Electronics > Beginners

Why does my Scope do this, and what specification do I look for to avoid it.

(1/7) > >>

Neutron7:
Hello, bit of a digital scope newb here!

I have the Rigol DS1052E (not modded) and i am looking at chaotic attractors, which are running at 0.1- 1 hz cycle time.
I am using XY mode.

at that low frequency, the scope only shows the trace less than 20% of the time, so basically i just get a dotted line. quite useless! adjusting the timebase just changes the length of the dots.
on my analog scope it is also useless, because it has low persistence, you cant see the trace at that low speed.

I would have though displaying a slowly moving voltage would be EASIER, not harder, anyways what causes it, and what specification would i look at in a different Digital scope so that would not happen?

(also i would like variable persistence, rather than just OFF and ON.)

Thanks!

saturation:
IIRC the Rigol specs say the lowest frequency is ~ 5 Hz, not sure why.

For very slow items, you might get a way with the roll mode, its triggerless, and simply like seismometer, just a 'roll' of paper with a pen on it that registers as the event occurs.

Neutron7:
The roll mode is good for low frequency stuff, but there is no trigger, and it will not work in XY mode.

saturation:
What is the pulse width of the signal, at this low frequency?

--- Quote from: Neutron7 on October 20, 2011, 07:36:26 pm ---The roll mode is good for low frequency stuff, but there is no trigger, and it will not work in XY mode.

--- End quote ---

Neutron7:
Often it will be something like a sine wave on one axis, and version wave which has been processed on the other axis, this varies with time, and i want to see a complete record of the trace.
(it is for a modular synthesizer)

I would be willing to upgrade to a better scope if i can avoid this, but I have not seen any demos of XY mode on digital scopes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version