Author Topic: [USA] LeCroy waveRunner 64Xi-A-N BIN $1500 Ebay  (Read 2749 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
[USA] LeCroy waveRunner 64Xi-A-N BIN $1500 Ebay
« on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:09 am »
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: [USA] LeCroy waveRunner 64Xi-A-N BIN $1500 Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 05:13:16 pm »
 This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 06:35:38 pm »
Which means someone made an offer through a message when a bid wasn't placed and requested it, so it was bought for  less than BIN price.

I sort of wish ebay didn't do this, as it forces you to bid to prevent people from sniping it with an offer, but it seems to be relatively common.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 07:00:19 pm »
it forces you to bid to prevent people from sniping it with an offer

Horrors! Someone willing to pay more than you gets it - should be a law against that  ;D

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
however many bidders, if someone bid higher than you, you lose. if another guy click that BIN button, its gone. what so big deal? now go sneak those 20GSps scope i'm sure there's (or will) better deal somewhere...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 07:54:57 pm »
As a buyer I love making offers to find what someone really wants. I typically message them and they send me an offer much lower than buy it now or starting bid. Unless they allowed offers normally then I obviously go that route. Here on eevblog sales though I usually give people what they ask if I have a use for it.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »
My complaint is that there are options for offers on basically all of ebay's selling options, so trying to circumvent other style listings to make offers work doesn't feel above board to me.  I do know it's a way to make a nice purchase in some cases, but when you can add a "or best offer" setting to every listing type and the seller doesn't, I think especially when they have a buyout option, making an offer seems like an attempt to cut in line to me.

Sort of semantics, and it's probably more like buying from a local vendor this way, since there's usually a way to wheel and deal.  Anyways, even at $1500 it's probably a good scope for the price, I think someone got a nice deal.  And yes, if they do cancel it would show up like this too, but as mentioned it effects seller rating as it should.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:25:10 pm »
I sort of wish ebay didn't do this, as it forces you to bid to prevent people from sniping it with an offer, but it seems to be relatively common.
Who cares. Just be the first to make a sensible offer the buyer is willing to accept. The local second hand trading website in the NL also has a non-binding bidding option.  I never bid on an item; I always contact the seller and make a deal through e-mail. Sometimes the seller tries to make the price go higher by claiming he/she has a higher bid when I'm there to inspect/pick up the item. My simple response is: 'I'm here with cash in my pocket and this is the price I want to pay. Get rid of it now or take a chance with someone who might have bid on the item for fun.'. 9 out of 10 times I get the item for the price I want to pay.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:05 pm »
My complaint is that there are options for offers on basically all of ebay's selling options, so trying to circumvent other style listings to make offers work doesn't feel above board to me.  I do know it's a way to make a nice purchase in some cases, but when you can add a "or best offer" setting to every listing type and the seller doesn't, I think especially when they have a buyout option, making an offer seems like an attempt to cut in line to me.

Sort of semantics, and it's probably more like buying from a local vendor this way, since there's usually a way to wheel and deal.  Anyways, even at $1500 it's probably a good scope for the price, I think someone got a nice deal.  And yes, if they do cancel it would show up like this too, but as mentioned it effects seller rating as it should.

At least in my case the deal still goes through eBay. The sellers just send me the eBay offer and I accept and it shows up like it sold normally. I don't trust people on eBay enough to make a deal completely outside of the platform.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:44:47 pm »
Well it wasn't that anyways, by the description the guy just needs to sell it fast.

No affiliation, but if it's legit and working, it's real cheap now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscilloscope-LeCroy-waveRunner-64Xi-A-N-600MHz-read-description/392480467073

$950 + shipping

My point is that ebay has a whole slew of rules to make it act like an official auction and not like people just selling stuff to someone at a flea market or listing it in half a dozen places, and this system being easy goes against that.  It's inconsistent and misleading, and if people wanted offers to be an option, they can very easily, and at no extra cost, add that feature to their listing.  Allowing offers in auctions that that don't use the feature just means it doesn't mean anything as a feature.  Like I said, it's a niggle and not a big complaint, I get that plenty of people make offers on non-offer listings and that if you want to get a good price in a reasonable amount of time it is one of the better ways of doing it.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 11:27:40 pm »
No affiliation, but if it's legit and working, it's real cheap now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscilloscope-LeCroy-waveRunner-64Xi-A-N-600MHz-read-description/392480467073
$950 + shipping
he teased people to pay outside ebay? and i think its the paypal who holds the money (paypal protection) not ebay, so he also can give this as an excuse to buyer to pay in cash. i would not deal outside ebay/paypal in any way, better pay more in ebay (or paypal, they are the same protection) rather than losing cheaper price in the air ($950 is not cheap if getting nothing). if someone report him to ebay, i think ebay can take the ad down it goes against ebay rule to direct people buying outside their platform, iirc some listing before got removed due to providing external web link (personal store) in the listing description. but with recent "bidders' info got exposed to seller" issue, and then seller can send personal emails to buyers linking to their personal store defeat the purpose :-//

if that seller in real quick need for the money, he can accept ebay/paypal payment and then the money got hold up in a month, in the mean time he can borrow money from any local money lender just to be paid next month. he can add whatever interest percentage into the dso price and my guess its still cheap and anyone will grab it soon. but teasing people to deal outside ebay, will make potential but experienced members to go away. only waiting for young players as a prey. but its maybe possible to be legit, but its also fishy. he has no buyer feedback. i will only deal with this kind of deal if i have access to him (or COD).
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 12:35:12 am »
FWIW, it was my assumption that it was sold through an ebay message or another service and was taken down because of it, that isn't necessarily what happened - I'm not partial to the information, I just made an assumption based on previous experience.  Not trying to call the seller for shady dealings, though it's my opinion that including a story like that in the description does not make it seem more legit.

Offline thmjpr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 02:50:59 am »
he teased people to pay outside ebay? and i think its the paypal who holds the money (paypal protection) not ebay, so he also can give this as an excuse to buyer to pay in cash. i would not deal outside ebay/paypal in any way, better pay more in ebay (or paypal, they are the same protection) rather than losing cheaper price in the air ($950 is not cheap if getting nothing). if someone report him to ebay, i think ebay can take the ad down it goes against ebay rule to direct people buying outside their platform, iirc some listing before got removed due to providing external web link (personal store) in the listing description. but with recent "bidders' info got exposed to seller" issue, and then seller can send personal emails to buyers linking to their personal store defeat the purpose :-//

if that seller in real quick need for the money, he can accept ebay/paypal payment and then the money got hold up in a month, in the mean time he can borrow money from any local money lender just to be paid next month. he can add whatever interest percentage into the dso price and my guess its still cheap and anyone will grab it soon. but teasing people to deal outside ebay, will make potential but experienced members to go away. only waiting for young players as a prey. but its maybe possible to be legit, but its also fishy. he has no buyer feedback. i will only deal with this kind of deal if i have access to him (or COD).

Yeah no reason to buy this outside of ebay, if in ebay your almost certainly going to be safe (just document everything).
For my ebay sales they've held the money until item was delivered plus a few days. So he could offer next day shipment, and maybe if buyer left a quick positive review it would speed things up a bit?

No probes adds a bit to the suspiciousness.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 03:31:05 am »
No probes adds a bit to the suspiciousness.
probably the better probes bundled with it are used/recycled to the other scope. most used dso advertised with no probe, the unit that comes with them will not priced nicely. actually adding probes to that cheap price will add fishiness more..

The following users thanked this post: thmjpr

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 03:43:16 am »
FWIW, it was my assumption that it was sold through an ebay message or another service and was taken down because of it, that isn't necessarily what happened - I'm not partial to the information, I just made an assumption based on previous experience.  Not trying to call the seller for shady dealings, though it's my opinion that including a story like that in the description does not make it seem more legit.

That was how I scored my 87V for lower price. He had a 150$ initial, someone outbid me by 20$ on the 160$ mark, so 180$ and I offer the guy 200$ plus shipping. Lower that the other 10s of auctions and buy it now starting for 340$ min to 450$ new. It was higher than the lowest bit, seller was happy and I was happy because I paid less than the second lowest one being sold, in the same condition.tion based on previous experience.  Not trying to call the seller for shady dealings, though it's my opinion that including a story like that in the description does not make it seem more legit.

It's bad to other bidders, some sellers don't accept that, even ending a listing early if you offer them a deal, but others just want to get rid of the equipment. I don't care how they got it, it's not my problem. Although I take measures to know if the equipment was stolen if possible. I pick up the Fluke Serial No and confirm with Fluke and the equipment itself was never registered on a customer name, having been sold to a shop directly from Fluke for sale. So Manufacture to Distributor to Seller. The equipment is clean by Fluke Standards, and now registered in my name.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 10:16:41 am »

The guy double listed it. One as a auction style with BIN, the other just as BIN a number of hours later. The BIN was for $900, so I couldn't resist. I bought and paid for it.
Then the guy went nutso sending me messages: (there were more, but I won't bother posting them)

I will send this first thing tomorrow morning, can you please confirm that the service was delivered. You should be getting a paypal email asking if the service was rendered. All my cash is tied up in getting home to see my G-pa who just had his leg amputated and is not doing so hot. That's why I'm letting this go for so cheap. Last minute plane tickets are not cheap. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assure you that you new (actually used) O-scope is going to be on its way tomorrow morning.

And
Hey XXXXXXX is there anyway you can send me the money as a friend to friend? As of right now I can’t even send the package till Thursday. I’m set to start driving tomorrow afternoon. The only reason I’m selling this is to have emergency cash in hand make my trek to northern Nevada less risky. Getting stuck with no money and only a credit card doesn’t sound fun. I know it sounds sketchy but I’m really just trying to make it home. I don’t really wanna give up that beast of a scope. But gramps needs me right now. I’ll check for a response in half an hour.

Thanks,
Eric

My response: "I already paid. And if I hadn't, there's no way that's happening!"

EDIT: One more:
I refunded the money. Will you bypass eBay and send $950 to my paypal account. Don’t have to pay the eBay fees.

Airrick.hix@gmail.com

I’ll fed ex the scope this afternoon (open for 2 more hours) and send the tracking number to you immediately.

Let me know!
Thanks,
Eric

The little weasel canceled my purchase and relisted it with "I prefer paypal, friend to friend, as the ebay route holds the payment until it gets delivered, which is to late. Message me with questions and concerns. Could really use the help from other fellow Engineers, scientist, enthusiast and people who know what an O-scope is!!"

I reported him to Ebay as he was trying to circumvent paying through Ebay. Before they had a chance to take action it sold for $950.
I guess the next buyer has got the same shit from him as he's just re-listed it again!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392481484553?

Buyer beware!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:21:58 am by Jwalling »
Jay

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, thm_w

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 12:05:07 pm »
And another unfortunate soul takes the bait. I wonder how long till it's re-listed again? :popcorn:
Jay

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 01:32:27 pm »
a noob trying to learn social engineering there :-DD i'm sorry for his G-Pa though that he has to go in one way or another..

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
a noob trying to learn social engineering there :-DD i'm sorry for his G-Pa though that he has to go in one way or another..

Not so sure I believe his story.  :bullshit: He's supposed to "be on the road" by now...
Listed again!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392481792575?
Jay

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 03:39:30 pm »
It must suck being a scam artist and being that bad at it. Maybe we all need to repeatedly "buy" his offerings with dummy accounts.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »
It must suck being a scam artist and being that bad at it. Maybe we all need to repeatedly "buy" his offerings with dummy accounts.

I wonder if he knows that on canceled transactions, Paypal stopped refunding fees back in May 2019? :-DD
Jay

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 04:24:37 pm »
I wonder if he knows that on canceled transactions, Paypal stopped refunding fees back in May 2019? :-DD
I guess he'll find out if he doesn't.  ;D

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 04:27:22 pm »
I just noticed something on his original messages to me.

Last minute plane tickets are not cheap

Then

I’m set to start driving tomorrow afternoon. The only reason I’m selling this is to have emergency cash in hand make my trek to northern Nevada less risky.

Jeez, at least get your story straight!  :palm:
Jay

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 04:39:32 pm »
Maybe he needs to drive to the airport. Give the guy a break, his gramps is suffering.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:30 pm »
The last time one of my grandparents died their kids were there and they didn't really need anyone there to die anyway. I reported his listing I don't trust him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf