact I'm surprised none of of our female members has objected on the thread title yet!

They are too busy doing interesting things, e.g. launching rockets :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Yes, irrc we have a fair selection, hobbyists and engineers.
Best Regards, Chris

• Frequent Contributor
I don't see anything abnormal in the title of my discussion!
it doesn't mean which oscilloscope a woman needs, but it means which one is best recommended for an inexperienced woman! (I am the inexperienced woman, not all other women)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
it doesn't mean which oscilloscope a woman needs, but it means which one is best recommended for an inexperienced woman! (I am the inexperienced woman, not all other women)

It's just that what you hopefully mean is an inexperienced person. Sex really doesn't come into it.
Best Regards, Chris

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor

It's just that what you hopefully mean is an inexperienced person. Sex really doesn't come into it.

Neither does gender.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, Renate

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
^Thanks!  :-[
Best Regards, Chris

• Frequent Contributor
I honestly don't understand what's wrong with my title!
I seem to be asked which oscilloscope can be recommended for a woman who has a passion for electronics
 :-//
I specified woman, because it is not usual for a woman to have this passion (I said passion, not electronic work ... it's another approach in my opinion).
For example, I don't know any other woman, in my context, with this passion of mine. I pride myself on having this passion!
Charlotte

The following users thanked this post: atmfjstc

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Most people on this forum have a passion for electronics (both hobbyists and professionals), it's why we spend time here (for no other reward). It is clearly more common for  women to have a passion for electronics than to seem to think, I've worked with many successful and committed female engineers in my career, they didn't seem to need to draw attention to the fact though (equal treatment as long been a, mostly achieved, goal).  I'm sure you have a passion for your hospital work too. You don't have any sort of monopoly on passion! People of any gender can, and do, have passion for things.

Edit: By all means, take pride in your passion, but don't claim it as something specific to your gender.

I can't see why you don't seem to be able to understand this!  :-//
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:03:06 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Renate

• Frequent Contributor
I don't think it's appropriate to talk about off-topic things.
I simply asked for a purchase advice and many nice people in here helped me. For me this is what matters.
Today or tomorrow I order my first oscilloscope (siglent sds1202x-e)
peace and love
Charlotte

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Indeed (and we are mostly all nice people here). this kind of backward and forward is not something I intended, I you don't  'get it', then there's no point in labouring the point. maybe others might have stronger views on equality, I am very happy with it.

Enjoy your scope with a passion.  ;)

Chris
Best Regards, Chris

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Today or tomorrow I order my first oscilloscope (siglent sds1202x-e)

Have fun, safely :)

• Frequent Contributor
safety first: I'll start measuring simple components on the breadboard powered by the bench power supply (less than 12vdc).
As soon as it arrives I will share these first emotions here in the discussion
 ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf