Author Topic: What do you think about this oscilloscope?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline giovimontoTopic starter

What do you think about this oscilloscope?
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:22 pm »
All right guys, my first post here.
I would like to know what do you think about this oscilloscope:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Oscilloscopio-PM3206-2-Canali-15MHz-analogico-/161617986805?pt=Attrezzature_e_strumentazione&hash=item25a12ec4f5
It's about 66.50US$ or 85.00AU$
I'm only a beginner and I can't afford any oscilloscope more expensive than this.
I'll translate for you the description:
"Analogic Oscilloscope, 2 channels, 15MHz
Perfectly working, last calibration was in 1999
Handle missing. For everything else is OK
Cleaned for you."

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: What do you think about this oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:06:40 pm »
That looks like a reasonable scope for the money. I would ask to see it with signals on the screen. If it doesn't come with the probes, then it is not a good buy, too expensive. A reasonable set of probes will cost you almost the cost of the scope again.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:58 pm »
That looks like a reasonable scope for the money. I would ask to see it with signals on the screen. If it doesn't come with the probes, then it is not a good buy, too expensive. A reasonable set of probes will cost you almost the cost of the scope again.

It's only a 15MHz scope, $5 Chinese probes would be fine.

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »
If it actually works as describes, it seems fine for the money.  Very basic (nothing fancy like zoom), and no fine-tuning on gain or timing, but seems like it has the basics.

If you can get by with 15 MHz, and it is not broken, seems nice.

Offline android

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:27 pm »
Wow, now that's a blast from the past!

Looks very similar to the first scope I ever bought...a Philips PM3207 15 MHz dual trace back in about 1982. It was the most expensive bit of gear I'd ever bought ...$1023 Australian...what was I thinking   :'(  ... and then I destroyed it accidentally a few years later  |O

However, as I recall, the build quality was good and it was very easy to use (and destroy!)
Lecturer: "There is no language in which a double positive implies a negative."
Student:  "Yeah...right."

Offline giovimontoTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:05 pm »
I found out also this pair of probes, could you please tell me what do you think about those?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/2pz-Sonde-Probe-per-Oscilloscopio-100MHZ-per-Test-IC-/390845797130?pt=Attrezzature_e_strumentazione&hash=item5b0039930a
Translation:
2 Probes for oscilloscope, 100MHz for IC test
New Hi Quality product
Easy to install
Cable lenght: 135cm/53in
Useful for IC test
100MHz oscilloscope probe

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »
I use PM3262 as my first scope. Got it cheap (about 50 US$) because one channel didn't work. Philips manuals are very well written and fixed it without any problem. Yet analog scope is not a lot of help in today's digital world :)

Offline Harrkev

• Contributor
  • ASIC Design Engineer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:08 pm »
I found out also this pair of probes, could you please tell me what do you think about those?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/2pz-Sonde-Probe-per-Oscilloscopio-100MHZ-per-Test-IC-/390845797130?pt=Attrezzature_e_strumentazione&hash=item5b0039930a
Translation:
2 Probes for oscilloscope, 100MHz for IC test
New Hi Quality product
Easy to install
Cable lenght: 135cm/53in
Useful for IC test
100MHz oscilloscope probe

I don't read the language, but the price tells me that they are Chinese Cheapies.  Probably mediocre build quality, but they are likely to work OK for the scope that you are getting -- it is not that hard to hit 15 MHz.  Just don't forget to calibrate them at the BNC connector, and treat them gently lest they fall apart.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »
I still say you should ask to see the calibration waveform from the scope displayed with probes connected. Two flat traces only tell you that the CRT lights up and the horizontal time base and drive are working somewhat.

Offline JoeAtl30319

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:22 am »
My primary scope is 100Mhz, but I typically leave the bandwidth limiter on (20Mhz) to reduce noise.  From a bandwidth perspective you're probably fine if you're working with DC to lower HF circuits.  The screen looks fine, but I would like to see a trace.

Offline eejake52

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:32 pm »
My first scope was free, but it didn't work.
My second scope was under $100, for a cheap USB plug in; but it was so slow I was often disappointed.
My third scope is a Rigol DS1052E. This model and other newer models are readily available for under $500.

On the scope listed in your post, the current bid is 41.5 Euro. In my experience, ebay items typically double in bid price in the last hour of the auction, so this might eventually sell for 80 Euro. Add the cost of probes, and I think you will be over your budget. But, if you can stretch your budget to about 200 Euro, there are lots of better scopes on the US, or UK ebay sites.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf