Author Topic: pcb resistors  (Read 3064 times)

Online trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
pcb resistors
« on: July 13, 2012, 08:49:17 am »
Hi, as any one used a pcb track as a current sense resistor? I found a current sensor ic that recommended a track pattern that gave 150mOhm resistance with 5% tolerance. I believe the tolerance was for manufacturing rather than temperature changes.

I was wondering if such 'pcb resistors' remain within tolerance w.r.t. temperature?

Thanks

Trev

Offline PChi

• Frequent Contributor
Re: pcb resistors
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:06 am »
I have worked on product that used tinned copper wire not the PC track. It's a cheap idea. The temperature coefficient of change of resistance with temperature for copper is high. The data that I have is alpha = 0.00428 which I think means that it changes by 0.4% / degree. Also over load trashes the track hence the PCB.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:56:32 am »
You can also get hall effect current IC's where you have a PCB trace running under the chip and the sensor inside picks up the current through the IC package. I don't think the track width matters much with those.

It's not very accurate though.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:58:30 am »
Hi

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound the best idea really. Maybe for detecting some current it would be okay.

Trev

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:11:20 am »
Yeah, it's no good if you need accuracy. 
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:14:33 pm »
Track resistors can be useful for things like current sharing resistors but they aren't very good for measurement shunts unless you really don't care about accuracy.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:45:53 am »
I agree, it's no good for accuracy but the question is why are you measuring the current in the first place?

Is it for overload protection? If so, a PCB trace may be ideal, as copper has a positive temperature coefficient so the reading will increase with the temperature, which might be good if the sense trace is near the device being protected.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf