Author Topic: Where is pin #1 for NE555P  (Read 3565 times)

Offline fixit7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Where is pin #1 for NE555P
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:10:14 pm »

I looked at the data sheet for this ne 555p chip. I can not figure out where the pin locations are.?

The picture shows a half circle on the chip which tells me nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fitler9s3jt0i64/NE555P.jpg?dl=0

As in where is pin #1 in my picture?

Thanks,
       Andy

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Where is pin #1 for NE555P
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:22:38 pm »
The circular indent in the package points you towards pin 1, in the traditional orientation package diagram of DIP, SOIC and SSOP packages, pin 1 is almost always shown top left.

Thus, the two traditional standards for DIP are a marker at the top or a marker at the top left. Irrespective, if the chip is oriented with its marker to the top (or top left), pin 1 is ALWAYS at the top left.

To be clear in your picture’s orientation, which is at 90 degrees to a standard pinout diagram, the top row of pins is 8 7 6 5

Bottom row is 1 2 3 4.

If you turn your picture clockwise 90 degrees, the marker is at the top left, the same a standard DIP pinout diagram.

Edit: this is an interesting noob question, because it’s one of those things “everyone knows”. Except they don’t.

Edit 2: added some more details, I can’t help feeling my pudding is over egged now.

(What’s more frustrating is that for some packages, manufacturers sometimes show you the view from the bottom, not the top. I have never seen this for DIP though, markings are always shown from the top.)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:20:46 pm by Howardlong »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:41:19 pm »
I remember having this specific problem when I was a kid. Even the otherwise excellent Forrest Mims book I had did not show this detail as I recall and the internet was not a thing then so it was not easy to find the answer. It's something that is very simple once you know it, but without knowing that pins count up counter-clockwise around the IC from the lower left corner it is not obvious.

And I think the above answer has an error, looking down on the top of the IC pin one is the *bottom* left, not the top.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:43:05 pm by james_s »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:11:22 pm »

And I think the above answer has an error, looking down on the top of the IC pin one is the *bottom* left, not the top.

I may be misunderstanding, are you referring to this?

“in the traditional orientation package diagram of DIP, SOIC and SSOP packages, pin 1 is always shown top left.”

Or this?

“If you turn your picture clockwise 90 degrees, the marker is at the top left, the same a standard DIP pinout diagram.”

Or something else?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:13:27 pm by Howardlong »

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:49 pm »
With the notch up, looking at the top of the chip, pin 1 is to the left of the notch and the numbers go CCW around the chip. If it is an 8 pin chip, pin 8 is on the other side of the notch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:30:13 pm »
Here you go. You can have either marker. Sometimes it’s not a physical indent, it can be a printed marking. Very occasionally there’s no explicit orientation marking at all, and you use the printed part details to determine the orientation. In that case the start of the text is the top marker.

This seems to cover all basis far better that I have.

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/basics-finding-pin-1/

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 09:50:01 pm »

I looked at the data sheet for this ne 555p chip. I can not figure out where the pin locations are.?

The picture shows a half circle on the chip which tells me nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fitler9s3jt0i64/NE555P.jpg?dl=0

As in where is pin #1 in my picture?

Thanks,
       Andy

Here:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »
Or you could just be smart about it and look into the datasheet.

You know it's NE555P and it has the texas instruments logo so you google NE555P datasheet filetype:pdf and you get the datasheet.

Link : http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ne555.pdf

Third page tells you the pinout :

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »
I agree that it seems to be one of the things "everybody knows". In the otherwise very nice pinout diagram from the datasheet, neither the correct orientation of the text nor the actual dot are depicted. It simply assumes that you have already worked out for yourself how to find pin 1.

Offline fixit7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 11:41:28 pm »

I may be misunderstanding, are you referring to this?

“in the traditional orientation package diagram of DIP, SOIC and SSOP packages, pin 1 is always shown top left.”

Or this?

“If you turn your picture clockwise 90 degrees, the marker is at the top left, the same a standard DIP pinout diagram.”

Or something else?

Apparently my reading comprehension suffers a bit on a Monday morning.

I was thinking in terms of the IC being oriented so that the printing on it is right side up, so the dot is on the left and pin 1 is the bottom-left pin. If you rotate the IC "sideways" so the notch is at the top then pin 1 is going to be the top-left.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 12:20:37 am »
If Pin 1 is at top left, why is the printing on the IC always sideways?   :-//

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the printing horizontal as is normal, and the Pin 1 be the bottom left?    :-DD

Now, what is really confusing is when the schematic has the pins all mixed up for routing purposes and they are labeled by their functions rather than their numbers. I think that must be done as a cruel joke by designers played on beginners.      |O

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:33 am »
The dot should only be trusted if there is no notch and it is specifically called out in the datasheets. You will encounter ships that have that injection moldering dot on the complete opposite end of the chip from the pin 1 notch.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 03:22:58 am »
Now, what is really confusing is when the schematic has the pins all mixed up for routing purposes and they are labeled by their functions rather than their numbers. I think that must be done as a cruel joke by designers played on beginners.      |O

That's done for a very good reason, pins are grouped by function to enable clear, logically drawn schematics that are easy to read. I find it very annoying and cumbersome when schematics are drawn with the pins in actual physical locations, maybe it's ok for very early beginners but it would drive engineers nuts and result in ugly hard to follow schematics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf