Author Topic: Circuit building blocks for absolute beginners?  (Read 9389 times)

Offline ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Circuit building blocks for absolute beginners?
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:10:20 am »
PLEASE READ MY POSTS FOR CLARIFICATION.

Am introducing an adult absolute beginner to electronics and am looking for a book or magazine series that covers very basic circuit building blocks, with a description of what is occurring, similar to this website: http://www.opencircuits.com/Basic_Circuit_Building_Blocks

Ideally something that would explain what each components role in the circuit is. If it had a section on common uses for each component that could work as well.

After we have worked through that...

Is there any other suitable reading that will combine the above knowledge and step a beginner, through the operational theory of devices such as an AM radio, regulated power supplies, tone generators etc but from a minimalist and non math heavy or programming approach?

Something like what was covered in Dick Smith and Heathkit kitsets, generic as possible and suitable for beginners.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:24:19 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: kazan417

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor

• Super Contributor
Re: Circuit building blocks for absolute beginners?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »
This one? http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/education/

No unless there is something I'm missing on that site.

I'm after actual circuit building blocks as described in my post, rather than electronics/physics theory.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jcnBPSPWQyaTU1OW5NbVJQNW8/edit

No am not after a learning electronics book.

As in my original post, this page has the type of content I want, I'm after a more complete and well written version. http://www.opencircuits.com/Basic_Circuit_Building_Blocks

Voltage dividers, rectifiers, current shunts, filters, protection circuits, basic opamp, transistor bias circuits and covering things like a Darlington Pair through to a Schmitt Trigger. Building block circuits with functional descriptions.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 11:20:42 pm »
This one? http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/education/

No unless there is something I'm missing on that site.

I'm after actual circuit building blocks as described in my post, rather than electronics/physics theory.

Skipping the fundamentals of electronics including basic components and instead jumping first into actual circuit modules examples just leaves too many holes in knowledge and any learning relies on trying more on to memorize design rules with less knowledge of why and how for independent design efforts.

People have been learning and teaching electronics for a very long time now and has proven to be successful to
help advance the state of art we have all seen over so many decades. Trying to short circuit or ignore the basic fundamentals is bound to have sever ahh... disadvantages.  :-+

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:22:33 pm by retrolefty »

Offline Stuartambient

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 11:38:10 pm »
No am not after a learning electronics book.

As in my original post, this page has the type of content I want, I'm after a more complete and well written version. http://www.opencircuits.com/Basic_Circuit_Building_Blocks

Voltage dividers, rectifiers, current shunts, filters, protection circuits, basic opamp, transistor bias circuits and covering things like a Darlington Pair through to a Schmitt Trigger. Building block circuits with functional descriptions.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/
I'm repeating but the books have circuits, including the experiments book.   Most of what you list is in the first 3 books, and using the circuit diagrams I've been able to replicate voltage dividers, wheatstone bridge and some others.  The experiments book has a lab for a very basic, not to be relied on analog multi-meter.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:16 am »
Skipping the fundamentals of electronics including basic components and instead jumping first into actual circuit modules examples just leaves too many holes in knowledge and any learning relies on trying more on to memorize design rules with less knowledge of why and how for independent design efforts.

While I don't disagree with you, the fact of the matter is that modern technology has evolved to functional block thinking - especially with electronics.  People are 'getting into electronics' with things like Arduino where the closest thing they get to theory is putting a current limiting resistor on an LED.

To capture the initial interest in the subject, the 'jump' into functional blocks has, IMHO, become a pragmatic, if not necessary, approach.  Having a description of what each component does within the scope of particular functionality enables a better appreciation of the component's 'abilities' and effects than a dry, abstract and insular theoretical analysis.  It's the difference between Applied Math (which I enjoyed) and Pure Math (which I found more challenging).

Getting into theory can then follow - once someone wants to 'tweak' the circuitry in the functional blocks ... or make up their own.

It's like driving a car.  In the early days, you needed to be a mechanic, but not today.  However, if you wanted to do things to the car, you would make the effort to learn the technical stuff.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:06:24 am by Brumby »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:12:20 am »
Another site with a list of what I'm after.
http://www.circuit-fantasia.com/tutorial/intro/list_of_circuits.htm

I would prefer a book or magazine series of building block circuits or something at least fairly concise.

Offline techie1234

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:58:12 pm »
Here's a nice series of e-books with, literally, hundreds of simple circuits:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/100%20IC%20Circuits/1-100_IC-Ccts.html

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 01:22:22 am »
Not what I'm after but thanks for trying.

1. I'm after primarily building block circuits, not electronics projects.
2. The full circuits I'm after are jelly bean circuits like AM radio, basic amplifiers, regulated supplies.

Both must explain the circuit operation clearly. I would prefer something published rather than cobbled together. I've had a good look myself which is why I'm asking.

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 04:31:40 am »
When I was still learning about electronics there was nothing better than Radio-Electronics

https://archive.org/details/radioelectronicsmagazine?&sort=-date&page=1

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 05:08:20 am »
When I was still learning about electronics there was nothing better than Radio-Electronics
https://archive.org/details/radioelectronicsmagazine?&sort=-date&page=1

Does it have an article or series on what I'm after? If so what edition?

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 05:39:30 am »
Not what I'm after but thanks for trying.

1. I'm after primarily building block circuits, not electronics projects.
2. The full circuits I'm after are jelly bean circuits like AM radio, basic amplifiers, regulated supplies.

Both must explain the circuit operation clearly. I would prefer something published rather than cobbled together. I've had a good look myself which is why I'm asking.

A lot of these circuits have quite a lot of depth to them, and explaining the operation in detail can be quite involved, involving theory and/or math.

Even such simple things as OpAmps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier), that have an inverting and non-inverting input and one output, and have been engineered to be pretty much linear have entire books about how to use them.

Try picking up a second-hand college/university Electronics text book (sorry, many 100s of pages). That will give you the clearest, most accurate descriptions and depth of understanding. From then on it is the far more fun and interesting part of analyzing existing designs  and see how you could adapt them to your needs.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline techie1234

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 12:50:49 pm »
Here's another approach, perhaps at least for the simple circuits side: try getting one of the "nnn in 1" electronics kits that were sold by Radio Shack back in the 1970s.  The manual is the important part, as it explains each circuit's operation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-150-in-1-Electronic-Project-Kit-Radio-Shack-Science-Fair-1976-No-28-248-/172301492054

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:42:09 pm »
Couldn't find that 150 in one but I found a 50, 130, 160, 200 and 500 in one lol, bit long winded but basic descriptions. They appear to be still selling these under different brands, be interesting to see if they rewrote some of those manuals or just copied them from the old versions.

I would prefer the "Current limiting resistor" "Bleed resistor" "Voltage divider" "Load resistor" approach which provides as little information as possible.

The Radio Shack learning lab workbooks (200 projects) by Forrest Mims, looks pretty sweet, not what I'm after though.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 09:38:23 pm »
A lot of people have suggested what are very good paths to learning how electronics work, either from a theoretical approach or a hands-on approach, including such classics as the Forrest Mims, however nothing seems to be what you want - nothing seems to be concise enough, or detailed enough. We might as well point you at Maxwell's equations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_equations) and be done with it. That is everything you can know about electricity & magnetism, in a few handy equations. A complete description of all electronics.

Take this analogy - Computers can be completely defined by saying "We have things that can store numbers, and things that can process numbers, based on a list of instructions that are also represented by numbers, and that is about it", and that is completely true, and completely describes computing, and completely misses the point of what modern computing is all about. 

Trying to find a concise description for basic electronic components with the aim that you then will understand all of electronics because they are all built out of these parts is a fallacy - a bit like how understanding the C programming language will help you understand Huffman coding or DSP math.

Most of the really neat electronics is when people use bland components in inventive ways... so the best way is to learn the basic components, learn the basic formula, build and analyse a few circuits, and look at other people's designs. After a while you will start intuitively seeing the structures you are hoping to find. You will then see things like 'that is a bleed resistor, and can be ignored', 'that transistor is an amplifier, but that one is matching impedance, and that one is acting as a current source', and 'that is a resistor is there to limit current' - and when something doesn't make sense, explore Google or books like "The Art of Electronics" to find and understand it.

Anyhow, that's just my ranting :)
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 11:21:54 pm »
Whats been suggested is great if I was going to read or give someone a book on learning electronics, but that is not what I'm asking for here.

I've tried to make it as clear as I can given those websites and examples.

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 02:40:09 am »
There probably isn't a single good source for what you're after which is a shame. Datasheet application notes are a good source for example circuits but you are looking for a library which they are not.

http://www.eleccircuit.com/simple-electronic-circuits/ is the closest thing I can find but is a bit of a mixed bag, some are very specific circuits

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 10:42:22 pm »
Here's one for Opamps:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:44:46 pm by MarkF »

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 11:00:32 pm »
For a beginner,  in the same spirit as what you are looking for, i would recommend the application everycircuit.
http://everycircuit.com/
If you look to the examples, they provide a nice selection of building blocs.

You can also look to the best of contributed examples

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf