Author Topic: what field?  (Read 4721 times)

Offline AuggieTopic starter

• Contributor
what field?
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:38 am »
I see that there are many branches and jobs to go in to from electrical engineering. For someone who wants to be out in the field instead of an office what do you all recommend as far as a job title or career branch?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: what field?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:43 am »
Well, there is always the Sales department! :->

Seriously though, it's very often company dependent.
If you want to be guaranteed continuously in the field, then being a "field service engineer" is your best bet, but that can often be a glorified technician role (not that there's anything wrong with that).
But if you want more design work, then you need to consider an engineering role or company that requires the design to go on-site for various reasons, like design consultation, trials, installation and system testing etc. Power (solar, wind etc) companies are often like this, so getting into power electronics might be worth considering. Many military project also require extensive travel.
And then it also comes down to whether you want local or international travel.

So it's a bit hard to nail down specific job titles or career branches.

Dave.

Offline AuggieTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:03:39 am »
Well, there is always the Sales department! :->

Seriously though, it's very often company dependent.
If you want to be guaranteed continuously in the field, then being a "field service engineer" is your best bet, but that can often be a glorified technician role (not that there's anything wrong with that).
But if you want more design work, then you need to consider an engineering role or company that requires the design to go on-site for various reasons, like design consultation, trials, installation and system testing etc. Power (solar, wind etc) companies are often like this, so getting into power electronics might be worth considering. Many military project also require extensive travel.
And then it also comes down to whether you want local or international travel.

So it's a bit hard to nail down specific job titles or career branches.

Dave.

Thanks a lot Dave. Very helpful.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:47 pm »
If you want some general experience look at joining a smaller company. As a newly qualified Electronics Engineer I joined a small company of only 5 people. Second day - go and play with the electronics of a tank turret. Day 3 - design (and draw up) a box to get at all the signals.  All in all a rather varied job.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf