Author Topic: (No longer needed) Single Board Computer P4 PICMG PCI/ISA format.  (Read 523 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
I own an elderly Dolch Flex PAC P4 lunch box computer that needs a replacement Single Board Computer motherboard. I would be interested in anything that is standard PCI/ISA PICMG format that can support a Pentium 4 or better. On board video would be a bonus but not essential and I Have the required VGA to LVDS adapter board on order to drive the LCD panel.

This is a resurrection project rather than a restoration as the Flex PAC is in great condition apart from a dead SBC !

Fraser
UK
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:21:17 pm by Fraser »

Offline IconicPCB

• Frequent Contributor
Re: (WTB) Single Board Computer P4 PICMG PCI/ISA format.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »
Are you looking for any particular processor or just a PICMIG ( I or II ) compatible board?

I have a flying probe tester running a PICMIG box...

Machine was second hand when i got it runing pentium single board computer with a bunch of ISA board for motion and signal aquisition.
Decided to upgrade the PC to a gruntier processor and windows XP. Found a local supplier who handles industrial PCs and he could offer the upgrade path.

If You do decide to upgrade to a faster CPU... make sure the box has enough room to accommodate larger fan.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: (WTB) Single Board Computer P4 PICMG PCI/ISA format.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:20:05 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for your message.

Sadly I have decided to scrap the resurrection project as compatible PICMG type 1 SBC's are too expensive to make the project feasible. The Flex PAC P4 contains a 2.6GHz P4 with a nice large actively cooled heatsink.

The SBC is the early type with the standard ISA and PCI edge connectors, unlike more modern SBC's that have a very different edge connector the length of the card. I attach a library picture of the IB800S used in the Flex PAC.

As I say, this project has become non viable on the financial front. I am buying rugged laptops for less than £50 and was even gifted a pair for postage cost alone. In light of this my money would not be well spent on the Flex PAC.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:27:35 pm by Fraser »

Offline IconicPCB

• Frequent Contributor
Re: (No longer needed) Single Board Computer P4 PICMG PCI/ISA format.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 12:33:05 am »
At 50 pound You can't go wrong so long as the batteries have decent life left in them

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: (No longer needed) Single Board Computer P4 PICMG PCI/ISA format.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 02:02:09 am »
I purchased 8 Getac M230's that are in nice condition, and have good batteries, for around £20 each. They need hard disks and caddies but I recently solved that problem :)

I purchased four General Dynamics GD8000's for $20 each from the USA. Great condition and good batteries, just need hard disks, which I have. I also bought a brand new sealed box GD8000 but that cost a fair bit more than the used ones.

I have the Getac A770 that is as new, fresh out of its packaging for only £57 complete. Two more are coming to me for the cost of postage !

I have several other rugged laptops and a load of rugged tablets, all were very affordable prices and some were new in their boxes. All share the same problem though..... they are running older CPU's such as the Pentium M, Core2Duo or Atom. This is not a problem for me but it does make them cheap, which is great  :D

I need older laptops because they can run WinXP and have all the ports I need for my work with thermal cameras etc. The latest and greatest USB-C i7 road warrior laptops are of no use to me at all in my lab. I need RS232, Parallel port, PCMCIA, Expresscard, USB and Firewire  ;D

I do use a nice fast i5 cored HP Elitebook for my everyday work though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:03:58 am by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf