Author Topic: Worth it to use linux?  (Read 66766 times)

Offline VelizTopic starter

• Contributor
Worth it to use linux?
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:40:43 am »
Been using linux for few years, but it seems like everything runs around Windows... Every(Most? 90%) EE software its made for windows, at my school every professor, software its Windows, most companies use windows.... So is there a reason to keep using linux as an EE student?? focused in Programming and Electronics

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Worth it to use linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:09:09 am »
It is good to be familiar with both Windows and Linux. If you have access to MACs, know how to use OS/X as well.

Windows dominates for workstations, and Linux is hard to beat for servers. Some companies and industries love Apple  MACs. For many areas of programming, Linux is great compared to Windows. It is not hard to be familiar enough with the different platforms that you can tell a potential employer you can use the different systems if required.

Most of the time, you are using an application on a computer, and once you have got the application running, it hardly matters if it is on Windows, Linux or OS/X.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:13:23 am by amspire »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:45 am »
one side you have to deal with virus, BSOD, etc, and on the other side have to deal with drivers and software incompatibility, etc

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:33:25 am »
Personally, I use Linux (Debian) almost exclusively. Have done ever since I built this computer about 2.5 years ago. Prior to that, I had an old Dell PC which I used with Windows 2000.

I find a lot of stuff can be done on Linux. But unfortunately, quite a bit of CAD stuff in Windows only.

I do have a partition with WinXP on it which I can use if needs be, but I also have WinXP running in Virtual Box which I use quite a lot for running Multisim. I also have MS Office 2000 installed to view my old Office documents. Although I tend to use OpenOffice.org these days, its rendering of MS Office documents still isn't perfect.

I can highly recommend that you use Linux, but there's no need to be limited to only one OS.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:20 am »
one side you have to deal with virus, BSOD, etc, and on the other side have to deal with drivers and software incompatibility, etc
All platforms are vulnerable to attacks, and Microsoft probably is currently well ahead of Linux and OS/X in terms of securing its operating systems - largely due to the fact that they have been the main target. It is not as if Linux or OS/X is in any way "more secure".

If you are talking about a platform that you need to know well enough to program in, then yes, it is easier learning one platform and you will have a bigger market if you use Windows. But then again, more and more programming is becoming platform independent through the use of scripting languages, Java, and web interfaces rather then application interfaces. If you start making hardware that uses Ethernet or WiFi rather then USB, and you use something like Python as the programming language, you can potentially run an application to communicate with the hardware that can be ported to all platforms with relatively little effort.

What sort of programming do you like to do?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:40:14 am by amspire »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:41:19 am »
I've been using Linux since is was first available and for the last 15 years or so of my working life, it's been what I've supported.
I run it at home as well but there are some things that I have to have windows for so run them in virtual machines.
I agree that some more obscure/old/expensive hardware is not well supported in Linux but it is constantly improving in that area as manufacturers start taking Linux seriously.

Security/viruses is worth a thread of it's own.  :)

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:19:28 am »
One issues I have with Linux is printing. That can be hopeless compared to Windows/MacOS. But it does work, which is something.

Can't say I've ever cared too much about security. Sure, it can be a problem, but I think some people get far too paranoid about it. But how paranoid you get ought to depend on the application of the computer.

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:38:00 am »
Wow seriously? I haven't really used Windows since Clinton was president, but one of the things I remember most was how much it SUCKED trying to install printer drivers (well, and most drivers).

I have Windows7 and am about to install server 2008 for classes I am taking, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. When I first installed Windows7 I was like "well, that looks kinda nice and I can use this VM to watch movies on Netflix" so I started trying to make it "usable." Took me about a half hour to be reminded what a hell that environment - every damn thing I want to do I have to go find drivers, install dlls and codecs and desktop apps...

Just use terminal server to install apps in linux running in a windows vm. It's more robust than running wine and it's even better integrated. If you're comfortable in linux why on earth would you want to give up that desktop? I recently worked for Intuit, where they use Windows on all the desktops, and every day reminded me just how unproductive and repetitious that environment could be. Drag.. drop...drag...drop. Crap. Give me a bash shell!

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:26 am »
I put Linux on a PC with a view to gradually transitioning to it from Windows.

The plan became somewhat derailed after I installed Ubuntu.

I figured the Linux PC would be my secondary use machine and I'd still use Windows most of the time.

Well, almost immediately I found I was using the Linux machine for virtually *everything* -- except my video editing and PCB layouts.

The Linux package just seems to work so damned well that it's now very much my primary OS -- and I haven't had to spend a single penny on third-party software -- everything I'm using is OSS.

What's more (touch wood) no malware, no need to reboot every few weeks to regain lost performance and the stability of the applications is legendary.

And of course with SBCs like the Raspberry Pi coming along, having some basic Linux skills (especially at a command-shell level) is even more valuable than ever.

So yes, it *is* worth it to use Linux -- although Windows still has a place -- just a much smaller and less secure one :-)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:17:51 am »
Well ... 1) Linux is fast. That cannot be challenged by or even matched by windows or that crappy OS/X
2) woohoo! Open source!

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:20:51 am »
LOL. No wonder you don't think linux is easy... Redhat Package Manager is the reason linux sucks! Try a Debian distro and see how easy things can be.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:10 am »
I seriously tried to do linux and got endlessly frustrated. I spent 3 months on just linux before giving up due to stuff not working. Ubuntu and any derivate have horrendously poor performance (might as well use vista) but the general problem seems to be that there are so many variants that you will never get full support for all and every one has a nigling problem that stops you using it. I often find the linux community up their own asses, it's as though your a lesser being if you can't use the bash shell or what ever it's called and know all of the commands by heart. Simply put linux is largely by computer geeks for computer geeks.

My present challenge is to learn C and to program micro controllers with it. I did not put troubleshooting  linux when windows just works for me on my list of challenges.

The following users thanked this post: Cody Turner OKC

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »
LOL. No wonder you don't think linux is easy... Redhat Package Manager is the reason linux sucks! Try a Debian distro and see how easy things can be.

Yes, it's so easy when by default the system starts services with default configs without even asking you!

Welcome to the war.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:07:51 pm »
I seriously tried to do linux and got endlessly frustrated.
Having that issue now with my touchpad :)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:19:30 pm »
I am using GNU/Linux OS exclusively for 10+ years. As an EE student the times I really had to use Windows OS was limited (mostly for presentations on university's computers without GNU/Linux).  I was using the lab computers for Windows tasks.

P.S.  If you are new to GNU/Linux, please don't use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-like distros. Use Slackware, Debian, ArchLinux e.t.c. You will immediately learn what GNU/Linux really is.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

P.S.  If you are new to GNU/Linux, please don't use Ubuntu or Ubuntu-like distros. Use Slackware, Debian, ArchLinux e.t.c. You will immediately learn what GNU/Linux really is.

Alexander.

I think a lot of people don't want to know what's happing under the hood as it were, they just want to install Linux and have it run their software. Ubuntu is very good for that.

I mostly use Centos as my job was supporting servers not desktops. When I started with UNIX over 30 years ago, no such luxuries as GUI or software installers. You always had to compile the source code and work it out yourself.
This is probably why I never took to Windows, I like to know how it all works behind the scenes.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »
I design the shipboard software for the Canadain military's frigates; all of our work is done on Linux, since we need to bundle the OS in with our own software, and it would be too expensive to purchase Windows licenses for each machine that needs to run our software. That being said, Linux runs Java applications just as well as Windows does, and if you know the system, then you have greater control over debugging, since you can see how the OS is responding to individual commands.

Thsat being said, if you are looking for an OS for your desktop at home, and want a black box of an OS that does everything you need, easily, Windows is the way to go. Windows 7 is MORE secure than linux, and more reliable. It has most of the features of Linux, and MANY features that aren't in Linux. No OS is perfect, but Windows simply has greater application compatability and makes better use of drivers than Linux does.

I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 if that matters to anyone. 

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

Alexander.

I think a lot of people don't want to know what's happing under the hood as it were, they just want to install Linux and have it run their software. Ubuntu is very good for that.

They should stick with Windows then. There is no point for using GNU/Linux.  It's like saying I want to just enter a car and go from place A to place B. It is not possible. You will have to learn how to drive the car and the rules of driving among others. If you are not willing to, just use a taxi. It will get you from A to B.

Old but relevant.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:40 pm »
The other downside to Linux is hardware support. Drivers are not as readily available. This will determine whether or not you can totally abandon Windows.

But if a hardware is supported it's supported for a very long time. The problem with new Windows versions is that drivers change and you can't use some old hardware anymore because the vendor of the hardware doesn't provide a driver for the latest Windows. They want you to buy a new model to keep the share holders happy :-) Saw that a lot for scanners when upgrading from XP to Win7.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:41 pm »

I've installed Ubuntu on my parents PC. Since they're used to OpenOffice it was a minor transistion. They had to decide between Win7 (old OS was Win2000) plus a new PC or going for Linux. Two happy Linux users more :-)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »
But if a hardware is supported it's supported for a very long time.
i dont want to use my grandfather's 300dpi printer that is supported on Linux ver1 this day, i have 1200dpi one today. and i dont buy random brand and type of printer off the street just to meet driver supportability in Linux :P

The problem with new Windows versions is that drivers change and you can't use some old hardware anymore because the vendor of the hardware doesn't provide a driver for the latest Windows.
the real killer is not that (you can keep your older OS as long as you like). but the "PC hardware" (new motherboard, faster CPU, bigger RAM) that cannot run/install Windows ver 1 (or XP) anymore. i upgraded to XP due to new USB protocol, and i stick with it due to retain drivers support of existing peripherals. i will continue that way even someone threat me with death, unless my current PC hardware is damaged and i have to buy new PC that cannot support XP anymore in it >:( thats the real nightmare!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »
Linux is a good way to use old hardware.
I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad that Windows 7 does not like. It will install but most of the peripherals (video, soundcard, wireless, touch pad) are not supported. All work just fine under Linux so the machine had a stay of execution.

The batteries are not holding charge for very long so I expect to scrap it soon.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 02:05:30 pm »
But if a hardware is supported it's supported for a very long time.
i dont want to use my grandfather's 300dpi printer that is supported on Linux ver1 this day, i have 1200dpi one today. and i dont buy random brand and type of printer off the street just to meet driver supportability in Linux :P

How is it random if it's selected in order to work?

Despite what people will claim, most hardware works fine in Linux these days.

The problem with new Windows versions is that drivers change and you can't use some old hardware anymore because the vendor of the hardware doesn't provide a driver for the latest Windows.
the real killer is not that (you can keep your older OS as long as you like). but the "PC hardware" (new motherboard, faster CPU, bigger RAM) that cannot run/install Windows ver 1 (or XP) anymore. i upgraded to XP due to new USB protocol, and i stick with it due to retain drivers support of existing peripherals. i will continue that way even someone threat me with death, unless my current PC hardware is damaged and i have to buy new PC that cannot support XP anymore in it >:( thats the real nightmare!

Change. It's scary. ::)

Offline joseph.anand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »
Windows 7 is MORE secure than linux, and more reliable.
If Windows 7 was really more secure than Linux, it would have been running far more webservers than Linux. The only thing Windows 7 is more secure than is probably windows xp.

It has most of the features of Linux, and MANY features that aren't in Linux.
USB Audio 2.0 support for one is not something Windows 7 has.

No OS is perfect, but Windows simply has greater application compatability
It is not that Windows has greater application compatibility. It is that there are more number of commercial applications for Windows. And yet many businesses do not want to upgrade from Windows XP because of compatibility issues. Writing commercial apps for Linux is not financially viable for most people as the market  share of Linux desktop is small. The same holds for Android and Windows Phone. Far more apps on Android than on Windows Phone. 

and makes better use of drivers than Linux does.
Linux distros come with more drivers than Windows 7. Getting bluetooth dongles to work on Windows can be quite a hazzle especially if you are unable to trace the driver disk.
How many times did you have to install motherboard drivers for Linux. I never did.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »
The only problem I have found with Linux is wireless cards finding drivers for them can be very hard if not impossible also scanners, the printers work but not scanners, so the only time I use Linux these days is when I have a problem computer I run Linux on a live CD very often just running the live cd makes the computer decide to work with Windows.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf