Author Topic: What is this part (banana short tab?) called?  (Read 947 times)

Offline reynaldogonzalezTopic starter

• Contributor
What is this part (banana short tab?) called?
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »
I would like to purchase some extra of these parts but I'm not sure what they are called/how to search for them.
It is the small metal tab used to connect negative terminal to ground terminal on power supplies.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: What is this part (banana short tab?) called?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 05:35:55 pm »
Not sure if there is an official name, but "Shorting bar" should get you something.  Pomona 4115 looks like the correct item.

The following users thanked this post: reynaldogonzalez

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor

Offline reynaldogonzalezTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:50:27 pm »
Thank you for replies!

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:49:20 am »
I was looking for some of those shorting links a year or so ago and found they seemed to be very, very expensive for such a small simple piece of metal. Searching around I found where someone recommended a site where you could get 10 for $3 but the minimum shipping was $9.90.  I ordered 30 for $9 plus shipping and got a lifetime supply for under $20. That's still far better than the previously mentioned source where you's pay $36 per 10 and shipping on top of that. I'm always picking up some piece of equipment where the links are missing so I'll have them if I need them

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/h-h-smith-1828-connector-banana-jacks-shorting-links-only-package-of-10 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:54:46 am by ArthurDent »

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 07:35:29 am »
Why buy them at all?   :-//

I just make them out of 2.5mm2 solid core wire, as and when I need them.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 11:04:16 am »

You can replace a broken exhaust hanger on your car with a bent wire coat hanger but some of us take more pride in our equipment.   :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 11:02:23 pm »
I was looking for some of those shorting links a year or so ago and found they seemed to be very, very expensive for such a small simple piece of metal. Searching around I found where someone recommended a site where you could get 10 for $3 but the minimum shipping was $9.90.  I ordered 30 for $9 plus shipping and got a lifetime supply for under $20. That's still far better than the previously mentioned source where you's pay $36 per 10 and shipping on top of that. I'm always picking up some piece of equipment where the links are missing so I'll have them if I need them

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/h-h-smith-1828-connector-banana-jacks-shorting-links-only-package-of-10

Thanks for the tip, AD!  I'd bought a few over the years from Mouser (Pomona 4115), but they were quite $$ for what they are - currently $3.70 a pop!!  I just took your lead and bought three 10 packs - should keep me in them for the foreseeable future assuming I don't lose them in the meantime.  Sure, you can do it with a wire, but then if you disconnect it the wire's apt to get lost and then you'll need to make up another one next time.  These can just slide off to the side and be left to dangle, or clamped down, and will stay with whatever they're on.  Much more convenient IMO

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline gorge441

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 11:25:40 pm »
It seems you got the answer to what it called.
Anyway, it sounds like "knob"

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:40:15 am »

You can replace a broken exhaust hanger on your car with a bent wire coat hanger but some of us take more pride in our equipment.   :-DD

That doesn't sound very durable, though certainly if it gets you out of a tight spot it seems a legit temporary repair.

Pride? I prefer functionality, and practicality. When I come to repair old gear I buy, I never spend more than I have to.
I only clean things if it's either a hygiene or a functional impairment issue.
I know many like to restore things to factory fresh appearance, and that's fine, but I like to see the history of the thing; cal labels, small dents and scratches that don't spoil functionality are fine by me.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf