Author Topic: [WTB] GPS Simulator  (Read 1134 times)

Offline ChristopherNTopic starter

• Supporter
    • app22 UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
[WTB] GPS Simulator
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:34:24 pm »
Hi,

I have a project at the moment where we have trouble getting an GPS module to perform. This could be to bad antenna design, soldering problems or something else. Long story short, I'm looking to buy a GPS Simulator that can be used in the lab and for production test of the finished product (low volume).

I've seen Hack RF kits on ebay, those are too far from real equipment for my taste. There are lot of units from Spirent on ebay, those seem to be without software which seems to be hard to get.

Does anyone have something for sale or a good source?

Thanks

Christopher

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [WTB] GPS Simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 08:10:45 pm »
the spectracom simulators seem popular, in labs that can afford them... there seems to be one on ebay for about 10-11k right now...

The following users thanked this post: ChristopherN

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:38 pm »
Are you sure a GPS simulator is the best tool to sort this out?

There are many potential causes, but my first guess would be on-board interference. A GPS simulator won't help diagnose that, but a good spectrum analyser, or even the hackRf with an LNA± LBand filter and near field probe might.

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »
if you want to use precsion measurement, Spirent is the best way, spirent 4200 is the cheapest one, I have the sw, driver only work for WinXP. and you also can use Agilent E4438C (with GPS option);
if for function test, hack RF is OK.

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 11:51:35 pm »
Standalone GPS simulators only made sense when arbitrary sig gens were not capable of playing back continuous stream with 3-5MHz BW. 

The problem with old sims is that they are either single channel, single GNSS or just a few sats constellation capable.  They are difficult to set up and are really basic.

These days almost any SDR-like siggen (or tx-capable SDR) can do it and the only limit is your imagination and software coding skills.

I also badly needed one for production testing and, like you, unsuccessfully tried to buy an old dedicated sim - than someone recommended gps-sdr-sim.  I have used it as a test tool and never regretted not buying the "real thing."
You can do some stupid navigation scenarios if you want (like flying 200km above ASL, etc.)

If  you are really serious about getting the real thing or need traceable certification - ask you local R&S sales rep.

Leo

The following users thanked this post: ChristopherN, electrolust

Offline ChristopherNTopic starter

• Supporter
    • app22 UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 05:23:37 pm »
Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

@awallin
The spectracom seems nice, but is a bit out of my price range.

@hagster
You're right, a GPS simulator is just one way to approach the problem. I've also ordered a set of near field probes.

@testpoint1:
I might contact you via PM if thats ok and if the SDR route fails, thanks.

@Leo
Thanks for the tip, I have an old LimeSDR somewhere, I'll try that!

Thanks

Christopher

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:29:48 pm »
for the GPS receiver research, I ever try much more simulator and L1 generator, and also use our RF receiver (DRT4311B) to test its power and bandwidth etc. normal cheap SDR may exists more than 3 dB's tolerance compare its norminal.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 10:47:04 pm »
Here is one of the smarter dedicated / expensive ? GPS simulators : https://www.labsat.co.uk/index.php/en/

It can record and playback as well from multiple sat systems.

Offline MaxR

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »
Hi,
I would still recommend Spectracom GSG.
They have a cheap GSG-51, one channel - but easy to upgrade if needed. We have GSG-5 with opt 4 in our lab and it works great. We had a GSG - L1 in the past but they replaced it with GSG-51.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf