Author Topic: Where can I buy banana plug connectors to build a cable for bench power supply?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline sofakngTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'd like to make a custom cable for a bench power supply.  (banana plug -> DC barrel connector)

Where can I find banana plug connectors that can handle 5A - 10A?

There are tons of different sellers for audio/speakers but I don't see any connectors (ie. only premade cables) for power supplies.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
Mouser and DigiKey are both stocking dealers for Pomona. Pomona’s website shows a 4mm banana plug that is speced for 25 amps.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
This might more be an issue of where you search than what you search.
All of the usual suspects that do electronics carry them. Like Farnell, RS, Mouser, Digikey, Aliexpress,....
Keywords: "banana plug" or "4mm plug". You might want to drill down to "isolated" or "sheathed" or "shrouded".

Many brands carry them, like Staubli, Hirschmann, Mueller, Pomona, ...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:59:04 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
I'd like to make a custom cable for a bench power supply.  (banana plug -> DC barrel connector)

Where can I find banana plug connectors that can handle 5A - 10A?

There are tons of different sellers for audio/speakers but I don't see any connectors (ie. only premade cables) for power supplies.
Any standard 4mm banana plug can easily handle 10A, often far more. (Either Stäubli or Hirschmann sells a 32A one.) They’re not specific to power supplies, so don’t look for that.

Look at the big name distributors the others have already mentioned: Digi-Key, Mouser, Farnell, etc.

I’d avoid AliExpress banana plugs. There are too many reports of plugs that won’t take solder, or loosen up with time, or just plain make poor contact. The cost of name brand plugs isn’t prohibitive.

My favorite brands are Stäubli, Pomona, and Hirschmann. (I was not impressed by the Mueller ones I tried, they did not fit snugly at all.)

One thing though: most barrel connectors are not rated for 5A, never mind 10A! You’ll want to choose one very, very carefully.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
As long as your PSU doesn't have the stupid ground-in-the-middle configuration, you can just use the Pomona MDP series double-bananas.  Even the generic eBay/Aliexpress double bananas are OK at any current I've used them on--and probably more than any DC barrel connector can handle.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
I’d avoid AliExpress banana plugs. There are too many reports of plugs that won’t take solder, or loosen up with time, or just plain make poor contact. The cost of name brand plugs isn’t prohibitive.

These wires with banana plugs from aliexpress that I posted above are good enough. Each wire include banana plugs have 0.025 Ω. Much better than branded golden plated probes for DMM like Brymen.

They have pass-through banana plugs, so you can parallel them to handle more power. I'm using it with 5-10 Amps (with no parallel, just two single wires) - works very good. Also tried them with 70 Amps for short period - also works good.

I don't recommend to buy DIY banana plugs which can be disassembled, they are not reliable even for 5 Amps. But these factory made wires are good enough for 10 Amps. Note, they are molded from plastic and cannot be disassembled. Wires are very soft, probably silicone.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:37:42 pm by radiolistener »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

These wires with banana plugs from aliexpress that I posted above are good enough. Each wire include banana plugs have 0.025 Ω. Much better than branded golden plated probes for DMM like Brymen.

They have pass-through banana plugs, so you can parallel them to handle more power. I'm using it with 5-10 Amps (with no parallel, just two single wires) - works very good. Also tried them with 70 Amps for short period - also works good.

I don't recommend to buy DIY banana plugs which can be disassembled, they are not reliable even for 5 Amps. But these factory made wires are good enough for 10 Amps. Note, they are molded from plastic and cannot be disassembled. Wires are very soft, probably silicone.
I completely stand by my statement.

1. The problem with AliExpress, eBay, etc is that quality is variable: one shipment might be great, the next might be awful. Note that I didn't say ALL AliExpress banana plugs suck. The problem is that you don't know what you'll get.
2. The OP expressly asked for DIY banana plugs, so suggesting premade leads is pointless.
3. A quality banana plug can handle >5A without a problem. So saying that the AliExpress ones aren't reliable for 5A proves my point!
4. Comparing probes to banana cables is pointless, since you're comparing very different contact areas.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
If you are serious about 10 amps and your power supply has binding posts, you might want to consider using fork terminals.   It comes down to the type of wire and the gage you intend to use.   In any event the banana plugs would need to reliably handle the current and the wire you are using. 

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
Potential problems with the ebay/ali express are that the spring part of the plug often doesn't produce much of a spring contact between the plug and jack. Meeting the amperage rating is one thing, but I've had others that will make intermittent contact. I wouldn't recommend ebay/ ali express for leads. Some of them make ok contact, but I just use them for very low current purposes, or multimeter measurements. And remember, copper is always expensive, so the wire will usually be skimped on.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf