Author Topic: Where did you go to college?  (Read 16577 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Where did you go to college?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 05:59:37 pm »
Trying tell that to the loads of super well paid brilliant software engineers at Google and Microsoft.  Software engineers are one of the most sought after and well paid engineers in this day and age.  It will probably only continue to increase as well.
This opinion is truly delusional. Please try getting a job at Google or Microsoft and report back to us on how that works out for you. Those companies and their ilk take on only a small fraction of the people looking for employment. Furthermore the likes of Google and Microsoft select for exceptionally smart people with good interview skills. A software engineering qualification is somewhat secondary when it comes to getting through their interview processes. (But being brilliant helps enormously.)
It is, however, the case that there are far more opportunities these days for software people than hardware people. In organisations employing both hardware and software people I have never seen the hardware people paid as well as the software ones.

Online westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2018, 02:10:19 am »
I wonder if there's any publicly accessible archive of BIX from those days.
A lot of stuff didn't get archived nearly as much as one would hope.
In the early days, the available storage was "small", even compared to text.  IIRC the default school disk allocation was "200 pages" (512words*36bits), or about 0.5MB.  The mainframe's total disk capacity was something like 300MBytes, and that had to be shared by hundreds to thousands of users, mainframe disks were horribly expensive.  Even when things were "backed up" to tape, it was common for those tapes to sit around until the equipment to read them was no longer available :-(  (I've got a DECTape from High School, and several 9-track tapes from college.  Sigh.)

There is a bunch of early ARPANet mailing-list mail that has just been lost, AFAIK.  Google archives only go back to 1982, I think, when stuff started to be gatewayed to UseNet (most of it from Henry Spenser's "utzoo" site.)  Sigh.

I guess I'm an example of the value of "real" universities.  I have my BSEE and took more CS classes than average, and that's all swell and helpful.   But I owe most of my career to the part-time job, its associated "other computer" account, and the rather unofficial access to ARPANet...  I even got my first job after college via eMail.  I might have been able to study all the same things, take the same finals and get the same grades, just from book learning. but I would not have had access to the array of **stuff** that was ultimately highly "formative."   ("Dude!   I was like THERE when they had to invent the email-list "digest" format!")  (now, I'm not quite sure how to go FIND that stuff at a typical college...)

Offline rcarlton

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 09:49:10 pm »
Michigan State University BS and MS in Geology, Texas Womans University MS in Physical Therapy.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2018, 12:39:57 am »
Lehigh University - BSEE - back when I went there we were called "The Engineers" in sports

paul

Same here - BSEE '88. I've always said I'll donate if they change the name back. Mountain Hawks, indeed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf