Author Topic: Which soldering iron?  (Read 18359 times)

Offline meanpcTopic starter

• Contributor
    • MeanPC
Which soldering iron?
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »
I started out with a cheap soldering station like this: http://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Station-Features-Continuously-Variable/dp/B0029N70WM/ref=pd_sbs_indust_6
It broke, imagine that.  :-\

Now I'm using an 8 dollar iron I bought at Radio Shack, and it is obviously horrible - doesn't even have adjustable temperature.

So, I'm looking at several soldering stations and I'm wondering which one I should get.

Hakko FX-888 - http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Soldering-Station-FX-888-65W/dp/B004M3U0VU/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

Aoyue 2900 - http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-2900-Lead-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ZPUKQ4/ref=pd_sbs_indust_9

Weller WESD51 - http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_8

I was kind of wanting to come in under $100 USD for this.  I'd also like the soldering station to have auto shut-off and digital temperature selection.  Anyone have advice on a particular model to get?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Which soldering iron?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »
Stay away from the Weller. Many problems with their QC now
Well actually if you don't mind not having digital readout the FX-888 is good... Unless you're good for a FX-951 clone  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:25:03 pm »
If you want to stay at or under $100, and still have a really good station, go for the Hakko FX-888. The Hakko FX-951 will get you what you want, but is 2.5x your budget to get an LED readout and the extra features (heating element is in the tip, not part of the iron's handle for this model, so it may perform even better than the FX-888 in regard to recovery time).

As T4P indicated, Weller's QC has declined quite a bit, even for the German made models (WESD51 = Mexico, WD & WX series = Germany, and they all have DOA's and other failures). When mine dies, I'm going with something else, probably JBC.

The Aoyue will meet your requirements, but it's not at the same quality level from what I'm reading as the Hakko or others (heat shield issues; seems it may be fixable, but you shouldn't have to; long term reliability is unknown, but I'd think questionable; stand that actually comes with it doesn't seem that good either). Take a look here for the actual stand: http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6510/0/soldering_iron_holder_for_968 to see what some of the comments are on about.

I wouldn't recommend skimping on an iron, so if you can't live with the manual knob on the FX-888, then save up additional cash for a better unit with digital controls IMHO.

Hope this helps, and good luck.  :)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »
At the very fair least the 2900 has the heater on the tip

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »
There's really no benefit to a digital readout on a soldering station for the typical user.

If you want a really nice iron for a good price, get the Hakko FX-888.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:30 pm »
There's really no benefit to a digital readout on a soldering station for the typical user.

If you want a really nice iron for a good price, get the Hakko FX-888.
Quite true, but it's nice, and the additional features, such as auto-off, or sleep/hibernation when the iron is tucked in the stand, can be quite nice to have if the budget will allow.  ;)

If not, the value of the FX-888 seems to be the best available in it's price range at least in the US, and it's within the OP's posted budget. Hard to go wrong on this one IMHO.

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »
FX-888 a valuable investment for my desk. You have a light that comes off when it is ready, kind of like an oven. temperature is set and forget, locking at 350 and enjoying the light come on for a split second for recovery when soldering a huge surface is more intuitive than a readout.

I prefer the iron to be ready when tucked in holder, no hibernation for me. The whole thing is ceramic and silicone and metal, can't damage it even if it is left on forever.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:13:47 pm by MmCoffee »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »
I prefer the iron to be ready when tucked in holder, no hibernation for me. The whole thing is ceramic and silicone and metal, can't damage it even if it is left on forever.
More about keeping tip oxidation down (helps keep it nice and clean = good quality joints + tips last longer, which is easier on the wallet).

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 02:24:18 am »
I'd choose Fx888 also, it seems to be a good iron, I think it will be my next buy since my Yaxun is going bad... Wish fx951 were less expensive.

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 06:03:42 am »
which is easier on the wallet.

Reminds me of all the inexpensive hakko accessories out there on eBay (probably better than others overall), forgot if cheaper ones may damage something or just degrade faster, but surely you can use them for the rough stuff.
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:54:00 am »
which is easier on the wallet.

Reminds me of all the inexpensive hakko accessories out there on eBay (probably better than others overall), forgot if cheaper ones may damage something or just degrade faster, but surely you can use them for the rough stuff.
And don't forget the infamous "936" clones and accessories. The better-made ones are probably the highest value for the money at the moment, with the FX-888 not far from that.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:07 am »
In the states at least but elsewhere in the world it's just appalling why they have to charge 200 dollars elsewhere
And it was made in Malaysia! so you can't say freight costs ... for my country

• Contributor
    • MeanPC
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 10:16:50 am »
I appreciate all the input.  I was leaning toward the Hakko 888, and this thread has pretty much sealed the deal.  I just wish it had auto-off, I'm really bad about forgetting to turn the soldering iron off.

Offline CoolBeer

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:21:44 am »
You'll be happy with the hakko, it's a good soldering station.
You could easily use a timer on the mains outlet, set it to 30min or so when you start, then start cussing when the timer goes off  while you are soldering.

-
Kolbjørn

• Contributor
    • MeanPC
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 05:32:41 am »
You could easily use a timer on the mains outlet, set it to 30min or so when you start, then start cussing when the timer goes off  while you are soldering.

-
Kolbjørn

I think I will.  I would hate to leave the thing on for days.  It'd be another thing for me to wonder if I turned off 1 hour after leaving for a vacation. :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:31 pm »
I think I will.  I would hate to leave the thing on for days.  It'd be another thing for me to wonder if I turned off 1 hour after leaving for a vacation. :)
A power strip with an illuminated switch might work as a reminder to turn it off (switching off whatever equipment is plugged into it).  ;) Works for me, and it seems it works for other members here as well.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 03:42:17 am »
Well ... i have two clones of the 936A (One with a soft-start sequence to prolong the heater and the other one the standard model)
The one with the soft-start has the power on LED ... finally!

It was time they did this

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:41 am »
Dear Meanpc:

--All the Hakkos are very serviceable. If you keep your eyes open you may be able to save a few dollars, by getting a used 936 on eBay, for example, have a look at link below, which will finish shortly, but there will be others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-936-SOLDERING-STATION-/310422852733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4846a4d47d

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work."
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens ) 1835 1910

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:16:58 am »

-
Kolbjørn

@SgtRock: That one is the non-ESD-safe version. Might be OK for general electrical stuff and non-sensitive parts, but I think ESD-safe should be a given if you want a temperature-controlled soldering station. I recommend getting a hot air gun if you're planning on SMD work too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:23:34 am by amyk »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:27:15 am by T4P »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
If you're going to get a 936 clone, at least get one with a heatsinked triac.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:48:38 am »
Some of them might be efficient not to require one but it's easy to hack in one all the time

• Contributor
    • MeanPC
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 06:15:41 am »
Update:  Got the FX-888 yesterday.  I really like the build quality of this thing, and the design is awesome.  It gets up to temp in under a minute!  Looking forward to doing some work with this soldering iron tomorrow.  Love the design on this thing!

I have watched Dave's hack video for the power status LED.  The last soldering iron I was using didn't even have an on/off switch and it took 15 minutes to warm up good.  Now that I have one that can heat up in ~30 seconds, and it has an on/off switch, maybe I won't have a problem turning it off after every round of soldering.

Thanks for the advice

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:30 am »
imagine that when you pick up the iron from the stand and its over 300celsius when you reach the joint with it, its off when sits in the stand. you would love that :)

• Contributor
    • MeanPC
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 09:37:16 am »
I've only had a few occasions to use the iron so far, and it has been awesome.  It heats up so fast that I just make the few joints I need at the moment, then turn it off.  Turns out, the reason the other one was getting left on accidentally is that I was afraid to turn it off until I was SURE I was done - it would take 10 minutes to get back up to temp if I was wrong.

Love the way the Hakko FX-888 looks, feels and performs - good advice guys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf