Author Topic: Why would you have a bench multimeter over a high spec handheld one?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline dongeoTopic starter

Hi All, I'm new to this electronics stuff, considering the utility of a handheld multimeter, is there an advantage to having a bench one? I've googled it but I don't quite understand the advantages in a practical sense, are they more accurate or something? Or are there features in there you just can't get in a portable one?

Thanks,

Don

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Why would you have a bench multimeter over a high spec handheld one?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:20:55 am »
The main one for me is not having to replace the batteries.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:26:50 am »
Yes, usually bench dmm are higher accuracy than hand held ones.
They start with 4.5 digit and go right upto 8.5 digit.
They also have better connectivity to computers so they are often used to log measurments.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 09:43:54 am »
There are some really good quick answers:
  • Better user interface
  • Better specs
  • Networking / PC interfacing
  • No batteries that leak when ever they feel like it.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:01 am »
For me, it is just more convenient to use my bench DMM compared to a handheld: You don't have to find a position on your bench for your DMM, worry about it tipping over (especially when you rotate the dial), having to put it on your DUT because the leads are too short etc...

If you have a bench DMM on a shelf above your DUT you just plug your two leads in and look up when you want to see the measurement. Also, bench DMMs have features like 4 wire measurements and are usually way cheaper than handhelds (a 6.5 digit bench DMM will set you back 200 bucks while a handheld 6.5 digit easily costs over 800 bucks).

If your question was aimed towards "what should i buy?" i recommend getting a good quality handheld first, a bench DMM is only wortwhile as an upgrade when you already have a handheld and need better accuracy than your handheld offers or you get tired of having to mess around with a handheld.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 11:44:03 am »
Apart from the already good points raised, there is also the aspect of your type of work and the organization and available space of your bench. If you excluively work in your bench, this type of meter helps unclutter the main work area and allows you to eventually develop some sort of mechanical memory as you reach out to it to make the measurements. Another aspect is that, depending on the display technology and the age of the operator, the bench meters allow themselves to have more power hungry displays such as TFT, LED or VFD with greater visibility (this is a highly personal topic). Along the same lines, since the bench DMMs are powered by mains, you can leave them turned ON for prolonged times without worrying about battery life - this is important if you want to capture long streams of data from a slow process such as battery charging, for example.

With all that said, for a first meter I would still pick a handheld one, as it is much more versatile and you typically need it outside of a bench environment.

Good luck in your decision.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:30 am »
4 Wire ohms is rare with hand held meters. Another point is high impedance (e.g. > 1 G) for voltages up to some 10 V or even more. Another point not very compatible with battery operation is a higher (e.g. 10 mA) current for low resistors.

Offline calzap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 02:41:31 pm »
As jogri and rsjsouza say, buy a good handheld first.   As you gain experience, when the time comes for a bench multimeter, you’ll know it.   Really educational to investigate the differences in features and convenience, but unless you’ve got lots of cash, hold back on the bench meter until you know more.

Mike in California

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 05:24:19 pm »
Hi All, I'm new to this electronics stuff, considering the utility of a handheld multimeter, is there an advantage to having a bench one? I've googled it but I don't quite understand the advantages in a practical sense, are they more accurate or something? Or are there features in there you just can't get in a portable one?

Thanks,

Don

It can be confusing because there are so many brands and price points that you might think that there is a huge overlap between the two.  If you look at one line like Fluke, the best handheld DMM they offer, which unless I am mistaken, is the 4.5 digit 289 at around $500.  The least expensive Fluke bench meter is the 5.5 digit 8808A, which is around $800 or so.  So bench meters are typically intended to be higher-end more precise lab instruments, handhelds have a variety of uses and may be more protected and rugged, but don't compete with bench meters for accuracy, etc.

If you mix it up and start looking at inter-brand comparisons, it gets a lot murkier.  A bench BK Precision 2831E and a handheld (perhaps two-hand-held) Fluke 289 are roughly comparable in accuracy, features, digits, etc but the BK is slightly cheaper.  If you were deciding between the two, you'd have to consider exactly how  you use it and what features are most useful.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline dongeoTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 07:53:02 pm »
Brilliant, thanks guys, that really sums it up for me. Aside from that, do you have any tips for someone starting out?

Offline calzap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 11:02:58 pm »
Read and watch, read and watch.   Even better if you can find a mentor.  Consider getting a radio amateur license.  In most countries, you can do it in stages from a limited license to one that allows more privileges.  Radio amateurs and their clubs are a great place to find mentors.   There may be local electronic clubs as well.   There are learning kits that you can buy online … places like Adafruit and Spark Fun.   Dive-in and get hands-on.   Stay away from high voltage projects, and that includes mains work, until you have more knowledge and experience.

In addition to a multimeter, you’ll need some bread boards and jumpers, a power supply or two, a signal generator, and a scope.   The last two can wait, but you will want them before long.

Mike in California

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 11:14:14 pm »
This thread is excellent for both handheld and bench multimeter info: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

Make sure you check out most of the app note links as well as the spreadsheets. Lots of good info.

Also realize that everyone who is serious ends up with multiple multimeters of various types. Having one is critical, the second is often useful, the third usually has some feature the other two don't, and the rest are mostly for fun and/or convenience.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:17:08 pm by Nusa »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 12:00:56 am »
Brilliant, thanks guys, that really sums it up for me. Aside from that, do you have any tips for someone starting out?

Don't start off buying a bunch of expensive equipment until you're sure you won't lose interest. I've seen this happen so many times over the years when people decide to start a new hobby, and not just electronics.

As a start (and maybe for many years) in the electronics hobby, one handheld and one bench type meter is fine, or maybe two handheld if you want the portability. You don't need to spend more than $250 (total) on meters. The only other expensive item I'd recommend is an oscilloscope. Anything else, you should build your first one.

Offline kaffine

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 02:50:50 am »
2 reasons I prefer the bench vs handheld.  My bench meter has buttons for all the settings so I just have to push a single button to switch vs turning a dial.  The other is the handheld it always seems the auto-off function turns it off just as I am looking at an important signal. 

If you do any work away from your bench the handheld I would want a handheld first.  If on the other hand you only do bench work then I would get the bench first then get a handheld only if you decide you need it.  Where I am at now I wouldn't miss my handheld, the rare occasion I need a meter at the microscope / solder bench I can deal with moving the bench one but having to use a handheld all the time for bench work would annoy me.   

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 04:43:23 am »
Read and watch, read and watch.   Even better if you can find a mentor.  Consider getting a radio amateur license.  In most countries, you can do it in stages from a limited license to one that allows more privileges.  Radio amateurs and their clubs are a great place to find mentors.   There may be local electronic clubs as well.   There are learning kits that you can buy online … places like Adafruit and Spark Fun.   Dive-in and get hands-on.   Stay away from high voltage projects, and that includes mains work, until you have more knowledge and experience.

In addition to a multimeter, you’ll need some bread boards and jumpers, a power supply or two, a signal generator, and a scope.   The last two can wait, but you will want them before long.

Mike in California

I think this ^ is good advice.

Along these lines I’d say you will want two handheld DMM’s to start.  One can be an Aneng 8008 and the other might be the best Fluke or Brymen or (fill in the blank with lots of opinions from this forum) your budget can afford/justify.  If somewhere after 2-3 years you are still spending a lot of time with electronics you can start researching bench DMMs - they have a lot merit but early on it will probably make more sense to spread the budget across other things.  An exception to this might be if you start talking yourself into a Fluke 87V and an Aneng 8008, maybe you could make a case for a Siglent bench DMM and an 8008; might depend on if you are ever going to do high voltage work away from your bench (in which case the 87V would be the better choice than a bench DMM).  These are suggestions based on new test equipment, for used there many other possibilities.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 04:55:43 am »
I spent my first 30 years of electronics "career" with just two analog multi-meters.  That's all I needed to do what I wanted to do.  Accuracy and precision weren't necessary.  I judged voltage by how fast needles moved.  You can even test capacitors this way.  I sometimes didn't wait until needle settled down.

Today, I have multiple hand-held meters, and quite a few bench meters, best one being calibrated 6 1/2.  I will admit, I don't use the bench top ones much.  But there are times they are necessary.  Today, I mostly use 3 1/2 digital hand held meters.  It became my go-to and standard.

It's all depends on what you do.  What you need.  (and your budget)  Good to have options.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 10:53:46 am »
For me: speed, speed, speed. After getting used to my Keithley 2015, a typical handheld meter’s 3-5 updates per second seem positively glacial.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 08:50:17 pm »
Benchtop DMM's can have much higher sample rates. Handheld usually crops out below 10 samples/s while bencthop can have many thousands samples/s which can be useful for logging and especially for automated test systems.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 08:54:28 pm »
If you have a bench DMM on a shelf above your DUT you just plug your two leads in and look up when you want to see the measurement. Also, bench DMMs have features like 4 wire measurements and are usually way cheaper than handhelds (a 6.5 digit bench DMM will set you back 200 bucks while a handheld 6.5 digit easily costs over 800 bucks).

Interesting. Really 6.5 digit units for just 200 bucks? Would buy right away  :o

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 06:33:57 am »
Tall task, but here is a 6 1/2 Keithley (HiRes mode) for 280$ or make offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEITHLEY-193A-SYSTEM-DIGITAL-MULTIMETER/192872252386?epid=1524605698&hash=item2ce81503e2:g:FsQAAOSwYv5fBMcz

Close enough?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:48:16 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:58:51 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 07:33:43 am »

Interesting. Really 6.5 digit units for just 200 bucks? Would buy right away  :o

I've seen quite a few 34970As for sale for 200-250€, sometimes even with a 34901 multiplexer card, so yes, you can indeed get really great 6.5s in this price range. I could be wrong and just happen to stumble across multiple guys who where to lazy to check what their "Data Acquisition System" really was, but since those units didn't have Option 001 (removed DMM card) it seems that you can get a 6.5digit datalogger (that thing is a lot better than a normal DMM, source: already have one) incredibly cheap...

(Btw: DO NOT buy all the cheap 34970As, i still want another one for myself ;) )

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »
Interesting, thanks for pointing to the right direction. But I may need some spare money now to repair my shipping damaged CMU200.  :-BROKE

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf