Author Topic: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty  (Read 17665 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 11:05:32 am »
Usual:

Option one:

1. Fill in registration form in / get sent activation email.
2. Send you a one time link via email.
3. Click that
4. Enter your password.

Option two:

1. Fill in registration form with password.
2. Job done.

Sending you the password in plain text is NEVER acceptable.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »
The one-time link via email is the same as sending the password. The first thing you do on first login is change it.

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 11:57:43 am »
No it's not.  If they are sending you your password in plain text, it means that they are storing your password somewhere in plain text. They shouldn't ever be able to know what your password is.

Explained here:

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 03:41:05 pm »
it means that they are storing your password somewhere in plain text

Not necessarily :)

They could make up a password, paste it into your email, paste it into their database as a new password (fully encrypted, salted, hashed and grilled), and the only plain-text copy is in the email.

To be clear, that video is of an existing password. We are talking about a non-existent new password being created. Completely different things.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:44:16 pm by dunkemhigh »

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 11:57:20 am »
It seems that the items have been updated with starting prices.  I don't see any takers yet... all zero bids so far.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 12:25:45 pm »
The bidding is not open yet, from what I can see. It starts tomorrow morning.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 10:06:21 am »
The auction is open, I have an email saying I'm approved to bid, the equipnet FAQ states "You can make an offer by logging in and clicking the green Make an Offer button on the equipment’s listing page and following the instructions.".  I can't see any green button.

Any suggestions?

(I've contacted equipnet, too soon for a reply, but I'm pessimistic about getting a reply)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 10:10:28 am »
I am tempted to bid but there are no instructions regarding collection and or shipping. Specifically it does not state that collection is possible. I am a bit loath to enter into a contract where some of the contract conditions are missing?

Online pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2019, 12:46:42 pm »
Their website seems confused.  Stated prices seem random. And at present (12:46 GMT) I can only see the 40 items held in Finland!

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 12:48:40 pm »
Does anyone understand this auction?

All suddenly changed from a simple list of lots, now there are prices all over it, £200 for a couple of empty Tek 7603s anyone?

I have repeatedly emailed to ask how ti works, did get one phone call back but all the promised followup hasn't appeared.

Bit bizarre if you ask me.

No UK phone number? Read the bumf and they pride themselves on being responsive and really good guys. So far they haven't even got to the start point.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2019, 12:49:39 pm »
Yes, I also got just the 40 items in Finland, did something and the UK lots appeared, with really strange pricing.

Online pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2019, 01:02:35 pm »
It was working yesterday, with starting prices listed for all items. Now I can't get a full list - still stuck on Finland!
Just checked browser history.  They changed auction number today from 1062 to 1066.  1062 still exists with -49 (yes, minus 49) listings..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:16:24 pm by pamphonica »

Online pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2019, 01:23:12 pm »
Well, that's that then. 

Please be advised, the seller for the Lots in Teleford, UK had some last minute adjustments and the items were removed from this sale. They will be available at a later date. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank You,

EquipNet Auctions

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 01:36:27 pm »
Scenes from inside the organisation earlier:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 01:39:52 pm »
This feels like one of those stories that doesn't end well. 

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2019, 02:39:05 pm »
Well, that's that then. 

Please be advised, the seller for the Lots in Teleford, UK had some last minute adjustments and the items were removed from this sale. They will be available at a later date. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank You,

EquipNet Auctions

Well, I can still access the items and "place bid" and "auto proxy" buttons have appeared. Example: https://www.equipnet.com/auctions/hewlett-packard-54520a-oscilloscope-listid-608039/?show=y&auctionId=1066

But that might be because I bookmarked some items.

For that and because they emailed me my username and password (en clair, naturellement):

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory

Online pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 10:53:41 am »
I just got this email:

Please be advised that the Telford, UK assets that were originally scheduled for sale on 11/26/2019, that were removed from event - have now been rescheduled for sale on 12/4/2019. Copy the URL below or navigate to EquipNet.com/auctions and click on the calendar link for event 1083 Large Quantity of Electronic Testing Assets from Leading Manufacturer of ETM Equipment auction: https://www.equipnet.com/auctions/teleford-etm-auction/1083/

we'll have to wait till then....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 11:16:51 am »
I received that email as well. At a quick glance it appears everything is the same except the auction number.

I've asked, again, about any lift-out fees and whether collection in person is possible. Too early to expect a response.

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 11:32:36 am »
I noticed a couple of people commenting about the £400 refundable deposit. I'm reliably informed that the £400 deposit does not apply for this particular auction.

Regards postage/collection
 - Collection from Telford is possible, you will be given a contact name and number to arrange collection.
Alternatively you have 2 options:
1 - You can arrange a courier to pickup the items at the defined address in Telford
2 - Equipnet can arrange their couriers to pickup/deliver (I've no idea on costs I'm afraid. I guess it will vary depending on size/weight/number of items)

One more thing, if you registered for the original auction, you will need to re-register for the new auction dates.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:34:29 am by veedub565 »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 11:42:54 am »
Scenes from inside the organisation earlier:

I laught 3 solid minutes, no joke. Thank you.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:19 am »
There seem to be some bids now.

Is anyone likely to buy a few things and collect in person?  If so, I would like to talk to you!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 05:11:50 pm »

Is anyone likely to buy a few things and collect in person?  If so, I would like to talk to you!
There are a few bids, but very few. There is only a 2 day window for people to bid. That seems an odd choice. Its like they don't even want to sell. :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:10 pm »

There are a few bids, but very few. There is only a 2 day window for people to bid. That seems an odd choice. Its like they don't even want to sell. :)

I don't think the window is the problem. The short-notice resurrection just before Christmas might be an element.

The other point is that it isn't far off a tender auction: all bidding ends simultaneously, and there's no popcorn bidding. That restricts the ability to "buy more items to fully use the budget" strategy.

So, how many businesses are going to be bidding on some of the probably broken stuff there?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »

I don't think the window is the problem. The short-notice resurrection just before Christmas might be an element.

The other point is that it isn't far off a tender auction: all bidding ends simultaneously, and there's no popcorn bidding. That restricts the ability to "buy more items to fully use the budget" strategy.

So, how many businesses are going to be bidding on some of the probably broken stuff there?
I think most of the stuff is so old the market is largely amateurs. Exceptions being things like the simple power supplies, which are kinda timeless.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 09:12:09 pm »
I noticed a couple of people commenting about the £400 refundable deposit. I'm reliably informed that the £400 deposit does not apply for this particular auction.

Regards postage/collection
 - Collection from Telford is possible, you will be given a contact name and number to arrange collection.
Alternatively you have 2 options:
1 - You can arrange a courier to pickup the items at the defined address in Telford
2 - Equipnet can arrange their couriers to pickup/deliver (I've no idea on costs I'm afraid. I guess it will vary depending on size/weight/number of items)

One more thing, if you registered for the original auction, you will need to re-register for the new auction dates.
I just created a login ID, but when I went to "register for auction" they wanted $400 from a credit/debit card. For now, I haven't registered.

Update: This morning I got an email saying I am regustered, without me paying the $400, and it seems I can now bid.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:06:45 pm by coppice »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf