Author Topic: [FS](UK): 2x HP 8922M + HP 83220E GSM test set (spectrum analyser, sig gen, etc)  (Read 1786 times)

Offline microbugTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
I rescued two HP8922M units and two HP 83220E units from the bin at work. For those who don't know, these are GSM test sets originally intended for testing mobile phones. The 8922M operates from 10MHz-1GHz, and the 83220E unit adds the range 1.90-1.99GHz and allows you to use the spectrum analyser option. These units are quite versatile and have an RF sig gen, audio sig gen, and oscilloscope (400kHz BW) built-in. Edit: see reply #1 regarding use as a spectrum analyser.

Both of the 8922M units power on and pass self test, although one of them says 'Frequency reference cal lost. Perform reference calibration.' Service manuals are available online and I believe calibrating the frequency reference is as simple as connecting an accurate 10MHz reference.

There are two self-test errors, one per unit, both in the audio path. One is preliminary audio path test 8 (AC coupled), and the other is audio analyser 1 internal path 4 (AC, gain=100, range det).

Otherwise, all the self tests I can run pass, including tests of the power supply, RF section, spectrum analyser and scope (and most of the the internal audio paths). I can't run external audio path self tests as I don't have the right cables, and I can't run the NSM and premod filter test for the same reason. The 83220Es are untested because I don't have the 15-pin D sub cable needed (can be found online though).

They both passed the quick functional test (GSM_DIAG).

I can't test further because they both have option 010, which means the SYS_CAL test requires the 83220E unit to be connected. I don't have the 15-pin D sub cable to do this, although they are available online.

I would not expect these units to have any major faults, or they would have been labelled as such. My work is doing a big clear out of old equipment at the moment, and these are considered 'too old to keep'. That said, I can't guarantee that they work past the self tests run above.

One unit has options 001, 006, 010, and H50 (can't find any info on this one?). The other has options 001, 006, and 010.

Various pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eZzTcqCUVb8fxuhk7.

I'm suggesting a price of £150 per 8922M/83220E pair, or £250 for the lot. The 8922M is 35kg so I think it has to be collection only, I live in CB22. I would be willing to deliver within ~50 miles for a fee.

Edit: I should add that I have no cables at all to sell with these units. I think you need a 15-pin D sub male-male cable and some short good quality BNC-BNC cables to connect the 83220E to the 8922M, and possibly an SMA to BNC adapter -- nothing too crazy. Pictures of ports are in the link above.

Let me know if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:33:46 pm by microbug »

Online jogri

• Frequent Contributor
I had a pair of those a while ago, you can easily make the necessary cables but you have to be aware that they are definitely not spectrum analyzers, their max span is limited to a few MHz, making it practically useless.
Maybe good as signal generators and RF power analyzers, but that's about it. The 83220E set also only really "extends" the range as in "it adds the frequency range from 1.9 to 2.0 GHz", it won't do anything between 1.0 and 1.9 GHz iirc.

I butchered mine, they are an excellent source of 4+ GHz rated relays and attenuators, a high stability 10 MHz oscillator and more SMA/B/C to BNC cables than you'd ever need.

The following users thanked this post: microbug, Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Price reduced from £200 to £150 each

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Price reduced to £75 each (£75 per 8922M/83220E pair).

Offline Robert999

Witam ,mam pytanie ile by kosztowała wysyłka do Polski ?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
Witam ,mam pytanie ile by kosztowała wysyłka do Polski ?

Sorry this is collection only. Each pair of units is >40kg so shipping would be very expensive.

Price reduced to £50 per 8922M/83220E pair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf