Author Topic: What's With These Inconsistent Pins?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Max HoldcroftTopic starter

• Contributor
What's With These Inconsistent Pins?
« on: May 27, 2024, 08:36:33 am »
I'm looking at the datasheet for the ISP_1507 BLE module. In the reference schematic for the module, they use a 10 pin 0.5mm pitch FFC, but for the schematic I have the pins are all different. In the example schematic, they have two ground pins, but in my schematic there aren't any, but there IS an additional "anchor" pin? What is this?
I appreciate any help!
Max :)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: What's With These Inconsistent Pins?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 09:12:28 am »
Please stop creating a new thread for every question about this module. That's not how this forum works and will put you on the wrong side of the Mods!
Best Regards, Chris

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 09:28:52 am »
Please stop creating a new thread for every question about this module. That's not how this forum works and will put you on the wrong side of the Mods!

Not just the mods.

Also the same programming connector is attached here, but I'm not sure if there still is an issue with attachments getting mixed up.

I know the OP is young according to his profile, but when you want help you need to be more precise.

@Max Holdcroft you mention "my schematic", so where is that one? Provide as much information as possible when asking for help. We are not mind readers, nor do we have crystal balls.

And like Gyro pointed out just do it in a single thread, and when you don't get the answers you are looking for, don't think that trying again in a slightly different form in a new thread will get you that answer.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 09:41:00 am »
I hadn't realised that the OP was so young. @Max, yes please keep everything in the same thread, then people have a much better chance of 'connecting' your questions.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 03:24:59 pm »
I'm looking at the datasheet for the ISP_1507 BLE module. In the reference schematic for the module, they use a 10 pin 0.5mm pitch FFC, but for the schematic I have the pins are all different. In the example schematic, they have two ground pins, but in my schematic there aren't any, but there IS an additional "anchor" pin? What is this?
I appreciate any help!
Max :)

I read your post again and challenge you to think about this last bit yourself. Do some searching online to find pictures of the bare connectors and imagine what this anchor pin would be.

Here is a starter. https://www.molex.com/en-us/products/connectors/ffc-fpc-connectors

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor

Online xvr

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 05:51:26 pm »
Hirose connector has 2 pins connected to shield (?) inside it. In original schematic there are pins 11 & 12 (with gound connected to them). I thgink that Anchor is a one of these pins (one only one - I don't know)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 06:28:39 pm »
Hirose connector has 2 pins connected to shield (?) inside it. In original schematic there are pins 11 & 12 (with gound connected to them). I thgink that Anchor is a one of these pins (one only one - I don't know)

And that more or less is the same response as what he got on the other website, and still not grasping the concept that these are there for mechanical strength and possible shielding.

A lot of these SMD connectors have additional "pins" to hold them down on the board. Some use through hole clips for even stronger bonds. That is what I tried to have him find out by himself with the challenge.

The fact that a symbol in a schematic editor only shows one pin does not mean there is only one on the actual foot print for it. But for that it is needed to learn the basics of everything one wants to do, and not jump in the deep end of the pool without flotation devices.

You want to do schematic design with a software packet, learn about how the packet works, what the symbols do, and how they are created, but first learn what the electronics components are for and how they work.

But that advice just seems to shoot past him.  :palm:

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 06:59:42 am »
Connector companies list their products by number of available connections and it's their "as described" footprint that ends up in the CAD.
In this case 10 connections to a 10-way FPC jumper.
There is not really a pin 11 or 12, they are actually mechanical mounting points.
Ordinarily the mechanical mounts would be soldered to small PCB pads.
Thats fine inside a finished product where the connector just gets touched once or twice.
They are a weak point and often the connector will break away destroying the PCB as it goes.
To make a stronger mount for an evaluation PCB they have been soldered to a large area of copper groundplane.
There's usually a bit (plenty) of fudge factor in PCB designs. Don't panic.
They will have just numbered those as pins to force the CAD into thinking they are an actual signal connection. And that’s it.
Learn a bit about how signal nets interconnect component footprints in PCB CAD.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 08:09:06 am »
These connectors are not good for multiple insertion cycles, so kind of a bad choice of the experiment kit designer to use them.

From the Hirose website only 20 mating/unmating cycles:

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2024, 04:11:41 pm »
Too right.
So many connectors have very low mating cycle numbers.
RJxx among them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 12:27:49 pm »
But that is totally OK for many applications. Low mating cycle connectors are for assembly and rare repair or maintenance. Medium mating cycle connectors are for things that get reconnected now and then. High mating cycle connectors are for long-lived devices that are reconnected constantly.

No sense in adding the bulk and cost of high mating count connectors for things that simply do not need it.

It is, of course, incumbent on the designer to choose a connector with the appropriate mating cycles for the application.

In this case, I don’t think that was a wise choice, but it could be OK if the envisioned use was to keep the cable inserted in the programmer, and only disconnect the device end, i.e. to use one programmer to program many devices.

Modular (RJ-xx) jacks are typically rated for hundreds of cycles, so an entire order of magnitude more than the Hirose FFC here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 12:29:34 pm by tooki »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2024, 12:35:13 pm »
In this case, I don’t think that was a wise choice, but it could be OK if the envisioned use was to keep the cable inserted in the programmer, and only disconnect the device end, i.e. to use one programmer to program many devices.

Is a possibility, but these cables are not so good either and can also wear out on to many connect/disconnect cycles.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf