Author Topic: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?  (Read 118994 times)

Offline CharlotteSwissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
thanks rstofer, these days I am busy at work, but in 3-4 days I will study the precious tips you wrote and I will do the tests
 ^-^ :-+ ;)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Just a suggestion for another experiment I did years ago.  Make a constant current source, then plot voltage for your capacitor.  I used a polyester/Mylar capacitor, as I recall.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
There is quite a fan club for 555 timer projects.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555_oscillator.html

According to this calculator, R1 = 6.8k, R2 = 68k, C = 0.1 ufd will give 101 Hz, 52% Duty Cycle.  You can't get to exactly 50% duty cycle with this simple circuit but this is pretty close.  I am aiming for 80 Hz so it matches my Analog Discovery 2 experiment but this might be good enough.

I might use a potentiometer on R1.  I would want a 1k fixed series resistor so that the resistance can never be 0 Ohms so a 10k pot might be just about right.

https://circuitdigest.com/calculators/555-timer-astable-circuit-calculator

It's the 10:1 ratio of R1 to R2 that gives the nearly 50% duty cycle.

There's a 50% Duty Cycle circuit on the linked page above.  This is probably the better way to go.

Breadboarding something like this is pretty easy and will provide an opportunity for further scope experiments.
This x10 !
Building, scoping and experimenting with a 555 is a right of passage into basic electronics and highly recommended all scope newbies follow this path.
With the experience and confidence gained building oscillators using logic gates is a next step.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
I'm lazy...

I wanted a simple way to get an 80 Hz square wave so I could duplicate the Analog Discovery 2 project I posted above.  I could then use the square wave to study the charge and discharge of a 10k, 0.1 ufd RC circuit.

Analog Discovery 2 is my preferred method, the 555 timer is pretty good and I could do a better job with less parts using an 8 pin uC.  But all I want is the square wave..

One line of code for an Arduino and it's done!  The boilerplate setup() and loop() stuff is created by the IDE

Code: [Select]
void setup() {
  tone(2,80);  // the only line of code I wrote
}

void loop() {
}

[/font]

Works fine...

The 555 is a handy gadget and worthy of study but when all you want is the answer, maybe the Arduino is a better choice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:48:35 pm by rstofer »

• Frequent Contributor
thanks for the advice guys, then I will calmly experiment and let you know  ^-^
Meanwhile, work calls ...  :palm: :phew:

Offline thequantizer

I also think the Analog Discovery 2 is the best device to get if you are starting out and dont have a tun of bench equipment. It has a tun of features. A few of the most useful ones are:

Digital Oscilliscope
    USB Logic Analyzer (Good for looking at SPI, UART, and I2C)
    Network Analyzer
    Waveform Generator

We wrote about and made a video on what it can do in this post if you want to see more info on it.

https://www.thequantizer.com/analog-discovery-2-best-function-generator-logic-analyzer-network-analyzer-usb-oscilloscope-for-beginners-and-pros/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:59:56 am by thequantizer »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Sometimes an Arduino Nano is a great choice for breadboarding.  It's hardly worth a photo, it's just a breadboard, a Nano, a 10k resistor and a 0.1 ufd capacitor. The waveform is the only important part

The Nano is as little as $3

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=arduio+nano&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
We wrote about and made a video on what it can do in this post if you want to see more info on it.

https://www.thequantizer.com/analog-discovery-2-best-function-generator-logic-analyzer-network-analyzer-usb-oscilloscope-for-beginners-and-pros/
Nice video!  I liked the AD2 at its old price of $279 a whole lot more than I like it at $419.  Talk about opportunistic pricing!  National Instruments buying Digilent was not helpful.

Nevertheless, it is my favorite tool for most tasks.  There's just something about having a 27" scope display.

If I were rich, I'd be looking at the Analog Discovery PRO 4 channel 50 MHz variant

https://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-pro-3000-series-portable-high-resolution-mixed-signal-oscilloscopes/

I'd have to think about the probes at $159 for a set of 4.

Still, I'm thinking about it...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:16:29 pm by rstofer »

The following users thanked this post: thequantizer

• Frequent Contributor
but I got the oscilloscope, I don't need a clone  8); instead it would be interesting to study systems like 555 or arduino...
sooner or later  8)
thanks my friends  ^-^

• Frequent Contributor
ok, i did a lot of tests on RC circuits and capacitor charging and discharging. I would say that I understand quite well how it works; in all cases we have a tension that varies quickly in the first moments and then diminishes.
In office, as explained above, I had different times on the field from the theoretical ones; in the discharge, using a 33uF capacitor and a 100k resistor, with a voltage of 10v, I had almost identical results to the theory.
I can be happy.
today I can say that I am an even more electronic woman  ^-^

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
That's great work!  All of the numbers match with the math.  Just for an exercise, you might run the time out to 2 Tau or more.

Offline thequantizer

Thanks! Yah I have found that the AD2 is capable of answering most questions I have for the embedded stuff I do, except for RF. That reminds me have you ever seen this device?

https://www.wimo.com/de/minivna-tiny?queryID=fc6c14f46243732617ba1bcd418cc33e&objectID=10650&indexName=wimo_live_wimo_b2c_eu_de_products

I bought that usb vna a few years ago and it works really well but I feel like it has also doubled in price.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?
« Reply #912 on: October 04, 2022, 07:57:29 pm »
Mentioned earlier in this thread was an issue with the scope freezing when screenshots were taken.
This has been reported again elsewhere and has be narrowed down to the USB stick not correctly formatted to work with SDS1202X-E.
Detail is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg4447837/#msg4447837
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #913 on: October 05, 2022, 03:57:34 am »

Hello, I'm Charlotte and I live in Switzerland  :)
I work in the hospital, but my hobby is electronics; i try to repair electrical devices, 99% of the time I don't solve the problem, but that's okay
 ^-^
Women usually read gossip magazines  :-//
but there are women who prefer to make love with electrons  ^-^
My equipment is: soldering station, two multimeters, bench power supply.
I'd like to start a seductive relationship with an oscilloscope..   :palm:
I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want to buy the worst...
For example the model Rigol ds1052E is ok for beginner woman? or better Rigol ds1202z-e (200mhz) ?
Other brands on these prices?
Do you have any advice for me? i am in your hands...
thanks
Charlotte
 ^-^

I would say make sure you get one that comes with makeup and a case for that makeup and a small mirror (ha ha just kidding there).

Seriously it does not matter if you are male or female or something else, a scope is a scope.  Price will usually be commensurate with quality and functionality and specifications.

It's nice to see a lady getting into electronics i always wanted to be friends with another gal into this stuff as i have been into it for years and years and years and years of math to go with it (ha ha).  I knew some ladies in the past into electronics but not that many.  One worked at NASA and was involved with the Space Shuttle.

I'd be interested to find out what kinds of projects you are into and what kind of analysis you like to use, if any.

I hope we can talk more.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #914 on: October 05, 2022, 04:35:04 am »
Check the thread date and reply count.  She buys the scope at reply 150.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:07:19 pm by rstofer »

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #915 on: October 05, 2022, 08:17:53 am »
Just look at that mansplainer explosion.
What dogs!
We do need more women engineers for sure. Good on you.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #916 on: October 05, 2022, 10:11:58 am »

The thread seems to be some endorsement of the narrative explanation - I can't follow those well myself, I prefer a diagram and I'll do the narrative and theory :palm: myself.

[ed - just checked a previous post where I liked the narrative explanation - it must be a reaction to too much test equipment / electronics advice]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:08:13 am by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #917 on: October 05, 2022, 02:31:21 pm »

The thread seems to be some endorsement of the narrative explanation - I can't follow those well myself, I prefer a diagram and I'll do the narrative and theory :palm: myself.

[ed - just checked a previous post where I liked the narrative explanation - it must be a reaction to too much test equipment / electronics advice]

Read replies 800 and 801.  Then back up and go through the experiments we did together.  There's some serious education starting after post 150.  How many people have ever used the Math->Integral functionality?

As I said in post 800, this was the most interesting thread I have ever participated in.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, RAPo

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #918 on: October 05, 2022, 02:50:48 pm »
Sex is the swiss knife of marketing.
How can i terminate notifications for this thread?

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2022, 03:50:37 pm »
By clicking the button on the bottom of the page to "un notify". Should be next to the reply button. For me it is the notify button because I have not subscribed to the thread.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #920 on: October 05, 2022, 04:44:10 pm »
Thanks i found that. Probably notification was the wrong term, as i was in the dont-notify state anyway. Still i had the thread in my unread messages hundreds of times without being interested at all. The same happens with this silly "Python most popular" thread, after i made two contributions describing what i used Python for.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:47:59 pm by dietert1 »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #921 on: October 05, 2022, 05:46:00 pm »
Then you can add it to the block list in your profile. Have not done that myself, but Dave Jones and others have mentioned this in several threads that it is an option to not see a thread show up anymore.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #922 on: October 05, 2022, 08:17:42 pm »

Read replies 800 and 801.  Then back up and go through the experiments we did together.  There's some serious education starting after post 150.  How many people have ever used the Math->Integral functionality?

As I said in post 800, this was the most interesting thread I have ever participated in.

Back up? you back - up! I'm not re-rereading that again - if it wasn't narrative explanation wtf do you think it was |O :-/O

Anyways, it appears it was successful and possibly a model for other difficult practices - I wonder if Charlotte could learn to use Test Controller?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:44:11 am by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #923 on: October 06, 2022, 07:38:13 pm »
Then you can add it to the block list in your profile. Have not done that myself, but Dave Jones and others have mentioned this in several threads that it is an option to not see a thread show up anymore.

Ok, I need help here.

I see how to get notifications for a topic and how to "un-notify" a topic.

I also see in my profile the "Ignore Topics Options" link. But that only allows you to "un-ignore" a topic that you have previously ignored.

How does one ignore a topic in the first place?

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #924 on: October 07, 2022, 05:18:24 am »
Ah it is not just me. I have been looking for the how too, but have not been able to find the solution :(

I did find where Dave shows how to ignore a member (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/tea/emptiness/msg4410088/#msg4410088) but not the one on how to ignore a topic.

The manual is also not giving a direct clue. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf