Author Topic: Yet another beginners soldering iron topic  (Read 850 times)

Offline eevdudeTopic starter

• Contributor
Yet another beginners soldering iron topic
« on: November 20, 2020, 10:16:32 am »
Hey guys - i've seen the other posts about soldering irons and problems and i have to say i have found the same. I used to solder at college and home many many years ago, with pretty basic kit, but the soldering irons and solder of old were pretty good to whats available these days.

I didn't want to spend too much, but get useable equipment - so i did some research, and eventually went with a recommendation of a Saike 220V 909D+ by a popular drone builder youtuber. I ordered one for £70 with a load of rubbish tools and solder/flux that i will never use, and what turned up was a HANDSKIT branded device, which when i asked the seller they said it was the same thing (and when i checked back on youtube theirs also had that branding) - weird.

It's not great. The temperatures are way out, you have to be +50 higher than you really should be, and the range of temperature depending on your ambient temperature is terrible. The air gun? has been useful a couple of times, but i really should have bought a separate air soldering iron.

So then after doing a lot of research i was stuck between getting a ksger T12 for £30 or a T80 for £70. I went with the ksger and some tips after reading about the hold-ability for longer periods of the T80. The ksger is a lot better, temperatures are better, but the tips are terrible, going black after one use, only having one small part of the tip producing heat.

I totally understand with people posting why i can't solder at the temperatures some of the pros tell you too. I think my set is okish now, i'm not sure i'd spend >£100 on the big brand soldering irons, because their seems to be issues with new versions of those, until you go upto pro levels.

Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts for other people looking to purchase a setup, any comments/thoughts would be great from other owners of reasonable priced equipment

D

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Yet another beginners soldering iron topic
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
All those cheapo combined stations are about the same. You can fight the seller on that, of course, but what you will get with the other one would likely be very similar.

Temperature indication accuracy does not matter that much. Just adjust the temperature until solder comfortably melts, but the flux does not burn instantly.

Ksger T12 is an excellent soldering iron for the price.
Alex

Offline uli12us

• Contributor
Re: Yet another beginners soldering iron topic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:58:41 pm »
And try to get a leaded solder wire instead of that leadfree crap, you often get with some DIY-Sets.
Maybe its not so good for the tips, but these tips are really cheap (4-5$) and the one, you get with the iron at buy
is nearly unuseable. Better use a horseshoe or a chisel shaped type, the Knife Type is also good for some works,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf