Author Topic: What size flat head screwdriver for trimpots?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline YurkshireLadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What size flat head screwdriver for trimpots?
« on: November 27, 2021, 07:39:45 pm »
This seems like a silly question, but what size flat head screwdriver works with trim pots? I've tried every damn screwdriver in my house, including one from a Christmas cracker, but they're all too thick. I looked through a datasheet I found but I couldn't see an sizing information, unless I missed it.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What size flat head screwdriver for trimpots?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 07:43:36 pm »
I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/GC-ELECTRONICS-8608-TOOLS-piece/dp/B00DJS6WR0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=electronic+alignment+tools&qid=1638042049&sr=8-5

One end goes over the extended adjustment screw on small trimmers (pots) and its collar keeps it engaged.  The other end is handy too.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, YurkshireLad

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 07:49:10 pm »
That depends. Most can be adjusted with tools like H-90 from Bourns or ACCTRITOB308 from vishay.
The smallest ones require for example a Wera 118002, 1.5x0.23mm flat head

The following users thanked this post: YurkshireLad

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 08:17:15 pm »
This seems like a silly question, but what size flat head screwdriver works with trim pots? I've tried every damn screwdriver in my house, including one from a Christmas cracker, but they're all too thick. I looked through a datasheet I found but I couldn't see an sizing information, unless I missed it.

Amazing!  It IS a silly question.  Cut the tapered end off a toothpick and whittle the sides to make an appropriate screwdriver.  Or, buy a set of "jeweler's" screwdrivers.  The toothpick has the advantage of being non-magnetic.  I am sure you can buy a special tool on Amazon or eBay.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
As another has said, nearly any set of 'Jewler's screwdrivers' has a size that works, also some of the 'eye glass repair' kits have a little screwdriver that fits. If the trimpot is within a high voltage cage such as the beam adjustment on Tektronix scopes and others you MUST use a plastic shank screwdriver or risk blowing up the entire blanking/high voltage section of the scope!! I fixed a few that got killed in that manner although the owners would never admit to it. In a couple cases the C.R.T. was also damaged!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 04:39:05 am »
Search for "ceramic screwdriver" on aliexpress / ebay.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 06:33:11 am »
There is little to no standardization for flat screwdrivers (or there are so many standards that they're meaningless), so your best bet is to get a decent assortment of screwdrivers.

For general purpose small work I like the 4mm bits because you can store a lot of them in a small space.

Ceramic screwdrivers are also nice. They're non conductive and non-magnetic, and that makes them a great choice for trimming in high voltage areas or for adjustable inductors. Their extreme hardness also makes them wear resistant and they can take a lot of abuse when used as chisels or scrapers.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 06:48:39 am »
If the smallest common/hardware store screwdriver doesn't do it, then a jeweller's set, or the plastic or ceramic types specific to electronics, will do.

I have a ready supply of the latter (plastic handle) because they come for free with scope probes... :-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf