Author Topic: What methods to read TC534000P ?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Jan AudioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What methods to read TC534000P ?
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:25:29 pm »
Hi, i have a few TC534000P chips, i wanto get the data in my computer.

What methods are there to read this into a computer ?
I am only lazy to not get busy with the FAT32 sd-card.
Any method that is possible is welcome.

thanks

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: What methods to read TC534000P ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:57:17 pm »
You have to wiggle 19 address lines and read the 8 bit output for every address.  The Arduino Mega has enough lines or you can use 3 74HC595 shift registers in series for the address lines (takes 3 pins) with an Arduino UNO.  The shift register approach will be terribly slow, see below.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Foundations/ShiftOut

Write the code to send ASCII values for address and data, capture then in the Terminal and eventually get them to an ASCII file.  You can convert them to binary at some point.

Execution would be a lot faster with 74HC590 8 bit synchronous counters.  You would need 3 in series using the ripple carry setup but, in code, you would just need to pulse a single clock line instead of shifting 19 bits of address.  This would be a lot faster but I didn't find an example circuit.  I would use the counter approach!

You could save a lot of time by not sending the address value.  Or maybe you send the address value every once in a while.  Maybe send it every 16 bytes.  Maybe send along a checksum.  Like the Intel hex format with segment records to handle the large address field.  This is an advanced topic...

Advanced idea:  Install an SD Shield and write the binary data directly to a file.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:11:39 pm by rstofer »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 08:05:07 am »
On reflection, and looking at the boards on my desk, I think I would use a 600 MHz Teensy 4.1.  It has enough IO pins and is has an SD socket.  I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure the SD/FAT library is fully functional.

I could read the ROM and transfer it to SD at a heck of a rate compared to the standard 16 MHz Arduino.

There would be an issue with a 5V ROM connected to a 3.3V CPU - level shifters will be required.

ETA:

The level shifters may only be required on the 8 output lines (input to the Teensy) as the minimum address voltage (output from the Teensy to the address inputs on the ROM) is 2.2V and the 3.3V logic should be adequate but the 5V outputs from the ROM will be too high.  Level shifting 8 data lines is no big deal - just a single chip.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:44:56 am by rstofer »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 10:07:14 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking, maybe there is some software that can read raw data from SD-card without FAT32 format.
Then my problem is solved also, writing to SD card is not a problem.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 02:26:00 pm »
The Linux 'dd' command can do a lot of stuff including raw read/write.  I have a project where I have a disk image of a completely foreign OS and I use 'dd' to put in on a Compact Flash device.

There may be Windows utilities that will do the same thing.  I know there is an image writer because it is used to set up Raspian for the Raspberry Pi.  I'm not as certain about an image reader.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:38:47 pm by rstofer »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:01 pm »
To bad i only have windows.
I do have a raspberry pi, i can make a sd card with linux, only the sd slot will be in use.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 02:40:11 pm »
I re-edited my prior post while you were writing.

Why can't you use a USB<=>SD adapter?  I haven't tried this.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 03:13:35 pm »
Ah, nice one, that is possible, i have it from my 3D-printer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf