Author Topic: Which of these is the blue LED?  (Read 824 times)

Offline NaDobraNichTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Which of these is the blue LED?
« on: April 01, 2024, 10:24:16 pm »
LTST-E133

I'm trying to determine which one of these three LEDs in this package is the blue one. The datasheet doesn't say.

The spacial luminosity chart seems to show green is in the center.

So is the red AlGan one on the right? Or is that the blue that has different construction from other LEDs?

Better image: https://www.mouser.com/images/liteon/lrg/LTST-E133CEGBK_SPL.jpg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:27:00 pm by NaDobraNich »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Which of these is the blue LED?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 07:44:49 am »
Yes, the red one is the red LED.  Unfortunately there's no way to differentiate the green from the blue, without turning it on.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 09:03:44 am »
The blue LED is the blue one.  :)

As shown in the datasheet, R stands for red, G stands for green, and B stands for blue (page 12 of 14):
https://optoelectronics.liteon.com/upload/download/DS22-2020-0083/LTST-E133HEGBK.PDF

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:13:07 am »
LTST-E133

I'm trying to determine which one of these three LEDs in this package is the blue one. The datasheet doesn't say.

So is the red AlGan one on the right? Or is that the blue that has different construction from other LEDs?

This looks right, partly from the data sheet...

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 10:24:44 am »
Red one is obvious. And according to spatial distribution it should be this:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:26:47 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: NaDobraNich

Offline cosmicray

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 10:30:34 am »
Many of the common variety 2.5-3.5 v LEDs will illuminate from the diode test on a DMM. The cheap DMM I'm using will also cause them to flash on the capacitance test ranges (lower capacitance range gives a dimmer flash, higher gives a much brighter flash).
it's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious - R. Rabbit

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 12:21:35 pm »
Many of the common variety 2.5-3.5 v LEDs will illuminate from the diode test on a DMM. The cheap DMM I'm using will also cause them to flash on the capacitance test ranges (lower capacitance range gives a dimmer flash, higher gives a much brighter flash).

Only issue here is that this is a digitally driven RGB LED assembly. Only way to verify the datasheet on validity is to hook up the power supply and send the data to illuminate the blue LED.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 01:07:42 pm »
MrAl provided the datasheet and from that it is obvious which LED is R/G/B as it also shows the orientation of the device. Strange that one LED is constructed so differently than the other two however the luminousity intensity and field pattern are very well matched so they had their reasons.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 01:25:18 pm »
Strange that one LED is constructed so differently than the other two however the luminousity intensity and field pattern are very well matched so they had their reasons.
Not strange at all. Blue LEDs always have two bond wires due to how die is grown on sapphire substrate. There are no red InGaN LEDs in production, so it's not necessary making two bond wires for those.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 01:46:09 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: NaDobraNich

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 05:23:01 pm »
LTST-E133

So....

I should have pointed this out because it isn't obvious. But this picture is likely wrong unreliable. Because the pin out is wrong. This is a generic picture, so I would not take into account that has to be the order of the LEDs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:04:28 pm by NaDobraNich »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 05:24:05 pm »
Strange that one LED is constructed so differently than the other two however the luminousity intensity and field pattern are very well matched so they had their reasons.
Not strange at all. Blue LEDs always have two bond wires due to how die is grown on sapphire substrate. There are no red InGaN LEDs in production, so it's not necessary making two bond wires for those.

This is what I was looking for! I knew someone would be able to look at it and confirm based on the different construction. I had assumed the odd-man out was the red one, and green we know is in the center.

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 09:18:05 am »
LTST-E133

So....

I should have pointed this out because it isn't obvious. But this picture is likely wrong unreliable. Because the pin out is wrong. This is a generic picture, so I would not take into account that has to be the order of the LEDs.

That's almost always the case anyway as every design has to be bench tested at least once, preferably more than once.  An overnight run is also recommended if this is to go into production.

If the placement is that critical then it also be necessary to contact the manufacturer to make sure they will never change the arrangement of LEDs for this very part number.  These days they do things that that too.  They even change the pin marker sometimes and you don't know it right away.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf