Author Topic: What are those spikes after transients?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline ulianoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What are those spikes after transients?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:04:51 am »
Hello,

I've returned to this hobby after maybe 20 years. Today I was playing with an UART and I wanted to test my new scope decode ability (fantastic!). I noticed those overshoots after digital transition and I was wondering if they are due to the breadboard arrangement (or breadboard itself).

Is my guess correct or should I worry for something else? Will they disappear in a reasonably routed PCB?

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
Re: What are those spikes after transients?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:11:50 am »
I'm sure a more thorough answer will follow, so just a few basic points:
  • That could be real overshoot/ringing in the circuit, or it could be improperly compensated probes (looks more likely to be improperly compensated probes)
  • Even if this is a real effect, it's not a problem at all. That's a very clean waveform, the receiving system will have no trouble at all understanding it. You need not be so worried about the corners of your nominally square signals being so perfectly square, and whether it carries over to your PCB doesn't matter!!
  • But it's still good to learn and understand, of course.

Try out

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:27:10 am »
I don't think it is the probe compensation, here I touched nothing since before

My worries are for voltages over 5V and under 0V, can they cause problems to components?

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 12:00:30 pm »
I don't think it is the probe compensation, here I touched nothing since before
It's one minute to test.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:22 pm »
Yes, I did it in the previous post. I didn't touch the cap since the UART probing and the 1kHz square wave was as reported in the picture (good to me)

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 12:29:32 pm »
I noticed those overshoots after digital transition and I was wondering if they are due to the breadboard arrangement (or breadboard itself).

Maybe the ground lead of your probe is causing the problem due to the stray inductance in the short lead picking up EMI? Perhaps you need a tip barrel style ground lead. Do you have one?

Source: e2e.ti.com (TI E2E™ design support forums)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:36:44 pm by timenutgoblin »

The following users thanked this post: uliano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 12:44:16 pm »
You are on the right track!

No, I don't have one, yet!

I tired to arrange some surrogate and it got definitely better!

maybe the remaining overshoots are mostly due to the flying connection (orange wire to FTDI chip in the firs post)?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 01:00:35 pm »
Actually I have the tip, I just didn't knew what it was (it was in the probe accessory bag).

Also, removing the orange flying wire didn't improve anymore.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 01:41:52 pm »
My worries are for voltages over 5V and under 0V, can they cause problems to components?

Even if the ringing/overshoot was real, it is basically impossible (for non-contrived layouts at least) for any damage to occur due to this effect.

The following users thanked this post: uliano

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 04:17:12 pm »
As long as you meet the logic thresholds in the circuit that follows,  the minor over/ undershoot won't be a problem. I imagine its an inadequtely bypased or overly indcutive power rail. Or as pointed out a poorly adjusted scope probe.

Offline zburmeister

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 11:20:23 pm »
My first thought was what was discussed above being an improperly tuned probe.  But assuming that is taken care of...

Between your solderless breadboard interconnects and lengthy connecting wires, there is a lot of stray inductance that will rear its ugly head in the form of voltage spikes on fast current transients.  Remember voltage across an inductor (or long connecting wires in this case) is equal to L*di/dt.  And at the edge rates you are showing in your scope capture, the overshoots could be partially caused by di/dt transients. I would suggest reviewing the path of the UART connections and try to shortening your wires.  This will help decrease your return path distance and therefore reduce the amount of loop inductance. 

Edit: Just a side note, I've had issues in the past with that specific type of wire you are using. I believe the tip that goes into the board is just crimped onto the wire.  I've spent lots of time debugging circuits to find that it was a bad wire.  Definitely won't touch those again :) 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:23:42 pm by zburmeister »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 12:02:55 am »
The spikes are caused by wiring inductance, including the probe's ground lead, and a common problem with breadboard construction.

I think that microseconds long settling time anomaly is caused by reflections between the fast switching load and power supply.  A local bulk decoupling capacitor should remove it.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 08:50:11 am »
I've returned to this hobby after maybe 20 years. Today I was playing with an UART and I wanted to test my new scope decode ability (fantastic!). I noticed those overshoots after digital transition and I was wondering if they are due to the breadboard arrangement (or breadboard itself).

Is my guess correct or should I worry for something else? Will they disappear in a reasonably routed PCB?

Welcome "back". Nothing much has changed in the past 20 years, except components have got smaller and cheaper. (Exception: nanopower, ADC/DAC performance)

The overshoots are due to a combination of the inductance of wires and solderless breadboard and probing technique. If the transients are real (not a measurement artifact) then since they are outside the supply rails they could damage components.

The basic theory and practice of digital signal probing technique:
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/scope-probe-accessory-higher-frequency-results/

Why a digital signals' bit rate is usually unimportant, and what does matter:
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/digital-signal-integrity-and-bandwidth-signals-risetime-is-important-period-is-irrelevant/

Why solderless breadboards are the work of rhe devil, and better cheaper faster alternatives:
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/prototyping-circuits-easy-cheap-fast-reliable-techniques/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 12:54:15 pm »
If the transients are real (not a measurement artifact) then since they are outside the supply rails they could damage components.

I call 'citation needed' on this claim, or at least that this claim is relevant in any remotely normal/common situation. For a start, most ICs can tolerate voltages up to 0.7V beyond the rails just fine, and even then there needs to be enough 'oomph' (i.e. current/charge) behind those spikes to burn out the parasitic diodes in the IC for actual damage to occur. With that in mind, I think it'd be quite a task to find an IC that could be damaged by the signal showed in the OP's oscilloscope shot?

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 12:58:14 pm »
stray inductance

That was my first thought, seeing the scope

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 01:14:24 pm »
The duration of the "spikes" is in the micro seconds or less, and probe compensation works in the milli seconds range, so that is definately not the cause.

Usually it's stray inductance and the long GND lead with clip on the scope is the culprit, and why the short spring type clip gives much better results.

There is very little energy in those measured spikes, and they're caused by the stray inductance somewhere between the breadboard and the scope, as was already mentioned. This also means that those spikes are not even present on the breadboard as long as you do not touch it with your oscilloscope.

Those small spring type clips are vital for accurate measurements, but a nuisance to work with.
I almost always put the 20MHz bandwidth limit on my oscilloscope on, just because it filters out most of the noise I do not care about. Especially when working with breadboards and digital circuits. Usually I also extend the oscilloscope probe with a "dupont wire" that goes to the breadboard. This makes the probing even less accurate, but it does make it easier to probe. My probes are usually laying flat on the table, with both the GND wire clipped to the breadboard and a dupont wire going elsewhere on the breadboard.

Usually it's also possible to directly put the scope probe in the breadboard, but this has a risk of the tip of the probe breaking off during accidents, for example when a book falls on your breadboard or the scope probe is pulled by it's wire because it's snatched behind something.

This probing is adequate for 95% of the things I do with my scope.
It is important to realize when you are getting into the 5% where more accurate probing is needed.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 03:34:58 pm »
Welcome "back". Nothing much has changed in the past 20 years, except components have got smaller and cheaper. (Exception: nanopower, ADC/DAC performance)

Well, cheap scopes have gotten way better! I resumed my previous and, as I suspected, I can't see anything on it.

Quote from: Doctorandus_P
The duration of the "spikes" is in the micro seconds or less

Actually much less than that

Quote from: Doctorandus_P
I almost always put the 20MHz bandwidth limit on my oscilloscope on, just because it filters out most of the noise I do not care about.

Seems wise to me.

Thanks everybody for all contributions, I'm really appreciating the feedback!

I may (or may not, is it worth the learning?) try to reduce the stray inductance by removing the breadboard and solder a minimalist connections directly to an IC socket, or should I do directly on pins> (I've the feeling that they're quite fragile)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:36:57 pm by uliano »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 07:50:19 pm »
If the transients are real (not a measurement artifact) then since they are outside the supply rails they could damage components.

I call 'citation needed' on this claim, or at least that this claim is relevant in any remotely normal/common situation. For a start, most ICs can tolerate voltages up to 0.7V beyond the rails just fine, and even then there needs to be enough 'oomph' (i.e. current/charge) behind those spikes to burn out the parasitic diodes in the IC for actual damage to occur. With that in mind, I think it'd be quite a task to find an IC that could be damaged by the signal showed in the OP's oscilloscope shot?

As you point out, the ESD protection structures connected to supply and ground will protect against these spikes however this depends on the low impedance power supply decoupling absorbing the spikes, and if the decoupling is of poor quality with large values of series inductance as in this case, protection will be compromized.

The danger of exceeding the absolute maximum supply voltage or input voltage for *any* duration is real.  In extreme cases CMOS logic can outright fail but even worse is when it becomes unreliable and fails in some obscure way after an indeterminate time.  I have seen this happen with 5 and 3.3 volt CMOS logic and 16 volt analog CMOS.  I had a 12 volt audio power amplifier which used 15 volt CMOS logic with this problem and ended up adding separate supply regulation at the operational amplifier to keep it from failing.

Check out Jim Williams' discussion on this subject in connection with the supply voltage for Flash memory programming on pages 3 and 14 of Linear Technology application note 31.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 07:57:03 pm »
The problem is not breadboarding per se, but it must be used responsibly.

Not terribly, terribly much has changed in CMOS since the 90s; the main difference being, bog-standard logic is indeed faster.  You might've been used to 74/LS TTL, or CD4000 CMOS, neither of which is prone to signal quality issues.  (The latter basically at all, ever; the former can be, but is often tolerant of poor conditions.)

Whereas today, the average 3.3V CMOS pin driver, is somewhere between 74HC and LVC families, in terms of speed and drive strength.  Edges of 1-3ns and source impedance of 30-100 ohms is typical.  You don't need fancy MCUs to get there: you can see signal quality issues on a breadboard, even with a boring old 5V ATMEGA328 (Arduino, etc.) running at 20MHz.

So you might well have spent time with these sorts of circuits back then, and never noticed these effects.  Or you simply don't remember -- and honestly I can't remember a whole lot from that long ago, nothing wrong with that.

As for probing, avoid ground-return length.  The signal is likely nice and square at the device itself.  Try probing between its GND and output pins.  And BTW, it's not supply bounce (poor bypassing), notice it's symmetrical -- if it were that, it should only be doing it on the top.  But in any case, make sure there's a bypass cap at the device, between nearest VDD/GND pins; if need be, span it over the chip, since you can get away with moves like that on the breadboard. :D

The same goes for anything else that connects to the device.  If local switching currents (from each respective chip) are well contained, then you only have to deal with pin/wire currents, and those can be limited with series resistance (preferably 33 ohms or more, as close to the driving pin as possible -- if a shared bus, this applies to every driver!).  Or for longer wires/jumpers, a ferrite bead perhaps (same idea, resistance at high frequency).

The supply rails on a breadboard, are pretty thin and narrow, they're easily driven to some voltage at high frequencies -- 100s of mV of ground bounce is easily produced by a chip.  Keep distances short (between VDD/GND, use adjacent pairs not opposite, around a row of ICs), try to avoid lots of signals switching all at once (parallel buses with fast edge rates are killer; many a breadboarded computer, even just with TTL or NMOS (e.g. 6502, Z80, etc.), had random glitches, likely due to this).  Which is nice again these days, as serial buses (I2C, SPI) are predominant, parallel buses only being needed for legacy interface, or the highest bandwidths (memory, display drivers, etc.).

Or it can still simply be scope/probe effect.  There's often a high frequency compensation adjustment, and maybe it's out of whack, or the probe is mismatched to this scope.  (This is probably more of an analog scope issue, and I don't think DSOs usually have this as a problem; but equally so, I don't think they usually have an adjustment for it.  I guess that should put the blame on the probe -- maybe try one recommended by the scope manufacturer?)  I guess a reference source would be needed to confirm.  As for the TDS210, they're pretty slow and chunky, you might simply not be seeing it, whether at this zoom (gotta get a close-up of the edge) or in general (60MHz BW?).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 08:04:36 pm »

I'm afraid it isn't as simple as you imagine. There are many ways an IC can be damaged, and the damage isn't necessarily immediately apparent nor obvious. Typically higher performance and smaller devices are more susceptable to parametric shifts (including complete failure).

Apart from that, please re-read what I actually wrote, paying particular attention to all the caveats.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 08:29:55 pm »
I guess that 20 years ago your scope was not sampling 1 Gs/s. The spikes likely disappear after you disconnect the ribbon cable or other wires that are connected to the digital output. It’s the transmission line (waveguide) effect. Because the other end of the long wire is not terminated with the waveguide characteristic impedance, the steep edges (they are much steeper than 20 years ago, mostly due to Moore’s law) in the signal will bounce back at the other end of the wire, and then the voltage doubles for a short moment at the edge source.

Assume pulse propagation time is speed of light, so 300000 km/s. That’s 30 cm in 1 ns.
Zoom in on the overshoots (DC coupled, level trigger). Zoom as far until 1 pixel = 1 sample = 1 ns.
Count the nanoseconds. Now you should be able (roughly) to tell how long the wire connected to the output is.

Nothing to do with scope probe adjusting or power supply decoupling caps. Those caps still needed though.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 05:31:10 am »
The problem is not breadboarding per se, but it must be used responsibly.

I have a whole collection of 10uF aluminum electrolytic and 1uF solid tantalum capacitors in parallel with 0.1uF ceramic or film capacitors for insertion directly above ICs placed in breadboards.

I guess that 20 years ago your scope was not sampling 1 Gs/s.

The spikes and probe are not fast enough to require 1 Gsample/second sampling rates, and even more than 30 years ago DSOs were plenty fast to work in this application if they supported peak detection.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 08:03:10 am »
I guess that 20 years ago your scope was not sampling 1 Gs/s.

The sampling rate is completely irrelevant; the important specification is the front end's analogue bandwidth.

Example: 30 years ago I was using a high-end HP digitising scope. Its sampling rate was 25MS/s, but I could see <1ns risetimes since the bandwidth was 1GHz.
Example: I have a sampling scope with ~4GHz bandwidth which can see risetimes of ~100ps. It has a sampling rate of ~40kS/s.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 09:47:46 am »
More specifically the equivalent sample rate, whatever that might be.  Like my old TDS460 has a 100MSps rate but reports up to I think 50GSps at the highest sweep (however, it fills in DREADFULLY slowly, by random sampling).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 10:40:43 am »
There is a phenomena called "latch up".
In short this means there are parasitic thyristors (SCR) built into semiconductors, and these can get triggered by I/O signals which are outside of the power supply rails. This was a real problem during the early days of semiconductors. These SCR's can not be eliminated completely, but they're made as in-sensitive as possible by doing some tricks with the doping.
When this thyristor is triggered it forms a short between the power supply rails and the chip starts heating up, possibly until the magic smoke is released. The only way to stop the current though this thyristor is to turn the power supply off.

I'm suspecting that the Chinese clone of the MAX7219 (often sold with 8 * 8 dot matrix display) is very sensitive to this. It quite often starts up in a state that it turns on a lot of LED's, grows quite hot and does not respond to commands.

I have some memory that you have to pull more then 30mA out of an I/O pin to trigger this condition, and it's unlikely this would be very relevant here, but the phenomena is real and I thought it's interesting enough to mention it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latch-up

https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=cmos+latchup
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:32:46 am by Doctorandus_P »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf