Author Topic: Why sizes are different between 5V DC charger and power supply  (Read 3474 times)

Offline teedeeTopic starter

I'm looking for a small 10W 5V DC power supply module for my Arduino controller but when I search online, I notice that the 5V chargers are usually much smaller than those 5V power supply modules with similar power ratings. For example, this charger is much smaller than this power supply. Why are they so much different in size and are there any 5V DC power supply module that is as compact as a typical 5V charger?

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why sizes are different between 5V DC charger and power supply
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »
The specific charger that you linked has it's current rating Photoshop'ed out. It's unlikely to actually deliver 2A. Most "2A" chargers that you will find are likely to only be 1A.
The SMPS that you linked is likely to actually be able to deliver 2A. And it's not that much bigger than a power adapter(Size (L x W x H): Approx. 2.8 x 1.5 x 1.2 inch).
Plus the power supply has to accommodate space for the headers and has to have some clearance from the outer metal shell (not that important with plastic shell ).
The SMPS appears large in the pictures, yes, but it's not. Measure one of your 5v power adapters and see the dimensions aren't that much different.

Perhaps this will give you a better perspective:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:31:21 pm by Signal32 »

The following users thanked this post: teedee

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:07:41 pm »
Well, I probably wouldn't recommend using that type of power supply unless you are planning to actually install it in an enclosure.

That is not a lab supply and is not designed to be used as-is on the bench - exposed mains terminals, only minimal case, so if you drop a piece of wire or solder it can cause a short inside (with potentially catastrophic effects), etc. That doesn't mean it is a bad supply, just make sure you use it for what it was designed for - to be embedded into an enclosed project, with proper wiring and grounding.

BTW, buying power supplies on eBay from a random seller in China is a really really bad idea. For a $2 supply, what do you think will be the quality of the mains transformer, overload protection and insulation? I am pretty sure that it will be the cheapest piece of dangerous crap you could get.

Don't be cheap and buy a proper supply from e.g. Digikey or another major vendor in your area. They are not much more expensive and you have at least some minimum assurance (such as UL listing) that the thing will not burn down your house or kill you. It is literally the only thing between your Arduino and the mains outlet. Or do you value your health and home so little?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:10:00 pm by janoc »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:46 pm »
Just get a decent, quality USB charger that's really capable of supplying 2A. If you don't already have one laying around from another device that is.

Offline Nexo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:11:37 am »
Most  USB chargers  are 5V and 1A top. Is it possible to create a circuit in order to raise that 1A until 2A?

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:02 am »
Most  USB chargers  are 5V and 1A top. Is it possible to create a circuit in order to raise that 1A until 2A?
Yes, it's called a cosmic ray harvester and it increases your efficiency to 200%. You have to wear a protective tinfoil hat while you are using it, though. Safety first!
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 01:01:27 am »
I should test this (and can tomorrow if you like), but I'd probably just buy an Apple 12W USB power supply for $20 and call it a day. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work admirably for an arduino.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 02:14:34 am »
I think there should be some organization to stop ebay from selling extremely cheap and extremely dangerous junk like those power supplies that will probably burn down your home.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 07:58:25 am »
I think there should be some organization to stop ebay from selling extremely cheap and extremely dangerous junk like those power supplies that will probably burn down your home.

Then eBay, Aliexpress and pretty much every strip mall would have to close. ;)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:06 am »
Most  USB chargers  are 5V and 1A top.

Nearly everything sold in the past 3-4 years has 2A chargers.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:38:12 pm »
I like to figure out what thrift stores are in my area and move a lot of electronic stuff. They throw out an enormous number of chargers, usually because the cords get so tangled no one is willing to sort them out. I give whomever is in charge a few bucks to text me when they are going to throw them out. Bring a set of wire cutters and you'll walk away with every DC power supply you'll ever need in every spec imaginable. I especially look for car phone and laptop charger adopters (DC-DC buck/boost converters).
  As a side benefit, these are generally tested and proven devices that don't burn your house down.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 02:15:15 pm »
... I notice that the 5V chargers are usually much smaller than those 5V power supply modules with similar power ratings.

They are designed for different environments.

The steal maze type hast to be put in another enclosure, because it is not water/kids safe.
The plastic type cannot be put into another encosure, it needs much air circulation or it will melt away.

The only situation I know you could choose both is a furniture-size ELDON/Rittal cabinet. The plastic type has the disadvantage here that you will need/occupy a 10$ DIN Socket, so place and money are away.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 02:32:36 pm »

I think the expensive existing subsidized organisations swarm around DIN, EU, CE, TUV, VDE, EN, AREI,.. (insert +100 others here) should return to their core business, and for 1 time do what is in their task list instead of only thinking about their own infinitely bureaucracy expansion.

1)look if the imported device has a CE mark.
-When not, no problem. User's responsability to burn their baby. Reading "CE" is possible for every adult.

2)When it has a CE mark, see if it is legal (legal test reports, certified bodies etc)
-When it has a "legal" CE mark, good. The EXISTING regulation is fine. (but applied poorly)

3)When it has an fraudulent illegal CE mark, ban the company+owners+ceo+distributor+... personally from the
international market. Burn/recycle all their products.

4)When there is procedural doubt without de-facto real-life danger, provide fast 2-way feedback.

5)Periodically test random devices, and make +Y2K style youtube reports about this. 
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf