Author Topic: Appropriate use for a triac-output optocoupler?  (Read 433 times)

Offline TheBaconWizardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Appropriate use for a triac-output optocoupler?
« on: February 26, 2020, 02:35:59 am »
Hi all.

I am wanting to cheaply make a circuit that uses one noise to trigger the output of another. Namely, a live drum beat via a microphone to cause the audience to briefly hear the output of a piano-keyboard.

I was thinking of using the attached circuit to detect the drum hit. But replace the LED with the input side of zero-crossing triac-output optocoupler whereby the triac output permits current to flow from the line-out of a keyboard which is already playing.

Does this seem practical? I am not asking about the section of the circuit which is highlighted, I just happened to screenshot-it when that was happening. I am aware that it will need tuning for sensitivity and duration. I was however, considering dispensing with the comparator entirely and simply allowing the optocoupler's LED to fade-out gradually, according to the time constant of the capacitor.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:00:51 am by TheBaconWizard »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Appropriate use for a triac-output optocoupler?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:18:28 pm »
No, a TRIAC is completely unsuitable for carrying an audio signal. It will introduce a horrible amount of crossover distortion. You need a photo-coupled MOSFET, i.e. a small solid state relay suited to both AC and DC operation.

The following users thanked this post: TheBaconWizard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf