Author Topic: What component is this?  (Read 608 times)

Offline twwwtTopic starter

What component is this?
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:25:14 pm »
The following is a component I can't identify. It looks like a diode, except that it has one blue ring pretty much in the middle of its enclosure (rather than towards either terminal, like it is the case for a diode).

1148980-0

I have a few of them. All measure to about 170 to 200pF by my LCR meter (Keysight U1733C). They have no measurable resistance; it seems to be so high at least my LCR meter can't measure it. I doubt it is a capacitor - I have never seen such a component design. The only thing I can add is that it is rather old, produced during the 80ies. Could it be a varistor?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:27:21 pm by twwwt »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: What component is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
More likely a DIAC.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 05:50:01 pm »
I've found a simple test circuit consisting of a resistor in serial and a capacitor in parallel to a DIAC that results in a ramp signal if driven by an alternating signal. I will use that to check whether (a) these are indeed DIACs and (b) what the breakdown voltage is. I will report back my findings.

Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:32:33 pm »
Things have cleared up. Experiments showed that it is indeed a DIAC. Breakover voltage is approximately 25V. What is more, I've also found an image in the Internet that matches precisely. According to this it is a KR100, produced by Tesla, the no longer existing electronics company in the former Czechoslovakia. They work nicely even after more than 30 years, yeah!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf