Author Topic: Where do you buy LCD panels?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline viperidaeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where do you buy LCD panels?
« on: October 16, 2019, 08:38:16 am »
I'm looking around for a bright 7" TFT with touch screen and the best value I can find is a 400cd/m2 from buydisplay.com
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/7-inch-1024x600-tft-lcd-touch-display-with-hdmi-vga-video-driver-board
Any other websites to buy these from? Other than fleabay and aliexpress

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: Where do you buy LCD panels?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:00 am »
I've been having similar questions related to smaller displays.  It seems like there are lots of Chinese manufacturers, but not a lot of confidence inspiring infrastructure like qualified distributors. 
My questions for anyone who has successful experience in this space would be....

1) What is your process for dealing with Chinese display manufacturers directly?  In person meetings, emails, phone, etc?  If this even possible if you are remote and only speak English, or do you need a native speaker there in China to do any real business effectively?

2) How do you evaluate if they will be an honest reliable vendor?  Factory visits, references, reputation?  Is there any sort of Chinese BBB (better business bureau) besides aliexpress rating?

3) How do you manage payment? Prepay, pay on delivery, escrow, etc?

4) Is there any benefit to going through a marketplace like aliexpress or does that just increase the cost?

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:28:50 am »
I think Waveshare electronics is a reliable source of LCD displays. Their  QC is good.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:42:12 am »
For what it’s worth, my experience at work with buydisplay.com has been positive.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:12 am »
If you're looking at volumes, there are services like https://www.asiainspectionservice.com to do factory visits etc. on your behalf
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, tooki

Offline Capernicus

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 12:30:23 pm »
you can buy the leds separate if you want,  just need to get a good deal for a million for a 1000x1000 screen. :)

The following users thanked this post: boz, BILLPOD

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 05:44:43 pm »
you can buy the leds separate if you want,  just need to get a good deal for a million for a 1000x1000 screen. :)
1. You’re an idiot or a troll. Maybe both. I can tell you that the OP will not be constructing a 1024x600 screen out of discrete LEDs.
2. Your math isn’t even right, since a color display would require three LEDs per pixel.

The following users thanked this post: george.b

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 06:10:17 pm »
I you want a small monochrome dot matrix display. there are some fairly well standardised formats. made by multiple people. Choose one of this comon types and you can always get hold of a suitable drop in replacement, even if you have trouble with an existing supplier. TFT displays are very different. The exact shape, size and mounting arrangements are all over the place. The interfaces, both the physical connectors and the signalling, vary a lot. This makes continuing supply from your chosen vendor important. The snag is, vendors keep changing their products. Unless you are a large scale user, they won't keep making the panel you use indefinitely.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 11:16:03 am »
That’s one reason we went with buydisplay.com: they make long-term availability promises. We haven’t been using them long enough to verify the veracity of those promises, but it was better than going for eBay mystery goods or expensive suppliers.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 12:04:46 pm »
Getting cheep color LCD panels involves dealing with Chinese LCD suppliers and buying them in some decent quantity. High brightness panels are pretty rare in general.

The brightness can often be increased by swapping out the backlight LEDs with more powerful ones and/or improving the cooling for the LEDs. The panels are typically just held together with metal clips so a bit of prying with a screwdriver can easily open one up to separate the backlight from the LCD glass.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 12:32:52 am »
Has anyone dealt with orientdisplay.com ? 
The site says their factory is in China, but they claim to have a USA office in Washington State.  That's better than a lot of other suppliers I've seen. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf