Author Topic: What, if any are the electrical differences between transistors in T018 or TO92?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline commieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi  folks,

I was just wandering if there are any electrical differences between the expensive T018 and the cheaper T092 packages for the same transistor?
Examples are 2N2222A(T018) or P2N2222A(T092), I tend to think t018's are better quality but what do you think?

Cheers
Commie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:05:19 pm by commie »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Nope, practically there is no difference. The quality certainly isn't higher - the packaging can be better for one and only one reason, the hermetic seal can very, very slightly increase reliability particularly in harsh environments, hence their use in military applications. The transistor die inside is exactly the same.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
There may however be a difference in the maximum permitted power dissipation and thermal resistance to ambient.  Check specific datasheets for details.

Offline commieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
There may however be a difference in the maximum permitted power dissipation and thermal resistance to ambient.  Check specific datasheets for details.

Yeah, I gathered that, I was pointing more to bandwidth product.I'll tell you what though, there are big differences between different manufactures of the same part, for example I find Moto/On to be the best you can get.

Thanks for the replies.Cheers
Commie 

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
When you go up to TO-5 or TO-39, there are very nice heatsinks that surround the metal package under spring tension to improve power capability.  Heat sinking is not so efficient with TO-92.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
I wouldn't say reliability or other features of metal case parts is poor (in terms of advantage).  Though I don't know by how much that actually matters.  So, I don't have the numbers, or even the test methodology to establish that; I would just suspect they have at least some reason besides inertia.

The main direct / advertised difference is TJ going up to 175 or 200C, which is, at best, only rarely available in plastic packaged parts.

But yeah, if you aren't doing high temperature, mil spec, down hole, etc. stuff, you'll likely never see the difference; plastic case parts are amazingly reliable.

You'll see package differences on the highest speed parts (fT > a few gigs), but that's about parasitics.  The die, in and of itself, will be perfectly identical across parts of a given type but different package.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
For the TO-18 2N2222A, the collector is tied to the (metal) case (just look at the bottom of one).  The collector is where the major voltage drop occurs, and therefore where most of the power is dissipated.  Also, I can put a heatsink on the TO-18 (P/N 322400B00000G, which is available from suppliers such as Newark and Mouser).  Even though that heatsink will also fit on a TO-92, it would not be nearly as effective as on a TO-18.  (I use that heatsink on both the TO-71 and TO-78 also.)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Basically no difference, but there are edge cases where the one package is better than the other. Plastic package is lower cost, slightly lower capacitance and inductance ( but really only going to matter at a frequency where the die inside is no longer going to be acting like a transistor with any gain) and able to dissipate lower power. Metal is better for high power use, as it has the ability to be heatsinked easily with a good thermal path to the die. I have soldered them to a copper tag for use where I needed a small heatsink and did not have a clip on one around. Metal case is good for use as a temperature sensor as well, using the die as an amplified diode.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
I think the main reason is the metal can will dissipate more. I have always noticed a stark difference in current capability (x3) between plastic and metal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf