Poll

How long until we shut off the power.

< 5 sec?
0 (0%)
idk
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Zynq Xilinx overheating  (Read 1181 times)

Offline AjaySTopic starter

Zynq Xilinx overheating
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:13:04 pm »
I was working with a Zynq Xilinx FPGA running at 3.3V. For some reason, I did not realized that my power supply was shorted and I stopped getting the output. I tried checking by taping my finger on the FPGA and it nearly burnt my finger. I have no idea why it was too hot. I immediately turned the main power supply off. I am still figuring out why it was shorted but is the FPGA ok? I did no see any smoke coming out from it. Once I figured out the short with the power, I will plug the power back in. Also, how long do we have (if something is heating up) to turn the power off and the chip is still safe?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Zynq Xilinx overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »
Also, how long do we have (if something is heating up) to turn the power off and the chip is still safe?
There is no predetermined time. If something goes wrong, chips may be bust in milliseconds or survive for hours.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »
Not an FPGA, but I recently had an LM386 survive quite a bit of trying to find where the output was shorting to ground. Like wraper says, it might blow instantly or survive for hours.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:52:02 pm »
Getting hot is not a good sign, but you might be lucky.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 05:25:57 pm »
I was working with a Zynq Xilinx FPGA running at 3.3V. For some reason, I did not realized that my power supply was shorted and I stopped getting the output. I tried checking by taping my finger on the FPGA and it nearly burnt my finger. I have no idea why it was too hot.

Do you not think the two issues are very likely related?  Something has probably killed the Zynq which then started drawing a very high current from your supply.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:46:23 pm »
I hope that 3.3V was only applied to the HR IO pins... 3.3V on the core or PS supply lines is an expensive mistake in a time measured in factions of a millisecond.

Regards, Dan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf