Author Topic: What's the best way to make a waterproof solder joint?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline e1p3dr0Topic starter

• Contributor
What's the best way to make a waterproof solder joint?
« on: June 22, 2021, 10:54:14 am »
Looking for your techniques on how to make a waterproof solder joint.

I've come across various different ways like liquid tape, self-amalgamating tape, silicone under shrink wrap, but would welcome your experiences.

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What's the best way to make a waterproof solder joint?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 10:59:21 am »
Solder it. Coat it(optional) with (depending on high voltage/high-low temps/water pressure/flexing/saltwater/chemical environ): silicon grease/superglue --->double heatshrink with (optional)drop of adhesive/silicon grease/superglue under first layer heatshink tubing. Top heatshrink tubing should ~1-cm excess each side end of bottom heatshrink over soldering point.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:32:16 am by SuzyC »

The following users thanked this post: e1p3dr0

Offline fordem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:29:36 pm »
My preference is marine grade heatshrink tube - this is similar to regular heatshrink tube but has a thicker wall and contains a heat activated adhesive that seals to the wire insulation and soldered joint.  I've also used the self amalgamating tape, but that does not work well on smaller joints.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:33:35 pm »
A wire-to-wire joint?  Yes, the adhesive-filled heat-shrink.  Marine-grade stuff is available (ANCOR brand, for example), but you can also find it in most hardware stores as it is used when wiring submersible well-pumps.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf