Author Topic: [SOLD!] in EU, Agilent 53181A frequency counter, in good condition 270 EURO  (Read 1300 times)

Offline pizzigriTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm selling a spare that I cannot afford to have anymore: an Agilent 53181A "plain vanilla" frequency counter, in excellent condition.
It passes all tests, and has firmware rev. 3944. Works perfectly as far as I can tell and as much as i used it.
The VFD is roughly at 70-75% brightness, see photo compared with my primary (and, maybe, soon only...) frequency counter, a HP 53131A in almost pristine condition.
The two counters are connected to a modified Sigma VDA-26 as 10 Mhz distribution, with a BG7TBL GPSDO as source, and both counters are running on their internal timebases.

The 53181A has the standard oscillator - there is fellow forum user RoadRunner here that sells a high stability timebase if you need it - but I'd just go and use it with a house GPSDO 10Mhz ref anyway.

I aligned recently, after keeping it on for an hour (wow, that little screw is really jittery... as Dave said the angle of the tongue is critical), so it is more or less calibrated for as much as the abysmal original oscillator can be. Such a great counter and horrible basic timebase. Bah.
Specs are of course the same as its big bro the 53131A, but of course you know all that.

Very clean outside and inside, no melted rubber foot inside, replaced and brand new low noise fan, clean BNC connectors.

Cosmetically, it looks great, with very little use marks (a couple tiny little scratch on the front lens and some use marks on the body), and a repaired rear frame. I tried to show the scratch on the lens, it is really almost unnoticeable - and outside of the VFD display field.

Asking 350 299 270Euro, plus actual shipping. That's LOTS less than I paid for it, but it really needs to GO.
located in Rome, Italy.

I am trying to concentrate on gear I actually use, and business due to COVID has dwindled (I am self employed and electronics is only a night time hobby), so need to sell all redundant stuff, to be able to purchase, in order, a Rigol DG811, and a Siglent SDS2104X Plus - both to hack... will also post a "wanted" post for both once I got the money for them.

SOLD To M. thank you very much!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:23:14 pm by pizzigri »

• Regular Contributor
OK, need this to go as well.
I need funds for the Siglent 2000X Plus as I really need to upgrade the small SDS1202X-E I have.
I lowered the price to 299 Euro (yeah i know - its still 300 but is seems lower  ;D )

If you need additional pics or even video (via watsap) of the operation just PM me.

Franco

• Regular Contributor
So, I got a request in asking "how much the VFD is REALLY dim? Is it actually useable?"
Here's a picture of the meter under one of my LED spotlights i use, it's a standard Ikea LED lamp and makes a decent amount of light. Less than 20cm away from the lightsource, the VFD is perfectly readable - the missing digits are due to the slow refresh rate of these VFD, every one of my HP/Agilent meters do that on camera if there's lots of light... the shutter in the camera (my Iphone) is so fast it catches the refresh rate. Yes it is dimmer than a a new VFD, but still has many years of use in it!
I cant' figure out how to insert a picture in a PM? Is it even possible or is it disabled somehow?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:02:21 am by pizzigri »

• Regular Contributor
Re: [FS] in EU, Agilent 53181A frequency counter, in good condition 270 EURO
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:43:39 pm »
Hi everyone,

so I lowered again the price. Now it's 270 Euro, and it's priced lower than some "for parts" units floating around on Ebay. I am not going to lower it again... come on!  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf