EEVblog® Electronics Community Forum

EEVblog => EEVblog Specific => Topic started by: EEVblog on August 05, 2026, 10:24:00 pm

Title: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: EEVblog on August 05, 2026, 10:24:00 pm
I guess I have 1 million subscribers now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyxl0KZysRA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyxl0KZysRA)
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: darkspr1te on August 05, 2026, 10:39:10 pm
Congrats Dave, you been a solid for me providing education and a forum to talk. 
You will know me from live streams as colingale aka the one who went ape over the 150 in one kit, my first love.
p.s why dont you make a eevblog first electronics kit using the original card and spring method?
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: Unixon on August 05, 2026, 11:38:22 pm
I'm subscribed from at least two accounts, so I hope this doesn't change the calculation. :-DD
Congratulations, Dave, you deserve a lot more for your work than just a golden play button.  :-+

Retiring is probably inevitable... eventually..., but I really hope it's not that soon.
If all it is about doing stuff for income of for fun, I'd love you do 1000x things for fun but income has to come from somewhere too...
Same problems here  :palm:

I'm a little bit younger, but I'm also getting a bit tired, not a for any particular reason, just because some wonderful 17+ years have passed by, yeah.
Well... I still keep my hopes and dreams of making some crazy ideas come true.

Letting go is hard, you know...

Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: coromonadalix on August 06, 2026, 12:15:17 am
love your "dumpster finds"  :-+
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: golden_labels on August 06, 2026, 11:22:36 am
Once more, good job! 👏

Not only the video channel, but also this forum — a gift to the community no smaller than all videos combined.

Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: iMo on August 06, 2026, 11:59:32 am
Quote
Can I retire now?

I think you already retired 17 years ago.
Since then, you've just been enjoying your favourite hobby full-time..  :)
 :-+
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: Ismo on August 06, 2026, 12:41:48 pm
Dave,
Thank you for all the years — the honesty, the grit, the curiosity you never let fade.
You didn’t just make videos; you built a place where people like us could learn, argue, laugh, and stay inspired.
Your consistency, your craft, your dedication… it mattered.
It still does.
Grateful for every year you chose to keep going.
You earned this moment.
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: richnormand on August 06, 2026, 03:01:24 pm
Congrats. Carry on!

"Can I Retire Now?"
No! perish the though.....

Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: MisterHeadache on August 06, 2026, 03:47:30 pm
Congratulations, Dave - well earned!  Getting 1MM subscribers is easy if you debase yourself and shovel truckloads of mind-rotting stupidity.  Getting 1MM by providing genuinely useful and well developed content while improving the overall intelligence level of humanity is in a class by itself.
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: pdenisowski on August 07, 2026, 01:00:45 am

I have watched, quite literally, every single one of your videos and still go back and rewatch some of them when I need a "refresher" on a certain topic.  And in many cases, your video was the ONLY video on YouTube that presented a given topic in a way that was clear, authentic, and practical.

So please don't retire before I do!  :)
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: Exosia on August 07, 2026, 10:29:09 pm
I've been watching since the first Rigol DS1052e video. Since then, Australia hasn't seemed like such an obscure, distant place anymore.
Thank you for your excellent work.

Can you retire? If you want to, but for God's sake keep the forum alive :P :D
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: Brumby on August 08, 2026, 06:49:49 am
Congratulations Dave!!  It's been a journey - of interest and education.  I - and I'm sure a great many others - are hoping that journey will continue for some time yet.

Just for interest ... Here's what caught my eye and hooked me... (You were kind enough to point to the actual unit in this screen grab:)
(https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1764-can-i-retire-now/?action=dlattach;attach=2870734;image)

Here's why (From my bench)
(https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1764-can-i-retire-now/?action=dlattach;attach=2870730;image)

I am still tempted to stop by Altronics and get you that missing knob!!


Retire?  Nah - you're having too much fun (every now and then)
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: RoGeorge on August 08, 2026, 07:17:14 am
1 000 000 !!!  :-+
Congrats, but no, you can not retire now.

Not until you fix the forum inline math that doesn't work any more as it used to work before.  ;D
Nominal Animal has some hints about how to fix it:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/inline-latex-math-notation-is-no-longer-being-rendered-as-it-used-to-be/msg6329296/#msg6329296 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/inline-latex-math-notation-is-no-longer-being-rendered-as-it-used-to-be/msg6329296/#msg6329296)

Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: RoGeorge on August 08, 2026, 08:33:13 am
Just so everybody knows, Dave fixed that math forum bug in minutes, thank you.

I hope you were joking about retiring.  That would be a pity, because you did great so far.  Brought newcomers into electronics, kept the interest alive for those already in, become famous, gather a nice EE community both on YouTube/social media, and here, on the forum, and so on.

You did a great job so far, thank you, congrats, and keep going!  :-+
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: pdenisowski on August 13, 2026, 09:05:39 am
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: EEVblog on August 13, 2026, 10:06:51 am
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD

If anyone believes they are genuine subscribers then I've got a bridge to sell you.

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/HPmCCI6asAAP6Eu?format=jpg&name=medium)
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: nctnico on August 15, 2026, 03:56:55 pm
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD

If anyone believes they are genuine subscribers then I've got a bridge to sell you.
I don't think you have to convince anyone those are genuine subscribers. Unless the channel has been hacked to host pron videos.
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: ballsystemlord on August 18, 2026, 11:46:35 pm
Dave , When I first saw this, "Can I Retire Now?" I almost hit thumbs down before watching it to indicate that "you cannot retire now."
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: John B on August 19, 2026, 05:31:23 am
Ultimately, that's a question for the tax office, and the tax office says no. Never.
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: EEVblog on August 19, 2026, 06:51:11 am
Ultimately, that's a question for the tax office, and the tax office says no. Never.

Someone asked me about 6 months ago that I must be close to retiring, using the 4% rule. Yeah, nah, I have a wife and two kids growing up in a totally rooted economy living in the 2nd most expensive city in the world.
I'll be reviewing multimeters in my rocking chair.
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: golden_labels on August 19, 2026, 09:34:49 am
Finances aside, it is good to have something interesting to do in the rocking chair.

Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: ballsystemlord on August 20, 2026, 01:25:21 am
Finances aside, it is good to have something interesting to do in the rocking chair.

Good point. So then we can expect him to be doing rocking chair based social commentary in the future then?  ;)
Title: Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
Post by: temperance on August 24, 2026, 03:40:46 pm
Quote
Good point. So then we can expect him to be doing rocking chair based social commentary in the future then?

Something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSDj7bjAv2s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSDj7bjAv2s)