Author Topic: [US] WTB: Tektronix 124X (Or similar) Logic Analyzer  (Read 845 times)

Offline Matt HatterTopic starter

• Contributor
[US] WTB: Tektronix 124X (Or similar) Logic Analyzer
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:17:58 pm »
My most recent project has revealed my need for a logic analyzer... My needs and budget are modest, hence why I'm looking towards vintage options.
Strongly prefer the probes to be included, and I really need to keep the budget around $150 or so.

Thanks!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: [US] WTB: Tektronix 124X (Or similar) Logic Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:32:20 am »
What is your approximate location? Old boatanchor logic analyzers are dirt cheap, I paid $25 for my HP but shipping can easily be more than the instrument is worth. Also the probes are typically more valuable than the unit too as they often end up in the bin when a defunct company is being liquidated. This means there are a lot more logic analyzers around than probe assemblies.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 12:43:30 am »
I am located in Tennessee. And yes, that I what I have noticed. I was only able to find one probe set (the 9 lead variant) for the 124X, and it was $70 (New in box, however).
I also noticed that some of the old HP's (1630A) seemed to have integrated probes or some such, so all the ones I found still had their probes minus the pigtails.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:45:50 am »
The "pigtails" are the probes, the part that is usually there is just the ribbon cables and only because those have screws holding the connectors on and are usually left attached to the machines.

The following users thanked this post: Matt Hatter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:45 am »
The "pigtails" are the probes, the part that is usually there is just the ribbon cables and only because those have screws holding the connectors on and are usually left attached to the machines.

Oh? That is a shame. I suppose I assumed these bits were the probes.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 12:54:20 am »
Those are part of it, that looks like an older unit than the one I have, mine has ribbon cables that come off the back of the unit and the pods are smaller and each just breaks out the connector on the end of the ribbon cable to individual wires that terminate with grabbers. Whatever the case you need to have the whole set of stuff for it to be much use.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:06:41 am »
Ah I see. The breadth of my knowledge is pretty self evident haha. I quite appreciate the heads up!

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 02:19:35 am »
I am a fan of vintage logic analyzers too, but they are too bulky, heavy and noisy.

How many channels do you need?  Unless you are working with vintage logic and microprocessors, it makes more sense to get a modern USB logic analyzer for around $20-$50 and use pulseview / sigrok

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 02:41:36 pm »
I suppose I assumed these bits were the probes.

Pretty sure those bits are the important parts. The actual 'probes', as I recall, are just wires with the normal hooks on the end.

Long time since I handled one, though, so could be mistaken.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 05:30:39 pm »
Matt: I have an HP 1631D I need to sell or give away.  It hasn't been used in years and is looking for a new home.

You can look up the detailed specs, but briefly it has 43 channels with 25MHz state/100MHz timing and 1k samples, plus two 50Mhz digital scope channels.  It has all the probe boxes and flying leads (pigtails) that plug into them, but no grabbers or scope probes.  It passes self-test, all inputs are working, and in pristine physical condition.

If you really prefer an older vintage LA over a more recent USB based one, you can have it for the cost of shipping (not going to be cheap) or for free if you want to pick it up in the Philadelphia, PA, area.

Note that the 1k sample memory is very small.  The unit has fairly sophisticated triggering and conditional capture to help make the best use of that memory, but you should consider your application with that limitation in mind before saying yes.

Please PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:34:24 pm by MarkL »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf