Author Topic: Where is the good heatshrink at  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where is the good heatshrink at
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:49:49 am »
I've been using cheap heatshrink off amazon for a long time, the kind with a bunch of pre-cut pieces in different sizes, and it is great when it is almost the size of the wire it's going on, but it's awful for things that aren't round or change in size/shape.

I've been using the same heat gun for a long time, don't remember the model but it works very well. I have used it on smd rework and such.

What heatshrink do the pros here use for situations like flat cables or something like that, instead of getting an awkward oval that doesn't conform to the shape of the wire/conductor?

I also don't want to wrap it in kapton tape or something like that since it's messy and risks damaging the connection by trying to repeatedly feed tape around it.r
High school graduate

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Re: Where is the good heatshrink at
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:48:04 pm »
There are heat shield kits . http://www.circuitmedic.com/products/201-3160.html . For flat cables use the heat shield blanket

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:42:29 pm »
I bought a kit from RS years ago, one of the best investments ever and probably cheapest option in the long run. Many sizes, heaps of heat shrink. Seems like good quality compared to some I have used.
Software guy studying B.Eng.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:07:19 am »
Some times you might get the opposite problem occurring where the clamp or tweezers your using is drawing to much heat away and prevents soldering . Titanium is a really poor conductor of heat .There are titanium clamps and tweezers for that  can help with some conditions. Titanium also makes good heat deflectors.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:32:30 am »
I generally order it from McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-shrink-tubing

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:09:52 pm »
Damn My eyes . Sorry I thought you needed to protect from heat while soldering.
For cables including ribbon cables I don't use heat shrink at all because it becomes to stiff to work with. Just use a flexible sleeve . Braided or non braided it's up to you.
With sensitive wiring you can get  conductive sleeving that you can attach to a ground .

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 01:23:14 am »
I can't see how you would heatshrink a flat cable and not expect it to pull inwards? Unless you have physical support at the edge of the cable to keep its shape. Post some photos and it may help get your idea across better.

Some aliex sellers are cheap thin crap, some are good, so far this seller has sent me decent stuff, but its 2:1.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf